Munster being chased by Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storminghome
Squall
Squall

Reports today stating that unless Storm sign Munster by the 1st November, he's likely to leave as he will be commanding close to 7 figures.

Apparently Roosters have some salary cap space to grab him.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storminghome wrote:Apparently Roosters have some salary cap space to grab him.
:lol: :lol: Of course they do. Still have some cap space from when Freddy retired.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster's manager will be screaming at him not to sign anything until after the deadline. Which is fair enough.

We will have the cash to compete for his services in 2020 with Slater gone by then. There are just a few questions;

1. How much are we willing to pay for him?;
2. How much does he want to lead the Storm brand into the future as essentially the face of the club?;
3. How much does he believe the Storm have and continue to contribute to his personal success?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I honestly think this has legs.
Munster is second only to Ponga as the best young player in Rugby League.

Munster would be signed by now if he was staying. The longer he stays unsigned, the more likely he is to go.

If he leaves the Storm are cactus as he is the future we were going to build on. Munster may be the best player in the NRL by as early as next year.

What the Roosters can offer is media and third parties and the type of limelight he probably wants.

For mine, at 23 years of age, Munster could grow into being the best player in the competition in the next couple of years. Has already played in a Premiership and winning Origin series, and taken his game to the next level since moving from fullback to five-eighth.
He is a very instinctive player that demands the ball, a very strong ball runner, and a courageous player who will always put his body on the line.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Roosters will have cap space - remember they will be losing Cronk who is on 1.2mil or something, so unless others are backended, they have cash to splash in the halves.

I personally think he'll stay, if Bellamy had gone, then I would think the opposite. The reports yesterday were that a few Syd clubs are interested (who wouldn't be!, but that we're confident he'll stay)
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

As early as May 6th, we were told that Munster was just waiting for Bellyache to resign. Well that has all happened now and we still here nothing.

There must be a lot to it as Munster is quiet as a church mouse. And no one is asking him yet Billy gets asked every interview if he is retiring?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/09/cam ... ion-looms/

Cameron Munster has put aside a turbulent off-season and has arguably been Melbourne's best performer during the first nine rounds of the competition.

The Storm, who recently pulled a long-term offer off the table, are now trying to extend Munster's contract beyond his current deal which expires at the end of 2019, and have always hoped he would lead the club into the post-big three era when Cameron Smith and Billy Slater follow Cooper Cronk in calling time on their Melbourne careers.

This is not in breach of the NRL rules. The Cowboys are entitled to talk with Munster even though he has 18 months to run on his contract, however they are unable to table him a formal offer until November 1 or the Storm grant him permission.

Munster is from Rockhampton and has friends and family close by. The Cowboys are also likely to have plenty of salary cap space considering the expected retirement of Johnathan Thurston at the end of the year.

The Cowboys, who have also been linked to Valentine Holmes, didn't deny they'd been in dialogue with Munster when asked by NRL.com, but a lot could hinge on what Bellamy decides to do when his contract expires at the end of this season.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is out in the open now. BIG NEWS!

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... nbgkb62268

Sydney clubs zero in on 'million dollar' Cameron Munster as Melbourne Storm sweat on market battle

Melbourne are fearing Cameron Munster may choose to test himself on the open market in a bid to boost his value, putting a worrying speedbump in their retention plans.

Like Nathan Cleary, Munster is free to negotiate with rivals clubs on November 1, leaving the Storm with less than three months to lock in a new deal. O0

It is believed the Queensland five-eighth has plans to continue his career down south after seeing Craig Bellamy reject Brisbane and recommit long-term, but Melbourne are concerned his price may sky rocket and put a complication in their negotiations.

MORE: Phil Gould responds to Anthony Griffin rumours, Michael Maguire named as Trent Barrett replacement

Speaking to Sporting News, The Australian’s Brent Read revealed there were three Sydney clubs in the hunt for his services who are willing to spend big dollars and put up a fight against favourites Melbourne.

‘’I think he’s the hottest player in the game at the moment, he’s the form player of the NRL,’’ Read said.

‘’Melbourne haven’t locked him down yet. He’s off contract at the end of 2019 like Nathan Cleary, like Valentine Holmes.

‘’There’s at least three Sydney clubs circling him at the moment. Melbourne are looking to lock him away and I think his preference is to stay, but there’s three Sydney clubs.

‘’If the Cowboys don’t get Val Holmes they’re going to have a red-hot go at Cameron Munster.

‘’The Storm have three months to get a deal done or he’ll go to market.’’

Unlike Cleary and Holmes who have been closely linked to the Tigers and Cowboys respectively, Munster hasn’t attracted the same signing rumours as his rivals.

Melbourne have a knack for getting their man, but Read believes there isn’t a complete confidence they will retain Munster.

‘’I think they are sweating a bit and are a little concerned about it,’’ he said.

‘’I think he will stay and in my eyes is a million-dollar player. If we’re going to give Nathan Cleary a million dollars, Cameron Munster is a better player than Nathan Cleary every day of the week.

‘’The Storm have got Cameron Smith and guys they’ve got to deal with next year so it’s going to be a challenge for them (fitting him into their salary cap).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:I honestly think this has legs.
Of course you do ;)
Cameron wrote:Munster is second only to Ponga as the best young player in Rugby League.
Huh? Ponga has shown how good he is, but Munster has clearly shown more.
Cameron wrote:Munster would be signed by now if he was staying. The longer he stays unsigned, the more likely he is to go.
He would be signed by now if he was staying huh? 15 months out from contract expiry? Before he has even been afforded a legal approach from outside the club? Moronic statement.
Cameron wrote:If he leaves the Storm are cactus as he is the future we were going to build on.
::) Hyperbole.
Cameron wrote:What the Roosters can offer is media and third parties and the type of limelight he probably wants.
Melbourne has more third party deals than the Roosters, so not sure what you are basing that on. Let me guess? An @sspluck?
storminghome
Squall
Squall

I agree if he leaves we will be stuffed big time
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I say give him whatever he wants. He’s a must keep for us. With Hughes now playing in the halves it opens up the fullback spot again for him when Billy leaves. Plus didn’t he just buy a house, I think that’s a pretty good indication he’s planning on hanging around for awhile
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Munster has bought a house in Yarraville.

Best case scenario is that Munster will use other offers to bump up his price.

Could get to $1.2M or even $1.4 pa.

But if The Cowboys don’t get Valentine Holmes then they will have plenty $$$$ to come after Munster and no Thurston so the pull of being back close to Rockhampton and his childhood mates might be too strong.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Rockhampton isn’t really that close to Townsville
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Munster has purchased a house in Kew. He told me himself last week at the Camp Quality BBQ
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Doesn't mean he can't leave if a better offer arises.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is all pure speculation and the Roosters weren't at all mentioned in the original interview on triple m last night.

Yawn.