Munster being chased by Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:A few points for all of you who are trying to bully me.

1) Cameron hasn't signed and he will be the No 1 player chased by everyone when he comes out of contract. They will throw the kitchen sink at him.
2) I spoke to Cameron at Christian Welch's BBQ but as if he was going to tell me about his future when it was a positive night to support a charity and get to know the players. I did get the feeling in a few comments that he wouldn't mind a larger limelight than he currently has.
3) as if the Roosters would worry about not talking to Cameron before November. When did the Roosters ever play by the rules?
4) its not just Rothfield who is saying it; everyone is saying it!!!
5) Cameron is young and can change his mind
6) where there is smoke there is fire
7) I hope Munster stays more than anyone as we share the same name. For those who care what Kenty thinks. Kenty thinks Munster will stay.

I spoke to Cameron at christians bbq and he told me he loves the storm has so much more he wants to do at the club and doesn’t want to leave has brought more then one property for family to visit down here and himself...he also said he knows other clubs are chasing him but was letting his manager do all the work and he hadn’t see any offers and didn’t want to see anything till after the new year after going on holiday after the finals and for the record he said he was looking forward to having a break and hoped he didn’t get the call to play for Australia (I found that way more crazy then the talk of moving clubs) (not surprised by the new article saying he has put talks on hold at all)
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don’t think he’ll get what he wants there then. He’ll be in the Australian team, no doubt about it
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The diatribe fits both the example of his going or staying. With the Titans and Cowboys and roosters after him, Cameron Munster will be the highest paid player in the NRL when he signs
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Titans have already admitted they probably don't have the required cap space to fit Munster.
Interest doesn't necessarily equate to action.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I find it interesting that the Titans have admitted they probably do not have the space in their cap for Munster, but the Rooster do not have this problem.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roosters are a lot smarter with their cap room for one.
Daeman
Squall
Squall

glennb wrote:I find it interesting that the Titans have admitted they probably do not have the space in their cap for Munster, but the Rooster do not have this problem.
Yeah, bit of a head scratcher isn't it. It seems they're working on the theory that Cronk retiring frees up a million per season. Though how they actually afforded him initially is still a mystery, especially given they were planning on retaining Pearce
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It really is simple, if Munster wants to head to the bright lights of Sydney and play for a team (Roosters) that are relatively the same standard as us, and get a higher profile and perhaps a backended deal so he is a Foxtel celebrity when he finishes then Nick Politis can make it happen. In my opinion , the Roosters have a very dodgy salary cap (plus third party deals) where as every other Club is flying very close or over the mark. I'm not the only one with that opinion. The NRL a long time ago should have made public players salaries. They do that in the States. The NFL, MLB and NBA. Why can't we do it here. That way, everything is out in the open.

If Cameron Munster wants to be closer to home (even though it is still a long way away), he goes to North Queensland. If he wants to stay the Storm will give him every opportunity to make that decision.

Gold Coast is not an option.

But to me, any hold up is not good. I talked to him too on the night of Christian Welsch's BBQ and there is no way on that night, he would have said anything to dish Storm or tell any of us supporters what he was really thinking. That was just a night to do the right thing by one of his mates.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes the Rooster are a lot smarter with there cap, just like the Broncos. It Lockyer last few years apparently he was only on the books for $150,00 a year the rest was third party payments so they say. Those third party probably came from the famous Thoroughbred Club. But that is okay, IO am sure that is all within the rules.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is why we lost our premierships and other teams kept theirs. our third party payments were deemed part of the salary cap, where as for other teams they weren't. You can argue a million ways that we did or didn't inform the NRL of our third party situations but it was a lot merkier then. Cameron Smith had an arrangement and was being paid by Foxtel at the time and it was deemed to be part of our salary cap for the NRL auditors when they came looking for ways to bring us down. You can't tell me the premiership winning Broncos teams didn't have third party deals as long as their arms that were not deemed part of the salary cap. As with the current roosters team, so the NRL is one rule for one and one rule for another.
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Publicly declaring salaries won't fix the problem. "Brown paper bag" payments will still happen, as will undeclared third party deals.

That said, at the end of the day, it's not all about money and celebrity status... If it was, we would never have retained Smith, Slater, Cronk and Bellamy. Some guys are just grateful and loyal to the club that gives them their break and looks after them while they're coming up.

As for potential media jobs, remaining in Melbourne doesn't seem to be hampering Billy getting media time.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:The NRL a long time ago should have made public players salaries. They do that in the States. The NFL, MLB and NBA. Why can't we do it here. That way, everything is out in the open.
Unfortunately the RLPA is strongly against disclosing player income. It's fine for them to compare to the other bigger leagues when they're asking for pay increases and benefits to players but when it comes to issues like disclosing income they don't want a bar of it.
Daeman
Squall
Squall

An alternative to declaring salaries that I've heard suggested a few times now is to assign players a points value based upon performance and stats ( I guess you could kind of liken it to a golfing handicap).
A clubs roster would have to fit under a certain points total to be compliant, and those points would need to be awarded via an independent and highly transparent process. It allows clubs to pay players what they want and stops things like back ended contracts and unscrupulous 3rd party deals being used to top up a low official salary.
Of course there would also need to be some form of dispensation for club raised Juniors and long serving players, otherwise we could see an even bigger player merry-go-round than we do now.
Whilst I'm sure there are holes in that proposal, I'm not sure it would be any worse than the current arrangement.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with you Daeman. I like the points system as it actually works perfectly. the basketball have a similar system with overseas players and yes, there should be a big dispensation if you take a player through your club from juniors and that will help nature and support the struggling clubs who can then hold on to their talent. It stops clubs getting into trouble and passing the trouble onto a new administration and it stops big clubs like the roosters just buying everyone in sight at their whim.
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Thanks Cameron. It's not a perfect solution by any means, it'll still see clubs forced to shed tallent they've spent time and money developing. But it would definitely slow down clubs attempting to buy their way to a title.

On another more Munster specific note, we'll make him a competitive offer, and if he's buying into what we're all about as a club, he'll end up staying. If he's all about the money, we may be better off losing him. Look at the form of some of the other dollar chasers and you'll get what I'm saying Lol
Here's hoping he's buying in.