Smith/Slater/Cronk Story

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

So this was posted by Danny Weidler today ...

It was a public blow-up between husband and wife that happened in front of teammates, the media and those baking in the hot Fiji sun at the Kangaroos’ swanky resort last year during the World Cup.

Barb Smith ripped into Cameron. I was within earshot and my cameraman and I were gobsmacked by the ferocity of it. It may have been a couple having a moment but, by this point, the couple were already having issues with teammates and their wives.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga had been seeking a family-friendly trip to Fiji, but it was made difficult when ‘‘family feud’’ was being played out in front of his players.

The Smiths’ problems with the Slaters began when Barb and Nicole Slater, the wife of Billy, fell out. Cameron’s relationship with Cooper Cronk was already cooling by this point. More on that later.

Barb Smith speaks her mind and has been known to contact Storm officials to make sure that the wives and girlfriends of players are being treated well. There are even suggestions she would meet with Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy. Barb was already dealing with stories being circulated about her husband during the World Cup. The majority of them were wrong.

But Cameron has been under pressure for years. It culminated in his snap decision to quit Origin three weeks before the series was about to start. That caught Queensland on the hop.

The eroding of Cameron’s status in the game has been a slow process. It began on the field when he argued with referees while Alex McKinnon lay severely injured with what turned out to be fractured vertebrae in his neck. Smith totally misread the situation. It says something about Smith that it was McKinnon who eventually called him to clear the air about the bad blood between them.

The fact that Smith is offside with two of his best mates, Cronk and Slater, is the public manifestation of issues that have been masked by his status as one of the best players of his generation.

It is clear what caused the relationship breakdowns. With Slater, it started with a falling-out between their wives. Slater tried to put that to one side when he heard Smith was going through a rough patch away from football. Slater was shut out to the point where the pair have a professional relationship, but no longer a personal one.

The falling-out between Smith and Cronk is largely professional, which has been made personal by Smith’s failure to attend Cronk’s wedding. A lack of communication was critical in that situation. Cronk’s crime in Smith’s eyes was that he went to a rival club, Sydney Roosters. After 15 seasons of spilling blood for Melbourne, Cronk should be allowed to play wherever he likes. But Smith took it personally – to such an extent that he made a play on behalf of the Storm for Mitchell Pearce, the man Cronk was to play alongside.

It’s something he was entitled to do, but also an extraordinary move.

Smith’s strained relationships don’t stop with Slater and Cronk; they extend to other powerful figures at the Storm.

I tried to contact Smith for comment to talk about Slater and Cronk, but he did not respond.

Now I know this piece was written by the scum of all “journalists” who makes dozens of unsubstantiated claims throughout this dribble and then contradicts them all by stating he contacted Smith for comment and was ignored, but somehow he has enough insight to read Smiths mind and know key thoughts of his that have never been made public. I don’t know why this got to me so much but this is one of the most inflammatory articles I can recall being written about our club. After a great win it’s another case of Sydney Media trying to derail our season and it’s pathetic, there are also quotes under a picture of Slater calling him a game-changer, so much that the NRL has to change the rules of the code to suit him ... I mean this is just ridiculous from Weidler and to be honest I’ve never been so angry at an anti-storm article in all my years supporting this fine club, has he overstepped the mark here? I feel like these days newspapers have turned into new idea or tabloids where lies can be spread as fact with no repurcussions, this is a damning article and I imagine not too many people in the Storm organisation will be pleased to read it, what’s your thoughts on it guys, am I over reacting?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What a piece of sh!t Danny Weidler is. I hope Cam and the club have a go at him for this. Disgraceful reporting
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't think it's about trying to derail our season.

It's three of the most high profile players in the game having a falling out. Been smoke around it all year, it's a big story. Who knows how much is true but journos like Weedler are going to make claims about it to stir the pot anyway they can to get clicks.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He does not once make a claim to proof for his story, he does not quote anyone in his story. All he has done AGAIN is put his mate Alex McKinnon and Smith but in a newspaper story.

He has a very strong friendship with McKinnon, and likes to get him into the spot light when ever he can.

Slater and Smith are being honored together on Wednesday night. Must really hate each other to do that
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Heard Cam drove around to see Billy when he was ruled out of Origin I, yep sounds like no personal relationship to me... What crap!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Problem is that the NSW media will all now believe this.

And they have spent lots of time trying to being Cam Smith and the Melbourne Storm down.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Those allegations about Cameron's failure to contact McKinnon are false and taint the rest of the article. Nasty insinuations about Cameron's character - actionable in defamation ( not that Smith would go there ) ?

Leading an article with a shouting match between wife and husband- I have no idea what point the author is seeking to make there. Goodness me, there is not one marriage ever that has not had its moments.

Extraordinarily pathetic, mischievous, erroneous "reporting " .
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The NSW media is full of hate and rage towards Cameron Smith

They have an agenda...
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Also the bit about the contacting Pearce because he was salty about Cronk joining the chooks is just plain stupid. We lost our halfback and at the same time one of the best halfs in the NRL is pushed out of their club because of it, Of course Smith would of contacted him, and he wasn’t the only one to do it, Paul Gallen contacted him, Manly players contacted him, Newcastle players contacted him, I’m sure plenty of others would of contacted him as well. To suggest he’s mad at Cronk because he wants a quality replacement is absolutely ridiculous and poor reporting.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A couple of things also irritated me. He claimed that he was with a cameraman when the alleged incident in Fiji happened. He's a nrl gossip columnist and there's no talk of turning the camera on! That would be Current Affair Gold. It's all anecdotal. The other thing is propagating the Sydney based myth that while Mckinnon was down "severely injured", Goat was arguing with the refs. Smith knew he was severely injured?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

You can't argue with the media because they will always spin the story and add salt and pepper to the parts that they want.

It is the most disgusting thing I have seen in print.

Esp the attempt to discredit Barb and attempt to say they have marital problems.

That is below the belt.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Parts of it are true but that doesn't need to come out
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Now the daily telegraph has jumped on board with the story. Again no proof or quotes just saying what SMH said but using different words. This story state that wives (Nicole/Barb) fell out early in the 2017 season well before the World cup camp in Fiji. I have seen photo of Nicole and Barb smiling with other each other on the red carpet at last years Dally M awards. Why would they do that if there was problem. Women do not go near each other if they have a problem.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is in the Herald Sun too and was on Controversial corner on Foxtel...

it is all being reported and talked about like it is fact...

and Phil Rothfield said the smith/Cronk/Slater controversy article was the most read article of the year..

so that justifies the media making up more and more shit.

it is disgusted...
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote:Parts of it are true but that doesn't need to come out
I'm keen to dismiss it all as tabloid nonsense but I'm afraid the old adage "where there is smoke there is fire" will no doubt ring true once again.