QUALIFYING FINAL - Storm vs Rabbitohs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Friday 7th September
7:50pm
AAMI Park

Win and we get another home prelim and decent shot at another GF.

Our forwards must lift big time after being utterly embarrassed last time around...
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Our forwards must lift big time after being utterly embarrassed last time around...
YH
When do you reckon the last time was our forwards lifted, i'm struggling to think of an occasion? This situation goes back to the start of the year and Croft's initial poor showings.
It pains me to say it but we need big Sam fit and raring to go. A few other blokes need crackers inserted up the proverbial too. :shock2:
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rabbitohs form line heading into this game - 2 Wins/3 Losses (15+ Points Differential).

(Round / Result / Opponent / Margin)

R25- Win (Home) - Tigers - 41 Points
R24 - Loss (Away) - Raiders - 12 Points
R23 - Loss (Away) - Broncos - 20 Points
R22 - Loss (Home) - Roosters - 4 Points
R21 - Win (Home) - Storm - 10 Points

—————

Storm form line heading into this game - 2 Wins/3 Losses (-1 Point Differential). This will be our 4th Home game in 5 weeks.

(Round / Result / Opponent / Margin)

R25 - Loss (Home) - Panthers - 6 Points
R24 - Win (Away) - Titans - 2 Points
R23 - Win (Home) - Eels - 16 Points
R22 - Loss (Home) - Sharps - 3 Points
R21 - Loss (Away) - Rabbitohs - 10 Points
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

South's have never won in Melbourne in 14 attempts
Monsoon
Monsoon

Our forwards have been great the last few weeks I’m not sure what games you guys have been watching

Vs Parramatta

J.Bromwich - 172 metres & 28 tackles
Welch - 95 metres & 29 tackles
Kaufusi - 111 metres & 33 tackles
Stimson - 110 metres & 36 tackles
Finucane - 157 metres & 27 tackles

Vs Titans

J.Bromwich - 140 metres & 31 tackles
Welch - 51 metres & 31 tackles
Kaufusi - 116 metres & 37 tackles
Stimson - 90 metres & 45 tackles
Finucane - 92 metres & 33 tackles

Vs Panthers

J.Bromwich - 153 metres & 25 tackles
Welch - 103 metres & 26 tackles
Kaufusi - 93 metres & 33 tackles
Stimson - 59 metres & 27 tackles
Finucane - 171 metres & 24 tackles

Bromwich and Finucane in particular are on fire and with the quality coming back from injury this week I think these guys can help lead us to glory!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote:
yourhero wrote: Our forwards must lift big time after being utterly embarrassed last time around...
YH
When do you reckon the last time was our forwards lifted, i'm struggling to think of an occasion? This situation goes back to the start of the year and Croft's initial poor showings.
It pains me to say it but we need big Sam fit and raring to go. A few other blokes need crackers inserted up the proverbial too. :shock2:
Unfortunately I don’t think we have had one dominant game all season :(

I said somewhere else that we looked to lift after Craig called them out after the Sharks game but it was very short lived.

Vete showed more in his one opportunity than a number of guys in the usual 17. Kasiano has had his issues with ball handling and discipline but has that critical ingredient we have been sorely lacking - power running into quick play the balls.

As I suspected following the GF last year, we have felt the losses of McLean and Tohu more than we have Cronk. Those big bodies gave us plenty of post contact metres and pack dominance. Welch and Hoffman/Stimson clearly don’t have the same impact.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:Bromwich and Finucane in particular are on fire
I agree with this. Jesse and Finucane are playing tough/very well. Kaufusi also definitely pulling his weight.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

A shame it is Friday night, clashing with AFL at the G, but it had to be so once we lost the top spot. Sharks played today and had to be given a 6 day break, I think. Hopefully that loss of a day will not mean the difference between some of the boys getting up for the game or not.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone know whrn the club is emailing out our passwords/access codes for tickets?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote:Anyone know whrn the club is emailing out our passwords/access codes for tickets?
Supposed to be today sometime according to the club website
https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/2018- ... ticketing/
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I got my email at 11:20 last night with my code
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:
1999 wrote:Bromwich and Finucane in particular are on fire
I agree with this. Jesse and Finucane are playing tough/very well. Kaufusi also definitely pulling his weight.
Dale had >100m before halftime against the panthers.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:Our forwards have been great the last few weeks I’m not sure what games you guys have been watching

Vs Parramatta

J.Bromwich - 172 metres & 28 tackles
Welch - 95 metres & 29 tackles
Kaufusi - 111 metres & 33 tackles
Stimson - 110 metres & 36 tackles
Finucane - 157 metres & 27 tackles

Vs Titans

J.Bromwich - 140 metres & 31 tackles
Welch - 51 metres & 31 tackles
Kaufusi - 116 metres & 37 tackles
Stimson - 90 metres & 45 tackles
Finucane - 92 metres & 33 tackles

Vs Panthers

J.Bromwich - 153 metres & 25 tackles
Welch - 103 metres & 26 tackles
Kaufusi - 93 metres & 33 tackles
Stimson - 59 metres & 27 tackles
Finucane - 171 metres & 24 tackles

Bromwich and Finucane in particular are on fire and with the quality coming back from injury this week I think these guys can help lead us to glory!
Finucane's been immense. The guy's everywhere.

The big issue is the execution inside the 20 - badly need to change something around there. At the moment, the guys are a bit too sideways for my liking. The attack needs to straighten before spreading to the edges.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/ ... l-preview/

Storm v Rabbitohs: Qualifying final preview
NRL.com
Sun 2 Sep 2018

When Cooper Cronk left the Melbourne Storm and headed to Sydney, many thought the Storm’s golden era was coming to an end. How wrong they were.

The Storm have enjoyed another top-two finish and earned a home final despite not finding a permanent replacement for the talented No.7.

Cronk may be gone, but in Cameron Smith and Billy Slater they still boast two of the game’s elite players.

South Sydney’s return to prominence under the guidance of rookie coach Anthony Seibold has been rapid, and impressive.

Sam Burgess has turned in another impressive year, but it is the re-emergence of two bothers Tom and George Burgess that has played the biggest role in South Sydney’s success.

With their forwards firing, and a refreshed Greg Inglis back and ready to create havoc out wide, the Rabbitohs have every right to enter the finals feeling good about their chances.

Key match-up: Cameron Smith v Damien Cook. The two best hookers in the NRL each bring a different set of skills. Smith is the master game manager while Cook’s speed out of dummy half started dozens of attacking raids for the Rabbitohs in 2018.

For the Storm to win: The Storm forward pack need to stand up to what will be an early onslaught from the Burgess brothers. The trio are sure to be looking to establish dominance in the middle of the park in the first 20 minutes.

For the Rabbitohs to win: Greg Inglis looks to be ready to fire over the next few weeks. If he, Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston are able to find open spaces, South Sydney are capable of scoring some superb long-range tries.

Storm Stat Attack: While an undermanned Storm side was beaten by Penrith last weekend, there were some positive signs from a couple of Storm forwards. Lock Dale Finucane ran for 171m from 20 carries, while prop Jesse Bromwich (153m) also showed he is ready to the finals.

Rabbitohs Stat Attack: When it comes to using the ball – and making good use of it – the Rabbitohs were a clear leader in 2018. They led the NRL in points scored, tries scored, line breaks, total run metres and line break assists.

And another thing: If the Storm beat South Sydney and then win their preliminary final in two weeks' time, their trip to Sydney for the grand final will be their first game in the Harbour City since August 3. Their only trip out of Melbourne in that time was to the Gold Coast.

----------

Melbourne Storm v South Sydney Rabbitohs, Friday 7.40pm at AAMI Park

Head-to-head in NRL era: Played 29; Storm 24 wins, Rabbitohs 5 wins
Previous result: Rabbitohs won 30-20 at ANZ Stadium in round 21
Points per game (regular season): Storm 22.3 (5th); Rabbitohs 24.3 (1st)
Points conceded per game (regular season): Storm 15.1 (2nd); Rabbitohs 18.2 (4th)
Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League