Hughes or Jacks or Croft at half back

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 031459b1b8

Melbourne Storm staring 30 year hoodoo in the face as they aim to settle on a halfback for the finals

September 4, 2018
Source: AAP

MELBOURNE must become the first team to win a premiership without a settled halfback in three decades if they are to defend their NRL title this year.

The Storm’s halfback merry-go-round searching for Cooper Cronk’s replacement will continue into the finals, with Brodie Croft expected to return from a knee injury to face South Sydney in Friday’s qualifying final.

Scott Drinkwater was named at halfback for the first time last week but mostly played fullback, after Croft and Ryley Jacks had each played nine games at No.7 this year and Jahrome Hughes five.

With the latter three now fit, coach Craig Bellamy has regularly indicated he’ll select his halfback - usually considered the most important position on the final - on a horses-for-courses basis dependent on their opposition.

Regardless, it means the Storm will go through the season without one person playing half in more than 15 games, a disadvantage not overcome by any premiers since Steve Mortimer’s injury-riddled final year at Canterbury in 1988.

“It’s been difficult with the lack of stability in the halves ... it’s never really happened in my time at Melbourne,” captain Cameron Smith said.

“Obviously Cameron Munster has been in the No.6 jersey for the most part of the year barring Origin.

“It’s been a little bit different with coming up with game plans and trying to change tactics subtly every week with a different make up.”

Smith’s experience combined with Billy Slater’s ball-playing ability at the back has at least made life easier for Melbourne after Croft began the year in No.7 but was later dropped for Jacks and then Hughes.

Brisbane’s premiership-winning side of 2006 are the most recent team to win the grand final after dropping a halfback mid-season, before Shane Perry eventually partnered Darren Lockyer in the halves.

Andrew Johns only played nine games for Newcastle in 1997 due to a pre-season injury, with Leo Dynevor filling the role in 17 matches.

Greg Alexander only played 15 games at No.7 for Penrith in 1991, while Mortimer came off the bench for Canterbury in the 1988 decider against Balmain due to a wrist injury, having previously played 14 games at halfback that year.

“That’s why I’m so proud of our group to have the season we’ve had,” Smith said.

“To finish second and nearly get the minor premiership with the amount of injuries and having three different players playing the No.7 jersey through the season is a pretty special effort.

“It would be nice to try and lock one away for this finals series but if it doesn’t happen we’ll do our best like we’ve done every other game this season.”
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I vote for Croft. Again.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote:I vote for Croft. Again.
Seconded. Again.

Craig did say in the post-match presser though that he thought Jahrome was one of our best in the Panthers game... The saga continues.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I vote for Croft too. Personally I didn't think Hughes or Jacks did much v Panthers. A golden opportunity for either of them to stamp their name on number 7, particularly with an extra man for 20 minutes and I don't think either put their hand up.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Jacks for this game. Croft will get ripped to shreds by Inglis
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He could really come out and make me look like a real dick but I'm not as worried about Inglis as what others might be. How many (if any) games has he actually played well against us let alone dominated since he left? Others memories might be better than mine but I can't remember any. He's older now and getting on the back end of his career and while he's certainly capable of a big game I don't think he's as big a threat as what he may have once been.

Bellamy has always had the right game plan to negate his influence against us and I'm confident that'll continue on Friday night. To be totally honest I'm much more worried about Cook's impact after he tore us a new arse last meeting than I am GI. That said I also think Bellamy will have a plan to negate him much more as well. Whether it works or not is a whole other story
Last edited by Ice on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It will be Jacks for sure best defender out of the group and didn’t over play his hand just dose his job
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It can not be Jacks for this game he was not named in the 21
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Croft after last night. Grew an extra leg. Feel for Hughes missing out though.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I feel for Hughes as he has almost always acquitted himself well when called upon. But between playing at 1,6,7, QLD Cup, off the bench and returning from injury, he has had no chance to settle and gain any consistency.

Really looking forward to his 2019 as i imagine he'll be a regular with no Slater. The question will be how do we fit in Drinkwater too. I like his style!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The thing I love about Croft, and Munster (keeping in mind he started off as a fullback), is they back themselves to run the ball instead of just handing it off to someone else.

Croft already seems to have his running game down pat and judging by what we've seen he seems to judge his runs really well.

The scary thing is - I don't feel his kicking game is even close to its potential. If he gets that sorted out then he could be absolutely devastating.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy wanted to test them all but was proberly always gonna end up using Brodie in the finals
craig said at the start of the year he believed Brodie was the best HB we have but he wouldn't get to play all year in first grade...its played out exactly as he said
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Except, I don't recall Hughes being in the discussion until mid year.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We can't keep them all, who do we work hard to retain and who do we reluctantly allow to look for further opportunities?
Me personally, I like Hughes at 1, Munster and Croft at 6 and 7 but am greedy and don't want to lose Drinkwater and Jacks. I think Munster is also brilliant at fullback, especially with his added ruggedness (as compared to Hughes - with no disrespect) Could I have Munster in the centres and Jacks at 6! (Once Croft has refined his game)
Food for thought, I wonder how the management have it all pegged out.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes at 1, Croft at 7, Munny at 6 and Drinkwater will eventually partner Scott in the centres post Will
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time