Round 17 v Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

steaming stormer wrote:The bite was disgraceful, and he was rightly suspended heavily for it (Internationals shouldn't have counted in my opinion), and he was blasted for it heavily throughout the media at the time.

It was 6 years ago though and certainly hasn't been repeated behaviour.
As SS says, it's not repeated behavior so I have a theory that it was accidental and not deliberate. He always struck me as a mouthy (In a Dylan Walker sort of way) player and was more focused on giving Bill a spray more that his teeths' proximity to Billy's ear. He will, however, be always known to me as James "Nibbles" Graham.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote:As SS says, it's not repeated behavior so I have a theory that it was accidental and not deliberate. He always struck me as a mouthy (In a Dylan Walker sort of way) player and was more focused on giving Bill a spray more that his teeths' proximity to Billy's ear. He will, however, be always known to me as James "Nibbles" Graham.
Mate... It is fine to like the bloke and assume it out of character if you really want to believe that. But 'accidental'? No chance! How on earth can you chalk that up to an accident?

It was an idiotic brain snap in the most important game of the year. Most definitely intentional, albeit it likely not planned. The NRL were weak in not sending him off on the spot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How do you "accidentally" bite someone?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

YH, I never actually said I like the bloke at all and I agree that a. it wasn't planned and b. the ref was week with not only the non-send off but how the penalty was applied. It's only my opinion given the state of play at the time, a full on melee and front rowers trying to intimidate. And I think Graham is a half wit as well because only Graham will know for sure. So we can agree to have differing opinions and move on to the next game.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The bite was on the opposite side of the melee and neither the ref or the linesman saw it and no one went to the video in those days.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On wide world of sports, it shows Aitken pushing Blair in the back as he, Hughes and Jacks embrace after the Jacks try. What a sooky little s***!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea, Blair clips him a little bit going past him to celebrate the try.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

1999 wrote: I can’t believe I’m typing this, but can Hughes hold Slater out of the #1 jersey, this kid is incredible ...
Not yet. A lot of the terrible defence that led to Dragons tries was directly due to poor communication at the back. That's a huge bonus that Slater brings, and no-one one our roster - not even GOAT - comes close to organising a defence as well.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good point, TC. In any event, there is room for both of them in the team. However for me, Billy at 1, Jahrome at 7. Plenty of time for Jahrome to wear the 1 once Billy finishes.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy is Billy. There is only one Billy.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought our bench was great. Hoffman can be rocks and diamonds at times but never short of effort and heart.
We're good a chance as any this season and we have pretty good depth in all positions.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:As much as Graham is a player everyone loves to hate... by god he's a good footballer. Tough as nails!
Meh. He is so aggressive with the referees and visibly has a number of sooks per game. The fact that he bit a player and it is glossed over by virtually everyone associated with the game, astonishes me.

His forward pack weren't there and they really needed him to stand up. He delivered 6 Runs for 52 metres.
Honestly, for me I think that the refs have dug their own grave here.
A few years back when Graham and Klemmer out and out bullied and threatened the ref, it should have been stamped on good and hard. Instead Graham got two weeks for his abusive, intimidating behaviour (and 2 for the tackle that caused it all) and Klemer got three week. This only months after the Fafita boys got a 12 month ban from Penrith JRL for an incident that was described by those there as no worse.
It should have been a minimum 12 months for both and Graham never allowed to captain again.

But totally typical of Graham - he has an ugly temper and is obviously a bully.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Regardless of the defence, or should I say lack of defence in the Dragons v Storm game, I don’t think anyone who saw the game could truthfully say that wasn’t one of the best 80 minutes of football this year. I like to see tries and I especially like to see awesome tries of which there were plenty on display from both teams.

Tit for tat for 60 minutes & then Cameron Smith decided to put on a Masterclass which had all Storm fans picking up their dictionaries to try and find a new superlative to describe him. I think we will just keep referring to him as the GOAT. Agents, managers and clubs will surely be tripping over each other trying to poach some of these young, mainly reserve graders from both sides. I can’t see how either club can keep them all.

If size matters then both teams have it and these big boppers must be itching to get another shot at first grade after Thursday nights game. I’d hate to be Craig Bellamy at selection time next week.

The worst play of the night was Gem cutting transmission as soon as the game ended. Hmmmm, wonder if it had anything to do with Melbourne Storm winning? Or maybe because Gus was too busy to add comments during and after the game. But then again Andrew Johns doesn’t waffle on all through the game repeating himself.

The Storm are coming!