Round 9 - Dragons vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sunday 9th May
2:00pm
Jubilee Oval

1st vs 4th (maybe 5th pending Tigers game still to play in Rd 8 ).

The Dragons only have one loss, to them team we just pumped 50-10. The Dragons have beaten the Sharks twice already this year and smashed the Titans 54-8.

Hard to look at results in 2018 and draw any meaningful conclusions. The team that shows up with the most intent and commitment will likely win.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Going to be a tough battle with us missing some forwards. Need the guys who are healthy to really step up for us to get the two points.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Suli for Scott.
Dale for Glasby.

Hopefully Munster is OK otherwise I imagine Croft gets a recall.
aussiestorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

On the other boards, I see some of the Dragon's fans having an almighty whinge already. Painful memories for them from last year.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

aussiestorm wrote:I see some of the Dragon's fans having an almighty whinge already.
In other groundbreaking news, water is wet.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

haha!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What would they be whinging over already?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
aussiestorm wrote:I see some of the Dragon's fans having an almighty whinge already.
In other groundbreaking news, water is wet.
That's meant to be a secret
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure what aussiestorm is referring to above, however I have seen two comments on social media already about how the Storm will likely win playing the ball after the siren...

That was four years ago... The ball played a fraction of a second after the siren. The NRL had to use freeze-frame technology to come to that conclusion.

I hope like hell the same thing happens, just for the volcanic eruption of social media tantrums that would follow :lol:
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The NSW teams are fair dinkum sooks. What is in the water in Sydney? Sook-juice.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think the last two weeks have shown that the Storm have clicked in offence. The first few games of the season were always going to be rough, their entire structure was lost and they suffered one of the biggest off season loss’s in the comp. Anyone that expected an immediate positive showing was kidding themselves.

Last year was the same, our Melbourne Storm tend to slowly start the season, one or two wins, one or two losses, and everyone questions their credentials for the year to come. in 2017, those questions were ceased in round 9 when they took on the dragons who were the front runners of the competition.

Smith, Slater and Cronk did it to NSW in Game 2 and 3 last year. They moved the ball wider of the ruck quickly and didn’t let the larger NSW forwards in the game. The softer surface that some (Dumb NSW commentators)claimed stopped the NSW quicker, stronger more agile big men was only a small part of Smith’s game plan. How many NSW fans whinged about Hayne going himself and not passing to Morris?

Although our Melbourne Storm only dropped four games last year and two of those were in Origin time. They had that terrible game against the Sharks and then round 10 epic against the Gold Coast, those were the only two games that they dropped before Origin. This year they have already dropped three with two to the Tigers, if they meet again this year it will be interesting. They have had three big scores over the last three weeks, 40 against the Knights, 34 against the Broncos and 50 in last night’s, that’s 124 points for three games, which is in impressive average of 41 points per game. If they kept that average up, the back to back premiership should not be too hard to achieve.

I tipped the Storm to go back to back at the start of the year, expecting Croft would neatly transition into the Cronk role and it would be all systems as usual. With Croft’s failure to assume that role so far, we have seen Smith now taking over much of the number 7 role when expansive play is on, whilst Riley Jacks just fits into the defensive structure and backs up where needed. This seems to be working well currently and Munster is hitting his straps with it, but an injury to Smith or SOO rests could see dramatic impacts on this whole structure. Makes the GOAT even more vital to be on the park than last year.

Our Melbourne Storm move the football better than any other team in the NRL. Cameron Smith’s first pass is flat, fast and out in front to he supports consistently. It starts there. Teams playing against the Storm usual have attackers running both sides of the ruck often in numbers which stops them rushing up in numbers and allows the Storm to get over the advantage line. It’s the quality of ball skills that others in the comp fall to do. St George are also moving the football and attacking both sides of the ruck with Widdop and Hunt.

The Cowboys don’t because they run one out and JT dominates the ball restricting the attack by playing to flat and giving supports limited time to continue the ball movement. When he passes early the players outside can ball play they look better.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Wow, this Dragons team seems to be the real deal. They keep turning up in defence and have clever halves who are able to utilise their electric backs to good effect.

Even though they were beaten by an under-strength New Zealand Warriors team , they look to be the team to beat in 2018. The forwards battle is where this game will be won and the Dragons have the upper hand with our injuries. The halves, outside backs from both sides can score as long as they’ve got the forwards rolling forward.

Surely the Melbourne Storm will have something to say about that, but for the moment, lets focus on the Dragons smashing of the Roosters – a fierce match that was played in the trenches for most of the proceedings.

Four players that we need to account for based on the Roosters game are:-

1. Tariq Sims
Sims’ clear job was to hustle and bustle Cooper Cronk out of the game. He was relentless and contributed to Cronk having a game he’d probably rather forget. Every time Cronk had the ball in hand, his timing was limited by the dominant performance of Sims. He looked under pressure for the entire game, whether kicking or passing. And to add salt into the wound, he crashed over the top of Cronk to score a try from close range.

Sims is having an outstanding season. He’s always been pretty potent in attack but this year he’s gone to another level and his defence which used to be a weakness is now a big strength. His fitness I think is the main factor as with the rest of his teammates. They just seem fitter and stronger than other teams and keep going to the 80. He is also a pretty aggressive player and hits hard, same as De-Ballin. Having two of those types in your team is a big big plus.

2. Ben Hunt
What a buy for the St. George Illawarra Dragons! He has zip and has combined brilliantly with Gareth Widdop to create an attack that we’re not used to seeing from the Dragon sides of previous years.

Even when they won the grand final, ironically against the Roosters in 2010, their game was based around tackling rather than spreading the ball. This conservative approach has given way to razzle dazzle from Ben Hunt, helped by endless offloads from the forwards.

3. Gareth Widdop
Despite the fact that he missed two relatively easy penalty kicks, Widdop showed the Rooster halves how to control a team. He organised and schemed his way through the game, giving Hunt the time to play his natural running game.

4. Nene McDonald
The Dragons winger is 111kg, so he’s literally like having another forward in the backs. He often requires three defenders to halt his progress in the middle. Plus he is a great finisher, even though one of his tries today was awarded after a very dubious decision from the video referee.

McDonald definitely dropped the ball after being hit by Cooper Cronk, but the adjudicator believed he had a finger on the ball as it released from his grasp. Nene is a former Rooster, so he was surely primed for a big game.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:The first few games of the season were always going to be rough, their entire structure was lost and they suffered one of the biggest off season loss’s in the comp. Anyone that expected an immediate positive showing was kidding themselves.
I expected better. If they held the ball and didn't concede penalties at will, I think we would have seen much better also.
Cameron wrote:Last year was the same, our Melbourne Storm tend to slowly start the season, one or two wins, one or two losses, and everyone questions their credentials for the year to come.
No we don't. We start strong almost every year. Last year we only lost one game between Rounds 1 and 9 (Round 6).
Cameron wrote:I tipped the Storm to go back to back at the start of the year, expecting Croft would neatly transition into the Cronk role and it would be all systems as usual.
I don't get it? Above you say that anyone expecting an immediate positive showing is kidding themselves, then you follow that up with your own expectations for a seamless transition of halfback and "systems as usual".
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I swear we're getting trolled with how differently he reacts to things. After starting 2-3 it was the end of the world now it was obvious we were going to start slow.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I swear we're getting trolled with how differently he reacts to things. After starting 2-3 it was the end of the world now it was obvious we were going to start slow.

i agree Blazza..

Cameron.....Image
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time