Round 18 - Sea Eagles vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Both Smiths, Glasby, and Hughes were phenomenal.
This. Add Jesse’s efforts on return.
Jessys return puts us back in the premiership window :o
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

glennb wrote:Did I hear during the game the commenters say Storm had taken Jacks new contract of the table?
I think he said the Broncos have taken an offer off the table.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Barrett - what a whinger. trying to claim it was all the ref's fault.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:Well dome for Youngie

His last game before he goes away on his mission.

I love you Youngie

Thank you O0
Well, said. Went out with a good performance, and finished with the ball in his hands , albeit that he then punted it into the ocean !

I am very pleased with the effort and of course the result. Missing 7 of our best 17, losing Welch early, down 12-0 and struggling, and yet won.

Jahrome is a gun. Superb game again. No question he plays ahead of Croft and Jacks. Croft showed a lot of composure, which is great to see, but if Billy and Eddie come back then Jahrome goes to 7.

Glasby immense backing up. Jesse very important on return.

Curtis Scott had a lot of personal pressure on him after the events at AAMI, and rose to the challenge.

Brandon Smith should ALWAYS be in our 17.

I am surprised Tui got the nod ahead of Albert, but after giving away a silly penalty with a flop ( I think that was the call) he was strong.

Cheese had a shocker early, but fought back well with good runs and solid defence .

The 2 second rowers I think both played the full 80, and both - Joe in particular- attacked and defended strongly.

Craig rolled the dice in leaving out 5 Origin stars. Now that becomes a very important decision. They are rested and will be better for it. The young fellows got more experience.. and we still won.

However the most important decision was the one Cameron Smith made a couple of months ago, not to play Origin. He remains the outstanding player of the competition. He was missing when they flogged us at AAMI. He was missing when they beat us 40-0 in 2008. He was there tonight, running the ship, and we win.

Folks, with GOAT at dummy half, rested from Origin, we are in this thing right up to our ears.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Cameron wrote:Well dome for Youngie

His last game before he goes away on his mission.

I love you Youngie

Thank you O0
Good on ya Cameron, good shout out for YT.
He always tried his best with a lot of enthusiasm and energy, played tough, I would say he would of been one of the strongest player in the club and he had a hand in some of the great plays that easily make great highlights for the Storm. All the best to him.

Tonight's game was like Manly coming at us 100 miles per hour, the only chance for us was to weather the storm and hope they weren't able to keep up the pace.
We seemed to plod a long at a manageable work rate unlike Manly who's big forwards were really mowing us down, but in that second half those same forwards were contained as they just didn't have the same gusto that they showed in that first half.
So we managed to get enough decisions to favour us at crucial moments in such a tight match. Well done to the boys to hang in there.
Just one of those games that caught our boys off guard in a bad way but a game where we held just enough composure to know how to close the game out where it mattered.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thank you Youngie

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... you-young/

Good luck. Born and Bred here in Melbourne.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I’d be surprised if Young doesn’t return to us after his two years are up. I’d welcome him back with open arms for sure
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/plenty ... 4zriw.html

Daly Cherry-Evans showed what he can do behind a dominant pack in his Origin comeback. Three days later and his engine room was again in control. But he didn’t come up with the result this time.

There was no love for Scott at Lottoland and less still when threw the final pass for Melbourne’s first try. Because it was about a metre forward. It was the lucky break the visitors needed to stay in touch after they were thoroughly outplayed in the first half.

Trent Barrett felt several critical calls – the dubious Scott pass, a strip on Matthew Wright and the penalty that sealed the game – went against his side. He conceded Manly’s slim finals chances were now extinguished.

“I thought we were the better team, to be honest,” Barrett said.

“It was one of those nights where – I’ve got to be very careful what I say – but I will be having a good look and asking a fair few questions about some of the calls that went against us tonight.

“It’s heartbreaking. Given the position we’re in – we needed to win every game to make the semis – it’s extremely difficult for the players.”

No excuses: Suliasi Vunivalu refused to come from the field despite a broken nose.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy conceded his side were “lucky” to get away with the victory and that they got the rub of the green with many of the close calls.

While there was no biff, it was as tough as rugby league gets. Suliasi Vunivalu copped a suspected broken nose in a collision that was put on report. However, the winger refused to come from the field.

No fisticuffs, but this time Melbourne won another spirited fight.

Much has been said and written about the relationship between Smith and long-time teammates Cooper Cronk and Slater. Asked about rumours of a fallout, Smith said: “No, I’ve got no issue with those guys. No issue at all.

“Billy has addressed it last week, I was told. That’s where I’m at with that.”
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

With Barrett coming out saying what he's saying he has to understand that it is easy to say things against Manly too.

How many Head High Tackles were made by Manly players that were not penalised, I felt glad just to get the ones we did, but a lot went with a blind eye from the refs.

The first try by Lane could of been called for loss of control as the ball moves forward along the ground.

The disallowed try Scott got, could of been a penalty to the Storm with a Manly hand playing a part of the ball coming loose or better yet a penalty try.
Even a play Scott was involved in you see he's gang tackled, but before he was, a Manly player only has eyes to strip the ball, he loses his grip and goes in for another go at the ball and in a gang tackle the ball comes loose, to me it was stripped with more than one player involved in the tackle, could and should of been a penalty to the Storm.

And a blatant off the ball palm to the face from Wright to Suliasi's head could of easily produced a penalty.
And that last penalty is just basic footy, Manly had no right to play at the ball being off-side.

Scott's pass to Suliasi was a real optical illusion, could of been called forward but what catches the refs off is that Suliasi is well behind Scott, so Suliasi runs onto the pass and Suliasi's feet are still behind where Scott pass the ball or best yet is now inline with him, just one of those line ball passes that could go either way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So many "what if", "should of" etc, it was all a bit like the boxing match Ali vs Foreman, Foreman looks the better fighter but tires himself out silly and fatigues and losses to Ali.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The first Manly try was a misread from Hoffman. The attack ran across in front of him and he left the yawning gap for Lane to run through.
As "putrid" as the commentary may have been they thought Manlys first try was dropped, bet Barrett has no opinion about that injustice!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gaiscioch wrote:With Barrett coming out saying what he's saying he has to understand that it is easy to say things against Manly too.

How many Head High Tackles were made by Manly players that were not penalised, I felt glad just to get the ones we did, but a lot went with a blind eye from the refs.
Barrett crying in the presser is just typical of the culture of the club tbh. Rotten to the core. Full of whingers.

Fonua-Blake could have been penalised three times on his own for high shots but none were called penalties. No mention of those from Barrett. Or the first Lane try... Selective memory to suit a crybaby agenda.
Gaiscioch wrote:The disallowed try Scott got, could of been a penalty to the Storm with a Manly hand playing a part of the ball coming loose or better yet a penalty try.
Even a play Scott was involved in you see he's gang tackled, but before he was, a Manly player only has eyes to strip the ball, he loses his grip and goes in for another go at the ball and in a gang tackle the ball comes loose, to me it was stripped with more than one player involved in the tackle, could and should of been a penalty to the Storm.
You are allowed to strip the ball when trying to prevent a try.
Gaiscioch wrote:And a blatant off the ball palm to the face from Wright to Suliasi's head could of easily produced a penalty.

Yep. Clearly tried to hit Suli on his already broken nose. Scumbag move.
Gaiscioch wrote:And that last penalty is just basic footy, Manly had no right to play at the ball being off-side.
This is the one I find most funny. Manly fans on social media crying about this call. Clear penalty.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The first Manly try was definitely a knock on. Another incident that went Manlys way was the Curtis Scott pass that got knocked down by Manly was called a knock on against Scott.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:
You are allowed to strip the ball when trying to prevent a try.
Yeah I was sorta thinking when Curtis was crossing the line for a try there were already two in the tackle while it was stripped.
But I guess you are allowed to strip if someone was in in the act of scoring a try. But it's up for interpretation with that particular moment I'm thinking. I'm not always right lol.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Funny with the penalty for deliberate offside - bunker were the only ones who actually got it right.

Refs missed it, commentators missed it, Manly coach and players don't seem to know the rule.
As soon as it was pointed out the refs penalised and the commentators went, "oh yeah, I see what you did there".
Manly still sooking, to the point where Barrett is going to demand an explanation from the NRL.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm’s young replacements stand up to be counted, as the Sea Eagles celebrations turn to commiserations

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4112732d0b

I actually loved the way Curtis Scott kind of stopped Suli from taking the biff in the corner when we were infront too far. That was real experienced play by Curtis given what happened last time.