Round 22 - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When Smith is having an off game the team has next to zero composure or organisation to it. This game and the way the season looks to be heading is on our 3 most experience leaders - Bellamy, Smith, and Slater.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Our forward pack has been hugely disappointing the last few weeks. Bromwich had a go but nobody else did. NAS needs to pull his finger out, was great at the start of the year but has gone downhill since about our first game against the Sharks. Brandon Smith needs to come back into the team, we needed a spark of the bench and he provides that. Our kicking game today was terrible, apart from Munsters kick for Billy and Hughes kick for the forced drop out, we really didn’t have much by way of the boot, Cam Smith had a shocker.

On a positive note, it’s better to get these bad games out of the system now instead of finals time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well that was really disappointing. I thought Munster was terrific, and a couple of the big guys were strong ( but nowhere as many offloads as the Sharks ), but we seemed to be on the back foot all day.

Just a blade of grass from hitting the front through Joe ( who otherwise had a poor game ) , but frankly we were outplayed.

Those who seemed to be comfortable about where we were sitting will presumably realise we are a long way off it. We went into the weekend with no injuries, so today was apparently the best team we could put on the field. Three weeks out from the finals - yikes !
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How did Kasiano go in Q Cup? I think he will be quickly back into the 17 and told to play a simple game. Run hard, no offloads, no PTB errors, no silly penalties.
storminghome
Squall
Squall

I’m so angry at the result. I feel like hitting something
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:How did Kasiano go in Q Cup? I think he will be quickly back into the 17 and told to play a simple game. Run hard, no offloads, no PTB errors, no silly penalties.
I know he scored a try but other then that I don’t have a clue. I would bring him back in, he’s good at those quick ptb’s that could really get us going. So next week Smith and Kasiano in, but who drops out? Hoffman and Bromwich? Maybe Welch or Glasby?
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hoffman done his hamstring so he's out.

Bring in Brandon, slamming sam and vete
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

A few hours after the game, had a great time driving home with the AFL MCG crowd, but have calmed down a bit..

So not the end of the world. Yep we have to win our last 3, and we have to barrack for Bris and Canberra to fire up the next 2 weeks. They both play Souths and Easts, and we need one of those to lose so we can get back into the top 2..

Parra of course has hit form, but if we don't smash them we don't deserve to be there. Ditto GC. Then the last round v Penrith becomes huge.

A word about Hoffy. Yes I would not have him in the team today. However I absolutely recognise what a fantastic contribution he has made to our club. Gave his all every week. Premiership player, represented his State and country with distinction. In this his final season, gave us a great reminder of his attitude with those 2 charge downs to get us a win earlier in the season. Well done Ryan.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:How did Kasiano go in Q Cup? I think he will be quickly back into the 17 and told to play a simple game. Run hard, no offloads, no PTB errors, no silly penalties.
Didn’t notice him punching many holes or offloading. Vete was much more of a handful. Brandon smith owner the game for 40 mins.

I think Kasiano has been a poor purchase compared to the whole left to fill (McLean). Granted big boots but we were better getting a solid high minutes prop and keeping NAS on the bench. I reckon Heighington would have been a better pick up...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kasiano was making more metres per carry than any other forward. Also the most post contact metres and probably the quickest play the balls. Three of the most important parts of a forward’s game.

Kasiano let himself (and the team) down with silly errors, pushed passes, penalties and suspension. His running game was solid.

Refereeing crackdown played a part. As did his poor handling. Suspension. Two untimely injuries. All prevented Kas getting into form and building on minutes played.

Disappointing first season (based on expectation) but I am far from putting a red line through him. I still think he can find career best form at the Storm and also play an important part in 2018.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The coach said in the press conference for Storm to show so hunger or he would find some players that would. Well pick them. B. Smith so hunger every time he runs yet he is playing in Q cup. Hughes is a good player but he is not a half back. Both Croft and Jacks are better half backs than him. There is three players with hunger pick them.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In the post match presser, Craig questioned the effort and hunger of the players. Fair enough too.

Reading into some of his comments, he didn’t sound happy with the halves at all. Openly questioned why we were getting tackled on the last when we have players whose job it is to ensure we don’t. Also spoke to poor game management... Suggested changes could be made.

I think Croft may come in for Hughes. That doesn’t address root cause though, which is winning the middle third/ruck battle.

Brandon coming in is a no brainer. Two weeks without him is a team selection error. We regularly discuss players making mistakes - it happens. We all make them... Bellamy is not made of gold and immune from errors himself.
storminghome
Squall
Squall

Not sure what you guys see in Stimson. He was quite awful and then cost us the game by being held up over the line.

Welch also adds nothing to the team and cost us the 2016 Grand Final.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When the team needs a spark and the players coming off the bench are Tim Glasby, Christian Welch, Ryan Hoffman and Kenny Bromwich, I'm not really feeling confident.
The positive is we were a final touch from scoring several times and despite some horrible kicking and passing we only lose by 3.
Personally I prefer Croft over any other halfback choice we have, obviously Brandon Smith comes back onto the bench for any of them really. We don't win this premiership with Hughes at 7, Croft gives us a chance imo.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy not being happy with the halves is pretty funny to me. Not that I don't think they're without blame but what is he expecting when we've got a makeshift halfback at one spot and a guy learning to be the game breaker + game manager at the same time in the other. This is what he wanted when he didn't trust the actual halfback in the team.