PRELIMINARY FINAL - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Stimson has been somewhat hit and miss in 2018. I was very keen for him to win that left edge backrow position at the start of the year (and still think he is the best option available presently).

He has some very strong front on defence and his first contact is solid. He has put on a few bellringers this year.

When he has to start moving laterally though, his decision making and ability to get in front of the right man can sometimes be well off. Point in case the try he let in against Souths that very nearly cost us the game.

His running game has been solid without being excellent. Anyone following Tohu was bound to have a tough time though.

Hoffman gets dominated regulary in tackles and can spill the ball like few others... Stimson should (in my humble opinion) retain the starting backrower position for the forseeable future. Hopefully with experience some of the deficiencies in his game can be overcome. Our club has a knack for rolling out quality backrowers so I am not particularly concerned.
Well said. I've struggled to put my finger on why I'm a bit shaky on Joe and I think your point about his lateral movement hits the mark.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Does anybody here know enough of why Cronulla Reserve Grade accepted players from the Storm? And for how long did this relationship go on for?
I know they had to sever the agreement through conflict of interest but it would make an interesting story to the growing rivalry perhaps. Food for thought.
A few of our players would have played a long with a lot of these Sharks and obviously donned the cry baby blue, white and black.

Hoping like everyone else is, that everything clicks well for us on the night and we can do a real number on them with no injuries to our boys.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gaiscioch wrote:Does anybody here know enough of why Cronulla Reserve Grade accepted players from the Storm? And for how long did this relationship go on for?
I know they had to sever the agreement through conflict of interest but it would make an interesting story to the growing rivalry perhaps. Food for thought.
A few of our players would have played a long with a lot of these Sharks and obviously donned the cry baby blue, white and black.

Hoping like everyone else is, that everything clicks well for us on the night and we can do a real number on them with no injuries to our boys.
Gaiscioch some of our players played for Cronulla Sharks in NSW Cup between 2011 and 2014. With the Sharks winning the NSW Cup in 2013 from memory. As far as I know we had the alignment so our junior teams could play SG Ball and Harold Matthews. Teams like Manly and Canberra had their reserve team in Qld Cup (Sunshine Coast and Souths Logan). NSWRL weren't happy with this and made a rule that you had to have a reserve grade team in NSW Cup to play those junior competitions.

I think only two current Storm players played for Sharks - Suliasi Vunivalu and Nelson Asofa-Solomona. Other Storm players to play included Tonumaipea, Finch, Griffin, Moors, Roberts, Robinson, Fonua, Waqa, Weston, McLean and O'Neill.

Of the current Sharks squad ftom memory the following players played NSW Cup in Sharks-Storm team Valentine Holmes, Sosaia Feki, Ricky Leutele, Chad Townsend and Scott Sorensen and possibly Jason Bukuya.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

NRL 2018: Sharks star accuses Storm of practising niggling

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2 ... f516f84928

CRONULLA prop Matt Prior has thrown fuel on the fire ahead of Friday’s NRL preliminary showdown with bitter rivals Melbourne, accusing them of practising niggling.

While the NSW front-rower expressed his admiration for the Storm, declaring them the benchmark side of the last decade, he also put the spotlight on their wrestling and spoiling tactics.

“They’re all pretty good at (niggling). I think they practice it to be honest,” Prior told AAP.

“The little headlocks and arm grapples and all that little stuff, they’re pretty good at wrestling, they twist your arm, wrestle your head off. It’s all part of the game.”

The Sharks have long highlighted the Storm’s wrestling techniques, much to the annoyance of Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy.

Words have frequently been exchanged off the pitch, tempers boiled over on it. Melbourne centre Will Chambers will return from suspension in time to renew hostilities with Sharks skipper Paul Gallen as the sides fight it out for a place in the grand final.

Earlier in the season Chambers was rubbed out for two weeks for a grapple tackle on Gallen.

Last year the pair were involved in a heated slanging match after Chambers was picked up by on-field microphones calling Gallen a “drug cheat”.

They pair are unlikely to resume hostilities at AAMI Park with Gallen in serious doubt for the clash because of a shoulder injury.

Prior knew he plus fellow middle forwards Andrew Fifita and Aaron Woods will be expected to shoulder the load if Gallen doesn’t recover.

He described the Storm pack, led by Jesse Bromwich and the returning Nelson Asofa-Solomona, as the standard bearers for the competition.

“As a group we feel they’ve been the benchmark for the last few years and we’re a team that wants to be in that category,” Prior said.

“When you’re playing one of the best teams in the comp, you’ve got to rise to the challenge.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Scooter wrote:
Gaiscioch wrote:Does anybody here know enough of why Cronulla Reserve Grade accepted players from the Storm? And for how long did this relationship go on for?

Gaiscioch some of our players played for Cronulla Sharks in NSW Cup between 2011 and 2014. With the Sharks winning the NSW Cup in 2013 from memory. As far as I know we had the alignment so our junior teams could play SG Ball and Harold Matthews. Teams like Manly and Canberra had their reserve team in Qld Cup (Sunshine Coast and Souths Logan). NSWRL weren't happy with this and made a rule that you had to have a reserve grade team in NSW Cup to play those junior competitions.

I think only two current Storm players played for Sharks - Suliasi Vunivalu and Nelson Asofa-Solomona. Other Storm players to play included Tonumaipea, Finch, Griffin, Moors, Roberts, Robinson, Fonua, Waqa, Weston, McLean and O'Neill.

Of the current Sharks squad ftom memory the following players played NSW Cup in Sharks-Storm team Valentine Holmes, Sosaia Feki, Ricky Leutele, Chad Townsend and Scott Sorensen and possibly Jason Bukuya.
Thanks Scooter that was an awesome read and insight. Thanks for answering my questions. Some reporter should of created a story out of that somehow.
Thinking Matt Prior might of played for the Sharks NSW Cup too, I think. And George Rose must of played from the Storms roster.
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Wow, suprise suprise.... The sharks publicly whining before a game against Melbourne in the vauge hope of trying to influence the officials.
Flanno and Co really are predictable when it comes to doing that.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gaiscioch wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Thanks Scooter that was an awesome read and insight. Thanks for answering my questions. Some reporter should of created a story out of that somehow.
Thinking Matt Prior might of played for the Sharks NSW Cup too, I think. And George Rose must of played from the Storms roster.
No worries Gaiscioch. Not 100% sure re Prior but you would think he would have. Yes Rose played for the Sharks. Also of our current players Will Chambers played a couple of matches for Sharks in 2012 when he first returned from rugby union. Funnily enough on his Wikipedia page there is a photo of him in a Sharks jersey.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh Matt Prior... How rich...

Anyone remember Matt Scott just back from an ACL and Prior does this???

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yourhero Prior is not a Storm player ... nothing to see here.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i've stopped reading ALL articles that mention the peptide cheats in relation to playing Storm...there is nothing objective being written
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Brilliant photos YourHero, pretty funny stuff lol.
Prior is a subscriber to WWE, he definitely practices wrestling in his spare time lol.
B-Dub
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Does anybody know what time the boys are doing the captains run today?
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

B-Dub wrote:Does anybody know what time the boys are doing the captains run today?
Happening now I think.

Saw the live presser about an hour ago. Bellamy throwing shade at the Sharks for accusing us of being grubs. Great to see
B-Dub
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

moffla wrote:
B-Dub wrote:Does anybody know what time the boys are doing the captains run today?
Happening now I think.

Saw the live presser about an hour ago. Bellamy throwing shade at the Sharks for accusing us of being grubs. Great to see
Oh ok, thanks. Got off work early and was wondering whether it would be worth heading into town to try catch it. Never mind.

Haha, yeah pots and kettles bro.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If reports just coming in from Sydney now are to believed then Gallen has been ruled out