PRELIMINARY FINAL - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's tough to leave a long-term, loyal servant out, I get that... but nostalgia has absolutely no place here. You pick the best 17 to get the job done. Surely not even Bellamy could mount an argument for Hoffman being a better bench inclusion that Smith.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hoffman wasn't picked week 1. Not sure what would be different for an even more important game two weeks later.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS on the bench does not fill me with confidence I don't think hes fit enough or fully recovered but it has to be done
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

His fitness level? Surely you need Brandon Smith in.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:NAS on the bench does not fill me with confidence I don't think hes fit enough or fully recovered but it has to be done
I agree to a point somewhat but the reward is far greater than any risk (if any) You can reduce NAS's minutes to ease him back from his lack of game time in recent weeks, but he can still have a massive impact impact when he's on the field for however long that is and he'll be much better for the run should we go through to the decider.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

While like everyone else I’m not happy with Brandon not being in the 17, everybody has got to chill a little. When was the last time Bellamy went 1-17 without making changes. I’m not gunna get upset by Brandon missing out until he is actually taken off the team listed
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
nacho wrote:NAS on the bench does not fill me with confidence I don't think hes fit enough or fully recovered but it has to be done
I agree to a point somewhat but the reward is far greater than any risk (if any) You can reduce NAS's minutes to ease him back from his lack of game time in recent weeks, but he can still have a massive impact impact when he's on the field for however long that is and he'll be much better for the run should we go through to the decider.
Valid but i think thats like counting your chickens before they hatch, I'd be going balls deep to get into the final regardless. I think its known that the more time NAS spends on the field, generally the better we are for it.

Either way Sharks have made it abundantly clear they are going to make it an extremely physical and niggling affair and aiming at our leaders. Which honestly I think is exactly what other teams fail to do. It is no surprise their record against us over recent years is one of the best.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sharks Line Up:

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Jesse Ramien
4. Ricky Leutele
5. Edrick Lee
6. Matt Moylan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Luke Lewis
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Paul Gallen

14. Scott Sorensen
15. James Segeyaro
16. Aaron Woods
17. Jayson Bukuya

18. Josh Dugan
19. Ava Seumanufagai
20. Joseph Paulo
21. Kyle Flanagan

Jesse Ramien retains his place at centre with Josh Dugan under an injury cloud on an extended bench. Paul Gallen has also been named but is in severe doubt.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Hoffman wasn't picked week 1. Not sure what would be different for an even more important game two weeks later.
He was picked I'm pretty sure - late change. I'm thinking it might be the same this week
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This was the team that played in the first week of finals.

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Cheyse Blair
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
19. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Tim Glasby
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Joe Stimson
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
17. Kenny Bromwich
20. Sam Kasiano
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hoffman was named 18th man in week 1 of finals.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If Hoffman has to take anyone's spot I'd prefer it was Joe's. I haven't been super impressed with his performances of late. His potential is far higher than Hoffman's but I just haven't seen it in recent games. Hopefully he comes out on Friday and makes me look stupid.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stimson hasn't really done a lot to prove he's a future starter in the backrow. He's been fortunate Hoffman is his only real competition.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stimson has been somewhat hit and miss in 2018. I was very keen for him to win that left edge backrow position at the start of the year (and still think he is the best option available presently).

He has some very strong front on defence and his first contact is solid. He has put on a few bellringers this year.

When he has to start moving laterally though, his decision making and ability to get in front of the right man can sometimes be well off. Point in case the try he let in against Souths that very nearly cost us the game.

His running game has been solid without being excellent. Anyone following Tohu was bound to have a tough time though.

Hoffman gets dominated regulary in tackles and can spill the ball like few others... Stimson should (in my humble opinion) retain the starting backrower position for the forseeable future. Hopefully with experience some of the deficiencies in his game can be overcome. Our club has a knack for rolling out quality backrowers so I am not particularly concerned.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What's the ticket sales looking like for this? Who's the guy from 2 weeks ago with the inside word? Hopefully 20K minimum