Salary cap auditor investigates Cameron Smith testimonials

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Salary cap auditor investigates Cameron Smith testimonials

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/salary ... 5017v.html

The NRL’s investigation into third-party deals at Cronulla has dominated the game this week, but there is another situation causing concern in club land: Cameron Smith’s testimonials.

We revealed a few weeks back that Smith was having a testimonial lunch to celebrate his great career and lucky fans could fork out a couple of hundred bucks to watch him be praised.

We asked if it was for charity – hoping it was – but received no response from the club, so we can only assume it’s not.

This is not Smith’s final year in the NRL. He has confirmed he will go around again next year.
Now we can reveal the NRL salary cap auditor is taking a keen interest in Smith’s various testimonials. In February, he played in a match with Johnathan Thurston, who is retiring.

It seems former NRL chief executive Dave Smith agreed to Smith getting a testimonial match and two tribute lunches before he retires. Smith’s agent has been telling clubs there are no limits on his lunches and other fundraisers. Clearly he is telling stories to rile other clubs.

When rival clubs become aware of this special dispensation for Smith, they will be annoyed. Especially those teams that have applied for testimonials for their players and been knocked back.

Since our item about Smith’s lunch, other clubs have expressed concern that this could be a way to get around the salary cap by ensuring Smith gets money outside his contract. Clubs have a huge distrust of the Storm.

We can reveal the NRL’s salary cap auditors are on the case and have already negotiated to have one of the lunches removed from the agreement. They have also told the Storm they have the power to include any funds raised from the events in the club’s salary cap if they believe Smith is being offered a lower contract than he deserves.

In other words, if the Storm have reduced Smith’s contract by, say, $100,000 because he has already secured that amount from his testimonial events, the NRL can still add the $100,000 into the Storm’s salary cap.

It’s a clear sign the NRL is angered by the deal Dave Smith did for Cam Smith.

Club bosses we have talked to are delighted the NRL is investigating the matter.
Smith announced this week that he will play again next season, which is excellent news for the Storm as he is a great of the game. But the grab for testimonial dollars says a lot about his character.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Solid troll job from Weedler to rile everyone up. This is probably a nothing story for the club.

I've always hated how the NRL can limit the money a player makes outside of their salary. Also hate how they can rule on what a player thinks he deserves or is worth.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

estormboy wrote:But the grab for testimonial dollars says a lot about his character.
The entire ‘story’ reeks of painful bitterness. That last line is just ridiculous :lol:

How does this piece of sh*t still get work?
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

One would think that the Club would have this all sorted out before doing it - geez where do these so called journos get off
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I didn't think they were allowed to make things up. The cost of the lunch included the meal/drinks/room hire/paying for storm people to attend. Storm staff/players don't pay for these things, it is in the price to other patrons. I doubt there would be much over to make a profit, let alone give it to Smith in salary. Storm would not be so stupid .
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:I didn't think they were allowed to make things up. The cost of the lunch included the meal/drinks/room hire/paying for storm people to attend. Storm staff/players don't pay for these things, it is in the price to other patrons. I doubt there would be much over to make a profit, let alone give it to Smith in salary. Storm would not be so stupid .
My thoughts exactly, how much profit could they even make on these lunches?
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Mud slinging distraction heading into the finals.... There's a suprise...

Given how often we shed players to remain cap compliant, there's no way I can see us trying to pull a Swifty on the testimonial front for such a small amount of gain vs the potential damage it could cause.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The TL:DR version:

Shane Flannigan goes whining to the NRL. NRL auditors doing their job and checking that everything is above board with an already approved agreement.
Grubby journo who dislikes Smith looking to make some mileage.

Nothing to see here.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nrl cant say you can have then once its done say they cant....the storm would've gone through the nrl with their lawyers they aren't dumb
storminghome
Squall
Squall

So does that mean even if we win the Premiership this year it will be taken off us?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think that's exactly what it means.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:nrl cant say you can have then once its done say they cant....
Wouldn't be the first time. Our first salary cap 'breaches' were in the early 2000s when the NRL changed the rules and penalised us for previously approved third party agreements. (To do with Mooks if I recall)
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Danger D wrote:I think that's exactly what it means.
Only in Widdler's wet dreams.