Billy Slater - Rep Retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I didn't have BIlly as MOM last night, but happy he was in the conversation and I'm not completely against him winning it.
As for the Wally Lewis medal - I can't cop it. I'm a Qld fan, and certainly a huge Slater fan, but the fact he didn't play one game, and wasn't a clear standout in the other 2 means he can't possibly win it in my mind.

If it goes on votes, at an absolute stretch, I could have him on 3-4 for the series.

To me, Damian Cook was the best player of the series and was very stiff not to walk away with the medal. He carved in game 1, had a really good game 2 (from memory had 45+ tackles), and I thought he was really good again last night.

He's certain to be named Kangaroos hooker at the end of the year
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought Billy was as good as any last night, so was fine with MOM. He shouldn't have gotten player of the series though...

It was quite difficult watching McCullough at 9. The gulf between him and Smith is enormous. Hunt was better at hooker than he was in the halves.

I thought that Glasby played well in his stint too. Certainly contributed more than Jarrod Wallace.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Glasby was the defensive star and won the game for Queensland. How many tackles did he make in the second half when everyone was out on their feet.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:Glasby was the defensive star and won the game for Queensland. How many tackles did he make in the second half when everyone was out on their feet.
Hahahahahahahaahaha - Glasby won the game for Qld????? He did his job, but that's one of the craziest things I've read!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was surprised at Slater’s POTS award. But the voting system they use is a 4, 3, 2, 1 model. Do your own honest assessment on each game (without trying to get to a preconceived outcome) and I can understand how he won it.

MOTM last night was fair enough and he was one of the best on ground in Game 2.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I have no problem with Billy winning the Wally Lewis medal. As yourhero said he was man of the match in game 3 and imo was easily the best player on the field in game 2. Sure you could make arguments for Cook or someone but Slater was better in 2 out of the 3 games. Fair enough I say
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

steaming stormer wrote:
Cameron wrote:Glasby was the defensive star and won the game for Queensland. How many tackles did he make in the second half when everyone was out on their feet.
Hahahahahahahaahaha - Glasby won the game for Qld????? He did his job, but that's one of the craziest things I've read!
Really. It is no fluke that Glasby has a SOO success rate of 100%.

Glasby is the guy you want in the centre of the field, defending for his life when you are in front.

If he plays game 1 or 2; the series result may have been different.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also, just on the 4, 3, 2,1 voting model - It has the exact same perceived flaws as the Dally M. You can play like a busted for 15 rounds, letting in try after try (or even be injured for half the year) but suddenly you turn it on and have a run of 3 Dally M point MOTM games.

Your shit (or absent) games just aren’t a consideration in this model.

Personally, I am fine with it though. This is quite literally a case of NSW fans having their yearly whinge. “We won, we deserve the medal!” :roll:
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't mind the voting process kinda.. It just takes away from singular performances that matter. Tedesco and Cook both had better standout games than anyone in the series. And both were good enough in the other two games for me to pick either one. The fact that NSW won it should absolutely matter here.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Bill got 3 points from all 3 judges in both games that's 16 points

Anyone could've got 4 points in 2 games and lost

It's just a dumb voting system
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/origi ... 948b365c38

But Daley and Meninga have both hit out at critics who are questioning their integrity, defending their decision to reward the Melbourne No. 1.

“One thing I do know and Mal Meninga knows and Darren Lockyer knows — don’t ever question my integrity, don’t ever question (why) I’m voting because of whatever reason,” Daley said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“I always vote because I believe they’re the man of the match.”

Daley said he can see why NSW fans are unhappy but stood by the decision to recognise Slater’s contribution across two games.

“I can understand why people are disappointed and blowing up this morning over Billy Slater receiving the Wally Lewis Medal,” Daley said. “He’s been very good in games two and three and I believe he is the player of the series.

“I can understand the frustration from NSW supporters because we want a NSW player to win.

“But that’s why rugby league is so good, it’s all about opinions and it’s all about following and supporting your team. Some people thought Damien Cook could have been player of the series, some people thought James Tedesco could have been player of the series.

“It’s opinion-based and everyone has their opinion about who should be player of the series.

“I’m happy with my selections.”

NSW five-eighth James Maloney said that while Slater had performed strongly, a number of Blues players were more worthy recipients.

“I think Teddy was very good. I thought Tommy Trbojevic was outstanding. There’s a whole heap of guys that put in massive performances for us,” he said. “There’s no doubt Bill was a real key player in Queensland’s performance.

“But at the end of the day we won the series. You’d think they probably could’ve found a deserving recipient in our team. But oh well, it is what it is.”

Laurie Dailey is one of the fairest people in the world.

So he is impeccable.

Look at it this way - The 4-3-2-1 from each judge in the first game don't really get many votes in game 2 or game 3.

Game 2 - Slater comes back and makes a huge contribution that was missing in Game 1, sets up 3 tries.

All 3 judges go for a different NSW player as the best player on the ground. But all 3 go for Billy Slater as the 2nd best player. So Slater gets 12 votes.

Game 3 - Slater puts in a really good performance again, Qld win and it is his last game. Some emotion in it. Again Slater is voted best or second best player on the ground by all 3 judges. Slater scores 13 votes.

Slater has 25 votes for the series.

And NSW's performance is so even and so spread from one game to another that no one really stands out that much. so no NSW player gets to 25 votes over the 3 games.

Hence Slater wins Man of the Series.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I did my own voting to see what I would get;

Game 1
4 Points - James Tedesco
3 Points - James Maloney
2 Points - Greg Inglis
1 Points - Damien Cook

Game 2
4 Points - Boyd Cordner
3 Points - Billy Slater
2 Points - James Maloney
1 Points - Valentine Holmes

Game 3
4 Points - Billy Slater
3 Points - Valentine Holmes
2 Points - Tom Trbojevic
1 Points - DCE

Player of the Series - Billy Slater (7 points)
Runner Up - James Maloney (5 points)
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well done yourhero. You are smart.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just noticed barely any forwards. Huh... Oh well, you know what they say about opinions...
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

the thing was Cordner excepted who was imo NSWs best forward

the NSW forwards were consistent and low key for the whole series.

probably why they won.

previously NSW would pick forwards like Aaron Woods whose games would fluctuate widely. MOM one game and a stinker the next.

The NSW were just workman like and consistent. A no-name brand of achievers.