PRELIMINARY FINAL - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:I mean I hope he gets off but actually think we will do ok without him or is that just me
I agree. I hope and expect he will get off but even if they rule him out, Jahrome Hughes will come in and do a great job as always
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would there be any temptation to go with Drinkwater, especially if he goes well tomorrow? I think Hughes too but it's just a thought...
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:I mean I hope he gets off but actually think we will do ok without him or is that just me
A sneak preview of the future.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Deadpool wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I don't think anyone should be concerned about him missing the game fwiw.

I think what Slater did was the right thing to do but technically probably a shoulder charge. The NRL has shown to be pretty consistent in not charging similar tackles this season so my real problem with this is why is this tackle any different?
The difference is the media outcry
The Melbourne Storm are on a hiding to nothing on this one. If they successfully get Billy off by using evidence of other tackles that weren't penalised or were cleared at the judiciary we'll get crucified by the media, "they want Melbourne to win", "Billy the protected species", etc... It's a lose lose situation.
Now if only Billy had spread his arms and "chested" Feki out. Oh, and the BS about penalty try, pleaaase!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Bullucked wrote:
Deadpool wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I don't think anyone should be concerned about him missing the game fwiw.

I think what Slater did was the right thing to do but technically probably a shoulder charge. The NRL has shown to be pretty consistent in not charging similar tackles this season so my real problem with this is why is this tackle any different?
The difference is the media outcry
The Melbourne Storm are on a hiding to nothing on this one. If they successfully get Billy off by using evidence of other tackles that weren't penalised or were cleared at the judiciary we'll get crucified by the media, "they want Melbourne to win", "Billy the protected species", etc... It's a lose lose situation.
Now if only Billy had spread his arms and "chested" Feki out. Oh, and the BS about penalty try, pleaaase!
Melbourne Storm are and will always be crucified by the media period. It doesn't matter what we do.

I sincerely hope that Billy is exonerated at the judiciary and he goes on and plays a staring role in the winning team of the GF.

Wouldn't that have the circus foaming at the mouth.

They'd be beside themselves, decrying the injustice that sees Billy freed to play whilst conveniently turning a blind eye to similar plays that have gone unpunished the whole season.

But who'd care. Billy would have retired with another premiership ring, we'll hopefully be celebrating a new premiership and the circus will be helpless to do anything about it and will move onto its next target.

So for mine, it's a win win for the Melbourne Storm. Hater's always gonna hate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote:
The Melbourne Storm are on a hiding to nothing on this one. If they successfully get Billy off by using evidence of other tackles that weren't penalised or were cleared at the judiciary we'll get crucified by the media,
Was just watching Fox sports and they said we can't use similar examples that weren't cited as precedence in our case, only ones that were cited unfortunately which I think is bullshit.

They game and example of a Penrith player (can't recall who) this year which was equal or even 'worse' than Bill's and wasn't even penalised at the time. But yeah, we can't use that as an example....
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Is Jake Friend going to be put on report for his spear tackle on Damien Cook?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Bullucked wrote:
The Melbourne Storm are on a hiding to nothing on this one. If they successfully get Billy off by using evidence of other tackles that weren't penalised or were cleared at the judiciary we'll get crucified by the media,
Was just watching Fox sports and they said we can't use similar examples that weren't cited as precedence in our case, only ones that were cited unfortunately which I think is bullshit.

They game and example of a Penrith player (can't recall who) this year which was equal or even 'worse' than Bill's and wasn't even penalised at the time. But yeah, we can't use that as an example....
That is the way the judiciary works unfortunately. You can only present examples in defence, where a player has been charged in the last two years.

Makes sense in a normal court of law (a person can’t say, “well this guy didn’t get charged with a crime and it is the exact same circumstance as me, so let me go”) - but the footy field isn’t the real world. A lack of consistency in either court undermines the entire justice system.

I hold out hope that the panel - being three ex-players - will apply some player’s context and common sense to the decision.

Dallas Johnson used to appear on the panel. Hopefully he gets a call up :)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

estormboy wrote:Is Jake Friend going to be put on report for his spear tackle on Damien Cook?
Just here watching and discussing with my mate and I said that doesn't bode well for us. My theory being is I don't think there's a hope in hell Friend gets off on that and if they rub him out they'll have to rub Bill out as well as a square top. I don't think there's any chance they'll let off both and/or just rub out the one.

The positive being of the Chooks get through and we lose Bill and they lose Friend, he's a pretty important cog in their side and he'll be missed.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Would there be any temptation to go with Drinkwater, especially if he goes well tomorrow? I think Hughes too but it's just a thought...
Hughes is much better and Drinkwater would only be playing his 2nd game. It would be an extraordinary gamble.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surely with Friend gone and Cronk struggling with a shoulder we want the Chooks to get up? Not to mention it'd be a shitload more satisfying beating Cronk in the GF :lol:
Last edited by Ice on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last edited by Ice on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:Surely with Friend gone and Drink struggling with a shoulder we want the Chooks to get up? Not to mention it'd be a shitload more satisfying beating Craonk in the GF :lol:
+1
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep. Chooks please, minus Cronk and Friend who will almost certainly be out.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just further to my tin foil hat conspiracy theory, with Friend all but gone and Cronk being busted I'm thinking there's a much greater chance that Bill won't get off sadly. There's not a snowflakes chance in hell they'll give us a leg up like that IMO