Round 14 - Storm vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jacks played his best game since forever.

Cheyse was very very solid and no mistakes

Hughes was fantastic and looked very good.

Our forwards keep getting injured but the ones still standing bossed BrisVegas.

Now those are good problems to have.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote:
TC wrote:I think it's time for Jacks to hand back the halfback role - at least for a while.
Generally pretty ineffective the last 3 or so weeks.
He just had his first positive attacking output for months and you want him dropped? For shame.
Read the bolded bit you just wrote. I think that in itself sums up why we need a change.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "positive attacking output". He threw two or three good passes (including one for a line break IIR) and a couple of his kicks found space but that was it.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cameron of course was massive - 48 tackles, run 87 metres and kicked for 435!
Kafusi had a blinder too; 116m, 40 tackles, a couple of offloads, a line break for a try and a 32m kick! Pretty much every time it took 3 of the donkeys to bring him down and he still got plenty of quick play-the-balls.

On the down side, that left side defence needs a lot of work. They scored two tries out wide purely due to poor defensive positioning.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
TC wrote:I think it's time for Jacks to hand back the halfback role - at least for a while.
Generally pretty ineffective the last 3 or so weeks.
He just had his first positive attacking output for months and you want him dropped? For shame.
Read the bolded bit you just wrote. I think that in itself sums up why we need a change.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "positive attacking output". He threw two or three good passes (including one for a line break IIR) and a couple of his kicks found space but that was it.
It was tongue in cheek. He's an average first grader and not really a halfback.

If he wasn't going to get dropped after the bye I don't think he will for the rest of the season.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote: It was tongue in cheek. He's an average first grader and not really a halfback.

If he wasn't going to get dropped after the bye I don't think he will for the rest of the season.
Lol, fair enough, I missed that.
My sarcasm metre doesn't work real well in the mornings.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/storm ... 9272812b68

Storm surge past Broncos to claim comeback 32-16 win at AAMI Park
Herald Sun
June 10 2018

CAMERON Smith piloted a superb comeback win for his side against Brisbane, but the victory has been soured by a serious injury to Storm prop Jesse Bromwich.

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy heaped praise on Cameron Smith’s influence after come-from-behind win over Brisbane Broncos.

The reigning premiers looked vulnerable, trailing 8-12 at half-time at AAMI Park, coughing up field position and points off the back of some loose carries and avoidable penalties.

But the comprehensive 32-16 victory has been soured with Storm prop Jesse Bromwich likely to miss a large chunk of the season with what appears to be a serious hamstring injury.

“I don’t think it’s a really good one, it’s not just a small strain,” Bellamy said.

“I think it’s going to keep him out for a bit by the look of it.

“Obviously Jesse is really disappointed, it’s been a bit of a disjointed year from him but I know he’ll work hard to get back as soon as we can and we need him to get back.”

Despite the early errors and injury setback, crafty captain Smith piloted the Storm comeback with nice runs and precise kicks.

“I thought his kicking all day was outstanding and he had a little bit of a plan today on how basically the Broncos defend their kicks and he came up with some real special kicks, some real special plays today,” Bellamy said.

“I don’t know what he’s thinking but I’m sure he’s made the right decision retiring from Origin, because again, he’s been a great help during the week with the Origin players.

“To go out and perform like he did, it’s a real credit to him. If he hadn’t have played today I think we would have been in a little bit of trouble.”

Arguably Smith’s best kick came early in the second half, deep in the left corner and just metres from touch and the Broncos defensive line.

As Boyd tried to gather the bobbling ball he was closed down by Josh Addo-Carr and cannoned out-of-bounds.

Storm scored off the corresponding scrum feed and went on to add three more in quick succession.

Smith credited instinctive Addo-Carr with the “big moment”.

“He can read those opportunities where we may have something organised but I choose to kick and he just literally just gets on his bike and gets down there,” Smith said.

“It helps having the speed that he has out wide, where if you kick long into space and you’re turning their big blokes around and isolating their fullback deep in the corner, that’s a pretty special play.

“It’s probably something we haven’t been so good at, I think as a spine, is our kicking game this year but it’s certainly something we’ve put a lot of effort to the last two weeks at training.”

Storm could face further scrutiny with the NRL match review committee likely to look at Suliasi Vunivalu’s hit on Boyd on or past the half-time buzzer.

MELBOURNE 32 (J Hughes F Kaufusi C Munster Y Tonumaipea S Vunivalu tries C Smith 6 goals) bt BRISBANE 16 (D Boyd J Isaako J Kahu tries J Isaako 2 goals) at AAMI Park. Referee: Ben Cummins, Matt Noyen. Crowd: 17,006
smallpoppy
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cheyse was one of the most solid.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Is that you Cheyse?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cheyse did nothing
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cheyse did nothing wrong
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cheyse did nothing wrong. FFS, he hasn't played a first grade game in god knows how long, let him find some game form.
(unlike some of the plonkers in our side who manage to give us a couple of howlers, weekly).
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Qwhite right. Leave Cheyse alone.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

There were a couple times good attacking chances broke down once the ball got to Cheyse. Honestly if it was Chambers instead of Blair then I bet everyone were would be throwing a tantrum about his game
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Deadpool wrote:There were a couple times good attacking chances broke down once the ball got to Cheyse. Honestly if it was Chambers instead of Blair then I bet everyone were would be throwing a tantrum about his game
I certainly would. Chambers hasn't been out for 6 months.

If Cheese is still having those sorts of problems in a few weeks I'll be questioning that too.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Deadpool wrote:There were a couple times good attacking chances broke down once the ball got to Cheyse. Honestly if it was Chambers instead of Blair then I bet everyone were would be throwing a tantrum about his game
Didn't realise Chambers was just returning from an ACL. I mean if we're going to compare...