Round 11 - Storm vs Sea Eagles

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We have seen a pretty consistent pattern this year.

When we get in front in games; it is all hunky dory and we play like we did last year.

But when games become a scrap and we can't seem to score; even if the game is close, we get amazingly frustrated and try to over do things and make plays out of nothing. Hence our ball handling in some games has been at u10 level.

The player we are missing the most is Cooper Cronk who would always calm it and just go back to our systems knowing that eventually something would come.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:We have seen a pretty consistent pattern this year.

When we get in front in games; it is all hunky dory and we play like we did last year.

But when games become a scrap and we can't seem to score; even if the game is close, we get amazingly frustrated and try to over do things and make plays out of nothing. Hence our ball handling in some games has been at u10 level.

The player we are missing the most is Cooper Cronk who would always calm it and just go back to our systems knowing that eventually something would come.

I think we miss Cronk because it’s put a heap of pressure on Billy. He is trying to do too much to create something in the absence of a true playmaker, this is causing the timings to be wrong, the passes to be pushed and so on. I think dependency on bill has increased this year instead of planning for life without billy.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

1. I was impressed with the work of Harry Grant. IMO he showed more in his short time that Brandon Smith who did not play at the level I'd hoped for. Some of his passes were not the best.
2. I would agree we lack an effective play maker for whenever Goat's not out there, go forward is non existent. Billy is the best FB of the modern era but he seems to be trying to much at first or second receiver.
3. Is it time to revisit Croft as Jacks although better option in defence but I didn't see much effective attack and the halves last night did not really shine.
4. You can have the best game plan in the world but if the players don't hang on to the ball !
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Scott 3 weeks with early plea and koroisau only 1 week. What a disgraceful game. Only 1 week for being third man in and striking to the blind spot of his head
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fortunately it's only two weeks.

I'm legit confused over how Koroisau can just run in and punch someone not looking and only get a sin binning and 1 week suspension. Don't condone what Scott did but how is that not worse?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Did you guys honestly expect a reasonable, professional or consistent response from the NRL?

This game could not be more amateur if they tried. Another embarrassing day to be an NRL fan.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They ARE trying to be amateur. Perenara has a job as a referee, QED. He has more influence now than in his playing days, that's for sure.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote:Did you guys honestly expect a reasonable, professional or consistent response from the NRL?

This game could not be more amateur if they tried. Another embarrassing day to be an NRL fan.

Absolutely this ^^^ 100%.

If the NRL was also serious (which they're not - they're rank amateurs at pretty much everything), they will not allow this result to stand. They cannot possibly let this scoreline and result stand in the record books following that sin bin timing farcical situation. I think the clubs need to replay this game IMHO if an NRL person was at fault. If it was a Manly cock-up, they should be stripped of the 2 points.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Was an NRL cock up but there's no need to replay the game. Manly got the two points and as far as I'm concerned they deserve them more than we did. Hard to be outraged at the timing of the sin bin returns when your team is playing like that.
The bigger concern for mine was that koroisau only got sin binned for throwing a punch: should have also been sent off and it should have been 12-12 for the rest of the game.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Incorrect. It is the same as having an extra man on the field. In this case - 2. It can’t seriously be ignored or swept under the carpet. This is a big deal and the NRL are conveniently hoping it will just go away. I agree with you that Storm don’t deserve the points given the way they played, but that’s not the issue, here.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed Kettles. I think we all agree that we didn't deserve the two points with the utter trash we dished up but that doesn't mean the issue of the early sin bin return should just be ignored. This incident significantly undermines the integrity of the game. This is a huge issue and should not just be marked up as a 'mistake' that we all move on from.

The rules of the game are paramount. The processes used by the NRL to enforce the rules need to be sound, transparent and consistently applied.

And whilst we we may all agree that we don't deserve the win, even teams playing sh*thouse footy occasionally win games. No team should be impacted in this way, ever. Otherwise, why even have rules?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:The bigger concern for mine was that koroisau only got sin binned for throwing a punch: should have also been sent off and it should have been 12-12 for the rest of the game.
I think Curtis Scott should have only been sin binned. That was what the NRL said when they brought in the no punching rule... It is also what has been applied in other instances of striking in recent years. Why the change now? Why was it a send off? Surely the refs cannot just change on the fly and apply an arbitrarily harsher penalty on a whim?

Even then, I am OK with a send off if it is consistently applied. Api Koroisau's dog shot from the side was a much worse look for the game than Curtis throwing them at a guy shaping up to him. But just 10 in the bin and a week on the sidelines?

Why does every decision in the NRL need feel like a f*cking lottery.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't mind it being a send-off offence (I mean "won't somebody please think of the children???") and I personally don't think either Curtis or Api were worse than each other but I think they both deserved the same punishment.
Yes you're right that the issue of the sin bin timing should not be ignored: I just find it hard to care about it when my team completed at 61% on the weekend.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder how many times we completed 2 sets in a row? Felt like we had an error every other set.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The second half was diabolical... We completed 5 of 13 sets.

16 Errors (10 just in the second half)
13 Penalties Conceded (Total)
0 Line Breaks (Total)