Round 14 - Storm vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers finally not playing as well as he used to be doesn't mean you were right all along btw.

If you're going to call for him being dropped (which he wont and he's signed for another 2 years so you're just going to have to get over it) at least come up with better options than "up and comer" and Cheyse Blair.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

*Finally* not playing well?

You”re either seriously deluded or having a lend of us.

It is already a given that this guy is never dropped. Atrocious form displayed at times since he came back from long term injury has meant nothing. Ship him out, pay his salary or pay out his contract. Whatever works. His continual selection has seen the detriment of the development of some of our players who have to play outside him. He is selfish individual, prone to frequent brain fades.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

My problem with Will Chambers is that he needs to be pulled into line by the Club for his lack of discipline. He has been drinking too much of his own bathwater and gotten away from what made him a good player a few years ago.

The example of this was his stink with Gallen in the last few minutes v Sharks. Gallen sucked him in. Chambers wasn't thinking about playing football in the final few minutes and it was only a point or so in it. Then after the game, Chambers wanted to fight and it cost him a week.

Other teams have worked Chambers out and his tough man routine is not holding up as his form on the field dissipates. He needs to get back to the catch and pass guy that he was a couple of years ago and set up our wingers rather than trying to "billy big time big note" himself.

Pull your head in, Will.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One of us is being deluded. One is being realistic.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is a good sign imo.

At least someone at the Club is identifying our problem.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/08/jes ... iscipline/

Bromwich: Storm warned over poor discipline

AuthorAndrew Marmont Timestamp Fri 8 Jun 2018, 07:01 AM

Melbourne are on a high discipline alert as they look to rectify their up-and-down Telstra Premiership campaign to get back in the top four.

Poor discipline has cost the premiers a chance to build regular combinations in recent weeks, with young centre Curtis Scott suspended for two weeks after punching Manly's Dylan Walker in their loss two weeks ago.

Veteran prop Sam Kasiano is serving his second suspension of the season, and even Storm captain Cam Smith got a week for a dangerous tackle.

And to compound things even further, Will Chambers has been suspended following Wednesday's Holden State of Origin opener for Queensland for a dangerous contact charge on NSW hooker Damien Cook.

Bromwich said on Thursday the topic has been addressed by the Storm hierarchy in the lead-up to Sunday's game against Brisbane at AAMI Park.

"A few of the boys being ill-disciplined - it's been a very big focus of the second half of the season," he said.

"Hopefully we can snap those out and start playing some good footy."
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No one at the club has brought up the poor discipline all season 100% fact.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well Jesse says they have now. Which to me is OMG fantastic.

Before you solve the problem; you have to identify the problem.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm a fan of Chambers but don't like his recent turn to one of the biggest grubs in the game. As I see it, some of his biggest strengths tend to feed some of his flaws:
he's super competitive - which sometimes leads to the worst cases of grubbery
he sees himself as a leader - which leads him to getting involved in stoushes between other players
he's a very strong runner of the ball - which means he doesn't do a great job of passing
he's got a creative mindset - which means sometimes he thinks too far ahead and makes silly errors

Overall my opinion is that his strengths generally outweigh the flaws but in recent times it has been a lot closer than I'd like. I do think he needs to pull his head in a bit but the potential is there for him to be a really good asset for us and for that reason I don't think he should be dropped or moved on.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The best Melbourne Storm has old Willy Chambers flying.

Unless he gets back to his best - we are limited on one side of the field.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

And the bloke cost us a premiership in 2016 by not passing. FFS. And now all he ever does is run himself to the sideline and kick it.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At least he lima lima lima duck showed up to the 2016 grand final.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

NevilleB wrote:And the bloke cost us a premiership in 2016 by not passing. FFS. And now all he ever does is run himself to the sideline and kick it.
Yep if Will had passed inside to Cooper Cronk, we would be back to back premiers going for a hat trick. It is a hard watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaZNyEoRf9E
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cooper Cronk did not play the grand final sorry.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:
NevilleB wrote:And the bloke cost us a premiership in 2016 by not passing. FFS. And now all he ever does is run himself to the sideline and kick it.
Yep if Will had passed inside to Cooper Cronk, we would be back to back premiers going for a hat trick. It is a hard watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaZNyEoRf9E
Wow, that footage is breathtaking. I wouldn't be overly critical because I couldn't imagine me seeing Cronk there in the clear.
Ifs, buts and maybe's. If your Aunty had the proverbials she'd be your Uncle.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote:Chambers finally not playing as well as he used to be doesn't mean you were right all along btw.
Mate, it ain't finally. He has been over-rated for years, and for the last two he has been a fair centre at absolute best.
He can't pass left to right - a fatal flaw in a right centre - and his defence is pretty average with the odd big hit thrown in. If he kicks again I'm going to throw the remote at the telly; he occasionally gets lucky (like his first kick on Wednesday which was way too hard but just happened to bounce up), but mostly it's dumb stuff like third tackle kicks giving his winger no indication it's going to happen and no space to work. All too often he comes too far in and leaves his winger stranded in defence.

Personally, I wouldn't feed him.
If you're going to call for him being dropped (which he wont and he's signed for another 2 years so you're just going to have to get over it) at least come up with better options than "up and comer" and Cheyse Blair.
Given the amount of money he's on, I'd be telling his manager to feel free to shop him around.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately