Round 17 v Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hughes needs to never play QLD cup again. I'd sooner drop Slater or Chambers.

Loved Vete's cameo too. He can stay.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vete runs the ball extremly hard. Could be a huge X factor impact player for us down the stretch.
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree Vete was great, can pop a nice offload too and has some ticker, nice debut.

I can’t believe I’m typing this, but can Hughes hold Slater out of the #1 jersey, this kid is incredible ...
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This was a fabulous win. Yes the other mob had 5 blokes on SOO duty, but they have no injuries and we have 9 of our best 17 unavailable.

Jahrome Hughes - brilliant.

Confidence builder for Croft.

Vete an excellent cameo.

Cheese back with a vengeance

The hooker played ok too.

Folks - we are in this comp up to our ears.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vete was strong on debut. Powerful hit ups.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How high can Hughes finish in our player of the year voting? He's been a standout in the games he's played.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We were just fitter

May have been Cameron Smiths best game ever.

He toyed with them.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

NRL 2018: Storm blow away Dragons in tryscoring thriller at AAMI Park

FOURTEEN tries. Yep, you read that right.
Melbourne and St George Illawarra have played out an absolute thriller at AAMI Park on Thursday night, with the Storm running out 52-30 winners.

There were 11 State of Origin stars missing from the game — six from the Storm and five from the Dragons — but it didn’t certainly didn’t affect the attacking prowess of both sides.

he defence was certainly left wanting at times, particularly with the Dragons who crumbled with 13 minutes to go.

The away side were leading 30-28, before the Storm piled on four tries to put the result beyond doubt.

The Storm’s win means the Dragons have now lost 15 straight games in Victoria stretching all the way back to 1999.

What will be even more worrying for the Red V is the haunting statistic that no team has won the premiership after conceding 50 points in a game throughout the season.

To concede 50 points is certainly not what we’re about,” Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop said.

“We’ll learn from it pretty quick.”

Jahrome Hughes, Cheyse Blair and Ryley Jacks all crossed in quick succession before a 70-metre effort from Suliasi Vunivalu put the result beyond reach.

The win sees the Storm move to 24 competition points with South Sydney to move above the Dragons (26 points) on percentage with the bye.

The Dragons were poised to take a narrow lead into the main break after both teams had crossed for three tries, Gareth Widdop’s accurate goal kicking proving the difference.

But veteran backrower Ryan Hoffman stunned the visitors on the stroke of halftime with a 45-metre dash to the line on the final play of the stanza to put the Storm ahead 22-18.

Melbourne extended the lead with a Smith penalty soon after the restart but Luciano Leilua levelled the scores following a slick inside ball from centre Tim Lafai.

Young Tonumaipea struck back off the back of a bullocking run from prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona and the Dragons took the lead again with a set move from the base of the scrum setting up Mann’s second four-pointer.

But Hughes kicked off the Storm’s late flurry as he cut through the middle of St George Illawarra’s defence with Blair crossing for his second of the night three minutes later.

The Dragons could do little as Jacks put the game out of reach in the 72nd minute with Vunivalu outpacing everybody to add the exclamation mark on a strong second half.

Both Jacob Host (dislocated shoulder) and Joe Stimson (wrist) failed to finish the game.

MELBOURNE 52 (C Blair 2 B Croft R Hoffman J Hughes R Jacks C Scott Y Tonumaipea S Vunivalu tries C Smith 8 goals) bt ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA 30 (K Mann 2 E Aitken L Leilua N MacDonald tries G Widdop 5 goals) at AAMI Park. Referee: Matt Cecchin, Gavin Reynolds.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It was a funny game, I thought. Offensively we were outstanding, scoring 50 on the Dragons is always great, even if they weren’t full strength, cause they were closer to full strength then us. Hughes is probably my favourite player at the moment, outstanding. Croft I thought was awesome, although a few mishaps, so happy for him, surely put himself in good stead to get back in the side again. Vete, like everybody else, I liked what I saw. Brandon was strong as usually, except that poor defensive read along with Crofty. Cam Smith was Cam Smith. Suli did some good along with some poor. Scott and Blair both played well. Stimson was impressive. Overall defence was poor but offensive was great. Some poor calls from the refs that really benefited the Dragons. The best thing about the game was it brings us within 2 points of 1st place
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Blair was good. Chambers out; Blair in
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:Blair was good. Chambers out; Blair in
Good lord NO!!!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hands down THE best game of football I have seen in a long time. Better than a point minute scored between the teams.

How good is Widdop... and how good is Hughes! He should stay at 7 post-origin.

And how was Suli not awarded an 8 point try for Duftys WWE audition. Try was scored and the little grub went on with it. Maybe if the lads had remonstrated something else might have come from it.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And I will never, ever get sick of giving it to Graham.

Dirty ear biting, Vaseline coated vermin.

And English.

And ginger to boot.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cameron wrote:Blair was good. Chambers out; Blair in

Why not? Chambers has been kissed on a certain part of his anatomy.
I certainly wouldn't say his form warranted auto selection for Storm let alone Qld and Australia.
He's got photos/incriminating evidence of something for sure.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone heard anything about Stimson's (I assume) thumb injury? Bit worried by thumb injuries given our record this season with them