2018 Grand Final. Storm v Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Outrage sells papers. If everyone just went 'yep fair enough' then no one gets clicks. It's unfortunate that this has been the media's focus for four days now. It's almost like there isn't a big game at the end of the week that they could be hyping instead.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:
StormAchilles86 wrote:
RobbieRoss wrote:Great news re Billy.

In less exciting news, Klein is one of the refs. Sutton and Cummins were excellent last week and I was hoping for a repeat. Sutton has got the GF gig, but I fear Klein will step in with some stupid penalties against us.
Shame that Cecchin is not there, the NRL really needs to look at how the head of the Referee’s gives his brother the job as lead ref. Klein gave away a number of penalties for the Rabbits last week v the Roosters.
Are they actually related or do they just have the same surname?

Ceccin is the best ref in the game for mine. They probably didn't want to consider him given the rumors he's off to Super League.
Actually related. They are brothers.

Sutton (GF referee version) did some media yesterday and said that he had done a number of 3xGrand Finals/10xOrigins/WC Final/Etc before his brother even took the head referee gig, which is a fair point.

I actually much prefer Sutton over Cecchin. Cecchin has that Shayne Hayne/Bill Harrigan arrogance about him. Not a trait that I like in a referee. Ashley Klein is just incompetent.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Outrage sells papers. If everyone just went 'yep fair enough' then no one gets clicks. It's unfortunate that this has been the media's focus for four days now. It's almost like there isn't a big game at the end of the week that they could be hyping instead.
True. That b*tching and complaining is ingrained in the fabric of the game. From referee bashing, screams of conspiracy, to wanting opposition players to be injured. This bitchy attitude permeates throughout all areas of the game. The game fundamentally has a pretty serious cultural problem.

Comes with the territory I guess when the game is traditionally old-school, working class. It is the thing I dislike most about the game. The game itself (on field product) is unmatched.

Anyway - Is everyone confident heading in to the GF? I really feel it is ours to lose.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm never confident... not Alfie Langer levels of nervousness but close!
OnTheHill
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I’ve been a reader of this forum for years and really enjoy it. I used to put the odd post up many moons ago (I had to re-register it was that long ago) and reading a lot of the comments and articles about Billy’s charge I guess I wanted to have my 5c worth as well.

There was always going to be outrage whatever the result because we live in a world of keyboard warriors. The fact that several in the media (Webster, Read, Rothfield, Hughes to name a few) thought he should get off makes me more comfortable the right decision was made. Also more importantly two of the best refs in the last 20 or so years in Mander and Harrigan think the same.

For the record I love Billy as much as the next Storm fan (to the point I named one of my dogs after him - who is also a legend!). He, Craig and Cam have basically built the joint so to speak. I can remember how low things were in 2010 very clearly still and to think how we are run and our onfield results since is nothing short of outrageously incredible.

Anyway, I think the thing that is getting missed with the reaction of Paul Kent and to a (much) lesser extent Crawley and others is that their beef is with the NRL. As Crawley said last night it's not Billy's fault, let's look forward to him playing this weekend. To be honest IMO I was 20 yards from it on Friday night and thought he was lucky to get off and did it on basically a technicality as the rule is written (thank the good lord). PK is one of the few that continually take on the NRL and try and hold them accountable with how they run the game and that is what he was doing last night in regards to several aspects of how they handled the whole thing. They like everyone are entitled to their opinion and as long as they can back it up with a sensible reasoned argument then all good with me. If it is anti-Storm on a certain topic or issue it doesn't always mean they are bias and hate the club, city and state.

The problem to me is with the rule itself and the enforcement of it and it's gradings. What Billy did is not why the rule was brought in which is why (apart from being a Melbourne fan) I'm glad he got off. I think last night will actually see the NRL re-do the rule over summer and hopefully get it right as the shoulder charge - as most people think of it - has to be rightly banned from the game. It also doesn't open up everyone to shoulder charge now because if the rule changes previous charges aren't admissible as they were under a different version of the rule so everyone complaining about that just calm down!

Like I said just my thoughts. Billy has one game to go and I can't wait to get there on Sunday!

I thought there was a good vibe at last years GF between all supporters pre and post game. I think this year may be more like 2016 :)

Enjoy the game everyone and go the Storm!

PS - I would also like to admit publicly that I am a fan of Will Chambers. I realize there are maybe only 6-10 of us in total so I'll be sitting in section 140 on Sunday if any others are there and feel like you need a support group around you :lol:
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Every Sharks fan I shook hands with after 2016 was nothing but polite and pleasant
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To pick up on one of the many very good points made above by OnTheHill( you should post more often ), there is clearly a fundamental problem with the grading and points allocation system.

Jake Friend drops GI on his head, pleads guilty to that, and gets off with 75 points- and not one scintilla of criticism from those up north. Billy nearly misses the GF for a bump/tackle . Which was the potentially more dangerous action showing reckless disregard for an opponent ?

The system is flawed, along with the moral compass of those who attack the right of Billy to play.

I agree - this Sunday the atmosphere will not be pleasant.

Big game for Will. His nemesis Mitchell ( himself lucky to be playing - no one up north will mention that ) awaits.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even Will admits he hasn't got the wood on him yet! I reckon if he can shut him down Will gets the CCM.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also I'm getting back from the states on Friday... is there a supporters live site cos I don't wanna watch the game on my onesie at home!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Big Game Experience

MELBOURNE STORM
1. Billy Slater – 6GF, 31F, 31O, 30T
2. Suliasi Vunivalu – 2GF, 8F, 7T
3. Will Chambers – 4GF, 17F, 10O, 7T
4. Curtis Scott – 1GF, 5F
5. Josh Addo-Carr – 1GF, 5F, 3O
6. Cameron Munster – 2GF, 10F, 4O, 2T
7. Brodie Croft – 2F
8. Jesse Bromwich – 3GF, 18F, 24T
9. Cameron Smith – 6GF, 35F, 42O, 56T
10. Tim Glasby – 2GF, 11F, 3O
11. Felise Kaufusi – 1GF, 5F, 3O, 5T
12. Joe Stimson – 2F
13. Dale Finucane – 4GF, 18F
14. Kenneath Bromwich – 2GF, 12F, 3T
15. Christian Welch – 1GF, 4F
16. Brandon Smith – 2F
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona – 1GF, 7F, 5T
[36 Grand Finals, 192 Finals matches, 96 Origins, 139 Test matches]

18. Ryan Hoffman – 4GF, 22F, 14O, 6T
19. Jahrome Hughes - 0
20. Sam Kasiano – 1GF, 8F, 11T
21. Cheyse Blair – 1GF, 6F
[42 Grand Finals, 228 Finals matches, 110 Origins, 156 Test matches]

SYDNEY ROOSTERS
1. James Tedesco – 2F, 7O, 6T
2. Daniel Tupou – 1GF, 13F, 4O, 11T
3. Latrell Mitchell – 3F, 3O
4. Joseph Manu – 2F
5. Blake Ferguson – 9F, 7O, 7T
6. Luke Keary – 1GF, 8F
7. Mitchell Aubusson – 2GF, 18F
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves – 2GF, 14F, 23T
9. Jake Friend (c) – 2GF, 16F, 1T
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho – 7F, 8T
11. Boyd Cordner (c) – 1GF, 11F, 12O, 16T
12. Isaac Liu – 11F, 8T
13. Victor Radley – 2F
14. Dylan Napa – 8F, 5O, 3T
15. Zane Tetevano – 3F, 2T
16. Paul Momirovski – 1F
17. Ryan Matterson – 4F
[9 Grand Finals, 137 Finals matches, 38 Origins, 85 Test matches]

18. Lindsay Collins – 2F
19. Nat Butcher - 0
20. Sean O’Sullivan - 0
23. Cooper Cronk – 7GF, 34F, 23O, 38T
[16 Grand Finals, 173 Finals matches, 61 Origins, 123 Test matches]

Storm 1-17 big game experience advantage:
[27 Grand Finals, 55 Finals matches, 58 Origins, 54 Test matches]
Storm 1-21 big game experience advantage:
[26 Grand Finals, 55 Finals matches, 49 Origins, 33 Test matches]
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

There are some great matchups shaping up in this thing.

Slater vs Tedesco
Chambers vs Latrell
Scott vs Manu
Munster vs Keary
JAC vs Ferguson
Croft vs Cronk (potentially)
Kaufusi vs Cordner
B. Smith vs Radley
Bromwich vs JWH

Should be a good game
StormAchilles86
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

[quote="yourhero"][quote="LESStar58"][quote="StormAchilles86"][quote="RobbieRoss"]Great news re Billy.

In less exciting news, Klein is one of the refs. Sutton and Cummins were excellent last week and I was hoping for a repeat. Sutton has got the GF gig, but I fear Klein will step in with some stupid penalties against us

Listening to mark levy today on Macquarie sports radio here in Brisbane, he was saying that with the referees in the nrl threatening industrial action in regards to their pay/conditions. He was told by the head of the referees association that the younger Sutton brother (there are 3 of them in the NRL) he’s been given the backup touchie job for the Grand Final. levy also said that none of the Sutton brothers are members of the refs union and are not supporting the strike.

Nepotism at its finest!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was umming and ahing about going. We went as a family last year and had a ball but just a lot going on at the moment... With Billy getting off, I bit the bullet and booked again. Section 141. Not too far from last year’s seats.

Looking forward to celebrating back to back!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Feels like there's not a lot of hype heading into the GF :?

The RL media are doing what the RL media do - putting all of their effort into the negative. You have to go 13 NRL stories deep on news.com.au to find the first story about the GF :-\

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/more-stories

1. 'Outrageous' NRL team slammed
2. Cherry-Evans back in green and gold to skipper PM’s XIII
3. Cordner slams Slater verdict
4. NRL’s ‘embarrassing’ Billy Slater calamity
5. Hayne spears Storm with salary cap sledge
6. Jarryd Hayne is sick of the jokes
7. Why Billy Slater decision is a joke
8. Barba’s Saints promise before Cowboys return
9. Barba for Coote? St Helens hint at fullback swap with Cowboys
10. Rival skipper slams Slater verdict
11. Ponga deserving of Dally M gong says former 20-year-old winner
12. Broncos big call on Bennett’s future
13. Roosters make shock halfback selection
Utha
Squall
Squall

Shows you that the RL media in this country are pretty much junk.