Round 19 - Warriors vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

the Warriors had their chances but failed to fire with ball in hand. Simple as that.
They really missed Blake Green straightening the attack and pushed too many 50/50 offloads.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah we were "lucky" to catch them without Green, and Luke's early injury also helped us.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jahrome

His passing game for the most part was good. That deft pass for the Chambers try was beautiful.

He did seem somewhat reluctant to kick. Gave it off to Chambers on one o occasion on the last tackle. Only kicked three times (Munster x6, Smith x 10). He did have one beauty though for Suli’s try... albeit Suli can claim most of the credit for that effort.

Hughes’ tackle attempt on Maumalo was embarrassing though and deserves a spray from Craig.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hughes needs to kick the ball more if he plays half back
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly this team is so crazy ...play crap and win play good and win......now they are all back together they can train together
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes we might actually get some traction together.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The scary thing is, we’re in first place but I don’t think we’ve played anywhere near our best footy yet this season. Hopefully we can hit our gears at just the right time coming into the finals
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

RobbieRoss wrote:Very happy to win again. Warriors were terrific away last week, so pleasing to beat them at home.

I liked the game of Hughes. Looks our best threat at 7.

I hope Brandon is back next week. With Dale back, I reckon one of Kenny, Hoffy and Joe miss out. Kenny did his chances no harm today, but Hoffy perhaps needs a rest.
Yeah Kenny is slowly building upon his game from last week.
But I share your sentiments, if we are to be critical as armchair-selectors, we could certainly have players in the wider group that would bend the line a lot more, show a significant dominance in defence and just offer more.
With our Armchair Selectors Licence we are seeing far too many errors and inconsistency from poor old Hoffman. But we all know he won't be dropped.
Chambers needed to have a big game to help the Storm win today and he came out on top and stayed away from the sidelines, he did a good job today.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:... Hughes’ tackle attempt on Maumalo was embarrassing though and deserves a spray from Craig.
Not trying to make any excuses for him, but my take on it seemed like he wanted to attack the ball and go for a strip.
Was definitely bizzare to see the replay, he went for more the text book shoe-lace tackles after that lol.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Gaiscioch wrote:
yourhero wrote:... Hughes’ tackle attempt on Maumalo was embarrassing though and deserves a spray from Craig.
Not trying to make any excuses for him, but my take on it seemed like he wanted to attack the ball and go for a strip.
Was definitely bizzare to see the replay, he went for more the text book shoe-lace tackles after that lol.

Agree it was an anomaly. Aside from that, one dodgy kick and passing right to Suli instead of left to Billy, he was impressive.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Deadpool wrote:See this is the type of thing that should be covered in the injury report, why are we having to find out like this?
Spot on. Plenty of positive comments from Frank in the "injury report " this week about how well Marion Seve is going , and how Sandor was looking great, but we had to rely on the always on-the-ball Sallymay to tell us he had a corkie, and not a peep from Frank about Brandon's injury. Very frustrating. I know we are unimportant, but either have a proper report or don't bother.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/rugby- ... -round-19/

Craig Bellamy’s side is in no mood to rest on its laurels, despite a seven-match winning streak through a State of Origin period that is traditionally difficult for the club.

Speaking after a hard-fought win at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Sunday, Storm captain Cameron Smith said his team had many areas in which to improve.

And the first thing it would look at? Winning easier.

“We haven’t really blown any teams off the park consistently,” Smith said in an ominous warning.

“That’s really where we need to sit down and get serious about our performances … and try to make it easier on ourselves for the remainder of the season.”
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote:
Gaiscioch wrote:

Agree it was an anomaly. Aside from that, one dodgy kick and passing right to Suli instead of left to Billy, he was impressive.
Could be argued he went the wrong way, and Slater blowing up certainly made it evident how he felt, but basically he had 2 quality options to choose from, and if Suli holds the ball, he scores and no-one blames Hughes at all.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater was the clearly better option in that situation but Hughes never looked inside. I was screaming for him to look left! Even if Suli scores there, Slater was still the much better option.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Warriors sledge Cam Smith before coach Stephen Kearney fumes at officiating

NZ Herald
Some Bro

THE New Zealand Warriors’ mid-game sledge of Cameron Smith did nothing to change the result but provided ammunition for a fed-up coach.

THE Warriors have used social media to take aim at Cameron Smith and NRL officials after a controversial decision in Sunday afternoon’s 12-6 loss to the Melbourne Storm.

On their verified Twitter account, the Warriors poked fun at the Storm skipper and officials after Smith seemingly got away with a high tackle on winger Ken Maumalo.

Posting online during the game, the Warriors tweeted: “High tackle”, swiftly followed by a second tweet saying: “Oh wait, it’s Cam Smith”.

The tweets are the latest in a number of digs at former Queensland hooker Cameron Smith, who has long been accused of attempting to influence referees and the speed of the ruck during games.

The Warriors received backlash following their tweets, with some labelling the club’s actions as “unprofessional”.

A Warriors spokesperson said the club didn’t have any comment regarding the post, but did say on Twitter it’s just “good chat”.

Following the 12-6 loss, Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said he believes there is a serious issue with officiating in the NRL — and a solution needs to be urgently found.

While insisting he was not blaming the referees for the loss — repeatedly stressing that Melbourne were the better team, and his side wasn’t good enough — Kearney was left stunned by some strange decisions on Sunday.

Several big calls went against the home side, with a few quite inexplicable and clearly wrong.

“I think there is a problem (with the refereeing),” said Kearney. “Unfortunately they have been poorly led. They get a directive (from the NRL) at the start of the year to blow the pea out of the whistle and 13 rounds in that changes again.”

“It’s just about that consistency and I feel for them at the moment. There is enough smart people in our game to get it sorted, and we need to make sure we do something about it. It’s a bit of a blight on our game at the minute.”

The most obvious example occurred midway through the second half on Sunday, when Warriors winger Ken Maumalo smashed through three tackles in a 40m burst towards halfway, before being stopped by Smith. Smith’s tackle looked high, but as Maumalo went to play the ball the referees found an invisible knock on.

“Ken’s one was a pretty obvious one,” said Kearney. “They are moments for them, and as (Canberra coach) Ricky (Stuart) alluded to the other day, they are game changers. They turn the momentum of the game.”

----------

::) ::) ::)