Round 19 - Warriors vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

First the "high shot". I didn't notice it during the game. The replay does look like Smith got him high but Jesus, how many of these soft shots are skimmed over per game?

Secondly, the "story" intentionally avoids discussing the fact that Maumalo played the ball in front of him despite not being held. It almost attempts to make up it's own version of events where Smith pushed Maumalo over during a play the ball. Unfortunately for the absolute nuffie that wrote this trash, no play the ball occurred because Maumalo wasn't held! Smith was well within his rights to tackle him. Matter of fact, Smith was well within his rights to pick the ball up and runaway with it like he did and it should never hav been called back. If anything, the Storm were disadvantaged by that call.

The game is just an embarrassment these days. Every single game - read the comments on NRL social media - fans will be complaining about refereeing. Coaches do it. Journalists do it. Don't get me wrong, the refs make mistakes (see Raiders game) - but it is not every game and it is not to the extent that coaches, media and particularly idiotic fans make out.

Poor form by the Warriors social media team and then the club more broadly for defending the tweet. Amatuer sh*t.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't mind a bit of banter on social media.

The tackle was definitely high depending on what angle you saw it from. Got away with one for sure. Muamalo being a mong at the time should not go unnoticed from the NZ media.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I don't mind a bit of banter on social media.
To each their own but I don't see the example above as "banter". There was no good-humour in that, just a petty whinge.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mean it's good humour to every other fan base.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lol at that article. Particularly the ref found an invisible knock on line. Was the guy who wrote this blind? As far as the tackle, it could have been penalised but it would have been a very soft penalty to give away. Seen much worse then that not penalised. The Warriors have nothing to complain about, especially after what they got away with in the lead up to their try, strip called a knock on, gifted a couple penalties and a couple missed forward passes.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think it is border line.

Especially up in NSW where Cam Smith has been abused many times inc the 60 minutes Alex McKinnon show.

The problem is one person pushes it to the limit and then the next lot push it over the limit.

That is why you need to cut it in the bud.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Muamalo being a mong at the time should not go unnoticed from the NZ media.
Of course it will go unnoticed. Those Kiwi commentators are insufferable when it comes to the Warriors not getting their way.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Warriors sledge Cam Smith before coach Stephen Kearney fumes at officiating

NZ Herald
Some Bro

THE New Zealand Warriors’ mid-game sledge of Cameron Smith did nothing to change the result but provided ammunition for a fed-up coach.

THE Warriors have used social media to take aim at Cameron Smith and NRL officials after a controversial decision in Sunday afternoon’s 12-6 loss to the Melbourne Storm.

On their verified Twitter account, the Warriors poked fun at the Storm skipper and officials after Smith seemingly got away with a high tackle on winger Ken Maumalo.

Posting online during the game, the Warriors tweeted: “High tackle”, swiftly followed by a second tweet saying: “Oh wait, it’s Cam Smith”.

The tweets are the latest in a number of digs at former Queensland hooker Cameron Smith, who has long been accused of attempting to influence referees and the speed of the ruck during games.

The Warriors received backlash following their tweets, with some labelling the club’s actions as “unprofessional”.

A Warriors spokesperson said the club didn’t have any comment regarding the post, but did say on Twitter it’s just “good chat”.
Pfffft. The Warriors bosses would give their left nut for Cameron Smith instead they are stuck with Isaac "The Cousin Crippler" Luke.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Even Micheal Ennis was sooking it up about our tackling again tonight. Almost accusing us of cheating again.

FFS the whole media hate us and resent us winning.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stats That Matter - Round 19

melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 23 Jul 2018

Felise Kaufusi meant business in his first Storm game for over a month. Kaufusi led Melbourne with 45 tackles, in what was a personal season-high. He also had 122 running metres for good measure. The experience he gained at Origin level for Queensland would have helped the 26-year-old take his game to the next level and Melbourne are set to reap the benefits heading into the back end of the season.

The purple wall is full steam ahead. Just once during Melbourne's seven game winning run have they conceded more than 16 points - allowing an average of less than 13 over that stretch. In a sign of this side's incredible consistency Storm have conceded one more point than they did at this stage of last season. That has resulted in the best points differential in the NRL.

The halfback auditions continued on Sunday and Jahrome Hughes certainly staked his claim for the permanent role. The 23-year-old produced the line break assist that sent Will Chambers 50 metres downfield to score the first try of the game and then measured the high ball for Suliasi Vunivalu to cross the line in the shadows of half-time. Craig Bellamy is a big fan of the 'footy smarts' Hughes' possesses and has helped him make every post a winner since first coming into the side back in Round 12.

Five tries in six weeks for Suliasi Vunivalu. It is no coincidence that as soon as the Fijian Flyer has begun to hit his straps the side has gone on an incredible run. After crossing the line just five times in the opening 12 games, Vunivalu now has 10 in 17 to close the gap on the competition's leading try scorers.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with the last point; Suli is incredibly important to us and the way we play.

You can all talk about his dropped ball from Jerohme Hughes but his catch and try from Jerohme Hughes kick was exceptional.
Suli is a scoring opportunity from every play. And as the stat says; we are hard to beat if we score 16 points. That is 3 tries or so. Even more difficult to beat if we are playing from infront on the scoreboard.
What happens is if our wingers score and we get infront; we are very very difficult to beat.

That is the Storm way.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder what the difference has been in the last 5 games for Suli....
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Belief that he is the Man. He has been the impact player and has stepped up while Addo Carr has been on Origin duties.

Plus I reckon he has been given better ball

I wish they would do more attacking kicks towards him though.

As we say on the weekend; this is his almost No 1 best feature when he files though the air with the greatest of ease.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He still hasn't been great in the last 5 games... just less bad than the opening half to the year.

I do agree that we desparately need to go to him more with attacking kicks. That has been clear from the early rounds. Our last play options have been so-so most of the year. That is by far the biggest gap that Cronk has left.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Agree yourhero.

When we go to the left, Cameron Munster on the last tackle only has one trick - a dribble kick into the ingoal or it hits one of the3 opposition and they take it away. this is part of Munsters game that he must improve. Kicking to try and set up a winger to score tries.

On the other side the half back often doesn't seem to know what to do on the last; Brodie Croft kicked to Suli's advantage once in the WCC. Ryley Jacks did it a couple of times and Jerohme Hughes did it for the first time v Warriors.

We miss Cooper Cronk's kicking to advantage especially on Suli's side more than anything else.