Round 20 - Storm vs Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:
Joey Leilua vs Will Chambers
The grubbery from this matchup should be visible from outer space.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They play on different sides of the field unless Leilua has changed after the Croker injury?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I was just thinking that after I posted. If it's BJ vs Scott I hope the young fella manages to keep his cool with the inevitable ribbing that will come his way. I doubt it will be as bad as the Walker incident but BJ can get pretty worked up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Closest season in 20 years

melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 27 Jul 2018

Good lucky picking a winner this year.

As it currently stands just four points separate first and eighth on the NRL ladder - you have to go back to 1999 for the last time it was that close after 18 games.

With such a tight competition there is little margin for error.

"It has been that sort of competition, it has ebbed and flowed, teams have ebbed and flowed and I don't think there has been any standout teams," Storm coach Craig Bellamy said.

"It has been a topsy turvy season for everyone and there will be a few more twists and turns before the season finishes."

Storm sit at the top but remain locked on points with the Dragons and Rabbitohs.

After an indifferent start to the season that resulted in a modest 6-5 record after 11 rounds, Melbourne have steadied the ship with seven consecutive wins around the State of Origin period.

It is a strong position to be in yet the coach is not getting ahead of himself.

"I am probably as surprised as anyone whether we deserve to be up there," Bellamy said.

"We are very happy with where we are at the moment. We did a very good job during Origin, while we didn't execute that great with certain parts of the game, our effort was always right up there - that is the main reason why we are, where we are at the moment."

Storm take on the Canberra Raiders on Saturday night at AAMI Park.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

One
Week
At
A
Time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy all but confirmed at his presser that Hughes is the halfback for the rest of the season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hoffman drops out with neck soreness. Updated squad;

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
14. Kenny Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

15. Tim Glasby
16. Christian Welch
17. Joe Stimson
19. Brodie Croft

20. Cheyse Blair
21. Albert Vete
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You would think prior to kick-off Joe actually swaps with Kenny.

Also probably Vete snags the last bench spot and we wouldn’t carry a halfback or centre on the bench?
Monsoon
Monsoon

Neck soreness huh? Interesting. Not implying I know anything but maybe the axe has finally been swung? No room for sentiment when it comes to winning at the business end of the season, he was diabolical last week.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah Vete will come in on the bench surely. I think everyone here agrees his first game for us was impressive. I loved his fearless charges, something we haven’t had for a while. The only other option I see but highly doubt would happen is Blair on the bench to play a back row role, he’s certainly big enough and he’s defence is good enough.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RobbieRoss wrote:Thanks Sallymay. Very sorry to read about the accident to Brandon's brother .

I had separately sent a private email to Frank Ponissi this evening asking if he could please ensure he addressed Brandon in the injury report this week. To his credit he has replied, and so we can expect some information. Hopefully he confirms Brandon's mum's understanding that Brandon will be back next week.

For those following the 20s, I have also asked him to report on Kayleb Milne, Junior Ratuva and Kelma Tuilagi, all of who are not playing this week.
True to his word, Frank's injury report tonight covers the under 20 lads.

Interestingly , no reference to Hoffy's neck.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Deadpool wrote:Yeah Vete will come in on the bench surely. I think everyone here agrees his first game for us was impressive. I loved his fearless charges, something we haven’t had for a while. The only other option I see but highly doubt would happen is Blair on the bench to play a back row role, he’s certainly big enough and he’s defence is good enough.
Agree Vete. We need some grunt off the bench
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:You would think prior to kick-off Joe actually swaps with Kenny.

Also probably Vete snags the last bench spot and we wouldn’t carry a halfback or centre on the bench?
Big opportunity for Joe , I reckon. Whether Hoffy is injured or being rested, Joe has a chance to "do a Jahrome " , play a strong 80 and demand selection going forward.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ryan Hoffman out
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cameron wrote:Ryan Hoffman out
Thanks scoop, already been mentioned.