Cameron Smith - Rep Retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Daniel Andrews should beat them to the punch here and get it sorted outside AAMI Park.

Some will say wait until he is retired... To that I say "who cares". Do you honestly think in the reflection of his retirement that Cameron Smith will still not be regarded as one of, if not the very player to ever pull on a boot? If anything, his legend will just continue to grow.
He's too busy with social engineering programmes to think of that
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brilliant news, this means one less player to pray for before each SoO game. I wince every time one of our boys gets tackled.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mick Ennis now coming out saying he thinks Billy won’t make it through the series as well. Is it just me or do you get the feeling like the NSW media are trying to force Billy out? That’s the feeling I get when I read these, they don’t want to face him and they’re trying to up the pressure on Slater to get him to walk as well. Pretty low NSW. Also how overrated is Ponga right now? I mean yeah the kid is talented but he’s still not as good as Slater
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think it's fair to say that Billy would find it very difficult to back up from origin games this year. I wonder if that's what Ennis meant?
I reckon if Billy hadn't missed those two years with the shoulder injury then he wouldn't be playing rep footy right now and would be more focused on his storm commitments like Smithy. I suspect the only thing driving Billy to succeed in the rep arena is the fact that he missed out those two years and he feels he still has something to prove maybe (something Smithy definitely doesn't have to do). That's my opinion anyway.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cameron wrote:They will hand out SOO tickets for free or below cost price come game time...

like they always do in Melbourne
Is it written in your contract that you have to post a certain amount of off-topic shit to bait people? Or is it a 'value added service' ?

In case you can't remember what it said at the top of the page, the topic of this thread is "Cam Smith - Rep Retirement".
If you had said, 'Now that Cam's not playing they will have to hand out SOO tickets for free or below cost price to get a decent crowd', that would be relevant commentary on the topic. What you wrote? Not so much.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Find it odd that GI is not only pencilled in for origin one but apparently should be captain as well.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... gin-asset/

Fresh Smith an Origin asset
melbournestorm.com.au
Tue 12 Jun 2018

Cameron Smith is always an asset and an A-grade one at that, however he will prove his weight in gold for Melbourne more than ever during this year's Origin period.

After announcing his retirement from representative football three weeks ago, Storm are relishing having their skipper in purple for the entirety of the Origin period.

"I'm not sure what he's thinking but I'm sure he's made the right decision retiring from Origin," Storm Coach Craig Bellamy said following the captain's Man of the Match performance on Sunday.

"He's been a great help during the week with the other Origin players away.

"He always steps up but he's even been a little bit more vocal this week and a little more reassuring for the new players coming in.

"To go out and perform like he did is a real credit to him. He was outstanding."

The NRL games record holder admitted not being involved in this year's Origin series has certainly freshened him up when it came to games in the purple jersey, and that can only be a good thing for Storm fans.

"Over the last couple of weeks I've felt great coming to training," Smith said.

"I've probably had a bit of an extra bounce in the step at training and around the place.

"It's a really important period for our club with our standing on the ladder and also going through the Origin period.

"All the players involved are crucial players to our side."
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cameron was superb v Broncos.

He is playing as good as ever.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Smith's influence in Origin period sets up run home

Alicia Newton
Sun 15 Jul 2018

Anyone who questioned Cameron Smith's decision to quit representative football need to look no further than the benefits both he and Melbourne have enjoyed in the past six weeks of the Telstra Premiership.

It began in round 12, a fortnight after Smith announced his retirement from the Queensland and Australian sides, and ended with a penalty goal to win the game 14-13 over Manly on Saturday night.

The veteran scored a try and kicked a penalty goal in Melbourne's 7-6 win over the Cowboys back in May – the game before the club would farewell at least five Origin stars over the next six weeks.

Melbourne missed their inspirational hooker in round 14 through suspension, and succumbed to a 24-4 loss on home turf.

But from there on, arguably Smith's biggest efforts couldn't have come at a more needed time as the Storm look to become the first side to go back-to-back in the NRL era.

The field goal at Adelaide Oval against the Roosters, an influential performance in last week's big win over the Dragons and a penalty goal to seal victory against the Sea Eagles.

The last six weeks for the Storm could have been a whole other story given Smith's concerns over the physical and mental toll Origin has had on him in recent years.

"Whether it has been or not had an effect on the younger players or guys in our squad I'm not too sure," Smith said of his decision to focus on club football this year.

"Over the best part of 15 years and more so the last couple I haven't been able to give too much through Origin. Craig (Bellamy) was giving me a lot of time off, I think that was more of a hindrance to the club than anything.

"I feel like I have a lot more energy to give to the club and team each day at training and on the weekends when we're playing.

"I'm just really happy I can spend some time now with this footy team, particularly the younger guys coming through because we have a lot of older boys at the club that will be coming to the end of their careers soon.

"These young fellas are going to be the future of our club and the faster they can get up to speed with being consistent NRL players the better the club will be."

Melbourne have not enjoyed a more successful Origin period since 2011, and Smith will now welcome the return of key men Billy Slater and Cameron Munster to help push for a title defence.

"It's an ongoing grind to finish the year and make up for the days you miss at training and the fatigue factor," Smith said.

"It's just been nice coming off a short pre-season because of World Cup commitments, to build now and I feel that personally, I'm in a really good spot."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Smithy’s rep retirement has boosted his chances of back to back Dally Ms. He has been phenomenal over the past 2 months.

Dally M odds;
$4.50 Kalyn Ponga
$6.00 Gareth Widdop
$6.50 James Maloney
$8.00 Cameron Smith
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... 2o6rypqvhd

Cameron Smith: Melbourne Storm 'haven't fired a shot yet'

“Over the last eight weeks we’ve won a lot of close games, a lot of matches where we haven’t necessarily been at our best but effort and the willingness to stay in the fight has got us home.

“I think this year we’ve won three games by one point, so we haven’t really blown any teams off the park consistently.

“So I think that’s where we really need to sit down and get serious about our performances because looking across the games that we’ve played this year, I don’t think we’ve really fired a shot yet, to be honest.

“We’ve had a lot of scrappy wins like today where we didn’t really throw too much at the opposition throughout the game but we just were tough enough to stay in it.

“… We went through a little period where we scored 30-plus points in three consecutive games (in Rounds six, seven and eight).

“So that shows the capability of our side but we just need to find that consistently ever week to try and make it a little easier on ourselves in the matches that we play for the remainder of the season.”

Coach Craig Bellamy conceded Storm’s attack can be better but preferred to focus on his side’s impressive defence in recent weeks.

“I think there’s a fair bit of work to be done, we’ve had three half-backs this year so that makes it a little bit hard on the combinations but we’ve certainly got the players there to start playing with a bit more consistency in our attack,” Bellamy said.

“... I like my footy teams to be tough and gritty so hopefully we can continue doing that (defending well) and hopefully we can sharpen up a bit with our attack.”