Round 22 - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I love Jahrome Hughes but agree he isn't a half back. I agree Croft needs to replace him. Then Hughes can come back in to fullback to replace Billy next year.

I agree with Bula re lack of energy from the bench. Although I think that Welch provided the best impact from the bench yesterday. I would like to see B Smith and Vete on the bench.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

14. Brandon Smith
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Tim Glasby
17. Albert Vete

Three of those players bring impact, one plays a tough straight up and down game. Won't happen though.

Brandon should come straight in at 14, particularly with a bench spot open.

Kenny usually provides stability in defence up the middle which Craig won't move away from, despite his lack of impact with the ball. Everyone expects Craig to just name Joe as starting backrower now that Hoffman is injured but it wouldn't surprise me if he put Kenny there :roll: I doubt Vete gets a start with K Brom in the team, which is a shame given what we saw from Vete in his only opportunity.

Welch has done an admirable job this year without being a stand out. Certainly has curtailed his sneaky, underhand offload which is unfortunate... it was one of his best assets last year and we created try scoring opportunities off the back of a few. Kasiano most likely to come in for Welch.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't care who they throw in the halves, if our forwards are playing with a lack of effort & intensity, and aren't laying down a decent platform for everyone else, they will all fail. None of Croft, Jacks, Hughes, or even Cronk for that matter, would be able to create much behind our current impotency in the forwards.

The Sharks game saw a minor improvement in patches, but far too often they are being dominated or are just leaving it to our backs to do the tough stuff. It's not what the Rabbits or Roosters do, and that's why they've gone ahead of us. It's either a lack of effort/desire, or they just aren't fit enough... or perhaps it's both.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote:I don't care who they throw in the halves, if our forwards are playing with a lack of effort & intensity, and aren't laying down a decent platform for everyone else, they will all fail. None of Croft, Jacks, Hughes, or even Cronk for that matter, would be able to create much behind our current impotency in the forwards.

The Sharks game saw a minor improvement in patches, but far too often they are being dominated or are just leaving it to our backs to do the tough stuff. It's not what the Rabbits or Roosters do, and that's why they've gone ahead of us. It's either a lack of effort/desire, or they just aren't fit enough... or perhaps it's both.
Spot on mate. Croft lost his spot in the first place trying to play behind a well beaten pack.

Last tackle options need to be addressed 100%. We have struggled all year in this department and should not be getting caught on the last as often as we have. This cannot go un-checked... However, that is not the primary cause for concern. Get the pack firing on all cylinders.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The players who I felt had the most 'hunger' in that game were the usual culprits: JAC, Munster and Finucane. They seemed to play with intensity through most of the game. The only other player on our roster who plays with effort week-in-week-out is B Smith. Hughes also tries hard but is playing in an unfamiliar position. Some big decisions for Craig and the coaching staff coming up.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

JAC is a real standout for getting everything he can in everything he does. His huge run should have swung the game in our favour yesterday. He's been one of our 3 best all season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know it shouldn't surprise, but some of the commentary about Cam Smith's tackle on Feki has been humerous. Someone fends you in the chest whilst you are trying to tackle them, you're going to grab what you can and try and bring them to ground.

If it wasn't Smith/a Storm player, it doesn't even get mentioned... yet the Sydney media/fans cry about 'preferential treatment' by the MRC? I hate the pettiness of our game. It really is a childish most of the time.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know the usual anti-Storm/anti-Smith/grubby/wrestling spin has been applied to this (like no other players/teams do what we do), but Cam & Felise's tackles didn't look good, and I was expecting a whistle to be blown at the time for both.

Imagine though if all non-Storm tackles were placed under the same scrutiny by the media...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I clicked on the replies to a tweet last night and was surprised at the amount of people saying the tackle was fine.

I think we do get away with little things because off who we are but the difference in how our "dirty" tactics are covered compared to other clubs is night and day. Hayne got accidentally kicked in the face the other night and there was nothing about it. Slater did it once and he was cast as the biggest villain in the game.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote:I clicked on the replies to a tweet last night and was surprised at the amount of people saying the tackle was fine.

I think we do get away with little things because off who we are but the difference in how our "dirty" tactics are covered compared to other clubs is night and day. Hayne got accidentally kicked in the face the other night and there was nothing about it. Slater did it once and he was cast as the biggest villain in the game.

Agree - I think the thing that totally gets me down is the complete HYSTERIA that surrounds our team - it's like every move we make is slowed down - replayed within an oomph of it's life and run through with a fine tooth comb
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It really has felt like a constant media slur campaign aimed at Cam this year - it's strange how hard they've gone at the bloke to be honest, even for Sydney media!

I'm not sure if the agenda is to drive him out of the game because they're sick of his success or what it is but the tackle on the weekend was fine, which is why nothing happened.