Hughes or Jacks or Croft at half back

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:Hughes at 1, Croft at 7, Munny at 6 and Drinkwater will eventually partner Scott in the centres post Will

I really like that idea of Scott Drinkwater in the centres. Fabulous year at QRL level, excellent debut which I think was not a flash-in-the-pan. Work on him in the Centres over summer, and blood him next season when Will plays SOO or otherwise is unavailable.

Of course the hardest bit will be keeping all these likely lads, plus Brandon at 9, Harry Grant at 14, then can we hang onto Ryan Papenhuyzen as a reserve back ?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... d3f5973ed4

Melbourne Storm ace Brodie Croft tighten grips on halfback jersey ahead of preliminary final

Gilbert Gardiner
Herald Sun
9 Sep 2018

BRODIE Croft has tightened his grip on the coveted Melbourne Storm halfback jersey after a promising finals debut against South Sydney.

The young gun showed the calmness and poise demanded of post-season action, helping the Storm secure a thrilling one-point win over the ­Bunnies on Friday night.

Storm premiership winner Curtis Scott, who lives in a share house with Croft, Brandon Smith and Scott Drinkwater, has witnessed first-hand what Croft has been through this season, having been ­anointed a “Cooper Cronk clone” only to be axed after the first five rounds.

“There’s no question it’s been tough on him,” Scott said.

“Everyone was referring to him as the Cooper Cronk clone; it’s pretty daunting for the kid.

“He handled it well going back (to reserve grade). He wasn’t kicking stones, he just kept knocking on the door and talking to Bellsa (coach Craig Bellamy) on what he needed to do to get back in.”

Croft was rewarded in the back half of the season, playing back-to-back games in Rounds 17-18 and Rounds 23-24.

He probably would have played the last home-and-away game, too, had it not been for an innocuous knee injury suffered during a social game of lawn bowls.

“I honestly couldn’t believe it. Lawn bowls, you’ve got to be kidding me,” Scott said.

“I was like, ‘mate, my old man plays lawn bowls … he’s almost 50 and he never comes home with an injury.”

Croft brushed off the bowls injury to play an key role in the win over the Bunnies.

After being involved in Melbourne’s first try — scored by Scott — Croft burst into space on the stroke of halftime and put a sweetly-timed kick into space for Suliasi Vunivalu to score his second try in nine minutes.

Croft finished with 77 run metres, two assists, two tackle busts and two line breaks to put a gap on halfback hopefuls Jahrome Hughes and Ryley Jacks.

“He might just have been trying to overplay his hand a little bit during the start of the season,” Scott said of Croft’s form reversal.

“He was probably a bit frantic out on the field … he’s a bit calmer out on the field and not getting rattled as he was at the start of the year.”

Halves partner Cameron Munster also hailed Croft’s commitment.

“He’s got some talent, he just needs to keep working on those little things we talk about each week and he’ll and up being one of the greats of the game,” Munster said.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I heard on the Fifth and Last podcast last week that Jacks was rumoured to be signed by Gold Coast.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:I heard on the Fifth and Last podcast last week that Jacks was rumoured to be signed by Gold Coast.
Mixed emotions on this one, the bloke works hard and is a solid player for us. However, he's been pushed down to 3rd string halfback after performances from Croft and Hughes. I also think that the age and performance of Drinkwater may see him snapping at the heels of Jacks. FG experience is the only thing holding Jacks in 3rd possie.

Its in neither parties interest to retain him but i dont think GC is right for him.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:
Danger D wrote:I heard on the Fifth and Last podcast last week that Jacks was rumoured to be signed by Gold Coast.
Mixed emotions on this one, the bloke works hard and is a solid player for us. However, he's been pushed down to 3rd string halfback after performances from Croft and Hughes. I also think that the age and performance of Drinkwater may see him snapping at the heels of Jacks. FG experience is the only thing holding Jacks in 3rd possie.

Its in neither parties interest to retain him but i dont think GC is right for him.
I think he'll slot in pretty well next to Ash Taylor to be honest - he's the reliable, running 6 that can compliment a ball playing half like Taylor.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

GC also got Tyrone Peachey (unless he backflips), Tyrone Roberts, Michael Gordon, Nathan Peats and AJ Brimson to slot into 3 spots in the spine. I think that makes Jacks around the same position he's in with the Storm now. Jacks may have been better off at a club like Manly or the Dogs who don't have much depth in their halves - although salary cap space is an issue for both those clubs.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good point on Peachey, but will they be trying to play him at 6?? I would think Lock or Centre. Sounds more and more likely he won't go up either, which I think is rubbish by him and unfair on the Titans who have made list decisions based on his signing
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:Good point on Peachey, but will they be trying to play him at 6?? I would think Lock or Centre. Sounds more and more likely he won't go up either, which I think is rubbish by him and unfair on the Titans who have made list decisions based on his signing
I hope the Titans hold firm and don't authorise a release. Make him play on the GC or sit out.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

^^+1
If he flips then it makes the whole signing/contract situation an absolute joke
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

GC in particular have been screwed over far too often in relation to players backflipping.