Round 7 - Broncos vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bernard Sutton is adamant a drop kick can be taken at ANY time in a game...not just a field goal attempt.

Whether Billy meant it or not...it was a drop kick...so intent is irrelevant.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20/ref ... -kick-try/
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, I read through the International Rules and NRL interpretations last night. It was technically a legal try.

Whether or not it should be is a separate question (probably not IMO) but the refs are there to enforce the laws as they are now. Which they did.

Benji scored a try like this a few years ago. Rule change is required to change this - but that comes with some risk.

The anger and vitriol directed at Slater and the referees is absurd.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:
The anger and vitriol directed at Slater and the referees is absurd.
Why would there be anger towards Slater, he himself got up showing to his teammates it wasn't a try. It wasn't as if he was claiming it.
I suppose haters gotta hate.

A few soft trys let in and I don't like admitting it but i had to agree with the commentators when they said Hoffman hadn't slid across when a try was scored out wide (when Suli rushed in and the ball went wider)
It was noticeable when there was a close up of Lodge giving a player a facial and the commentators were mute yet earlier they were going on and on after Nelson had come in and tackled Lodge around the legs (and he got a penalty after the filthy prick laid on the ground, of course he was up and running immediately afterwards). Players from all teams do exactly the same thing, especially when the tackled player is walking forwards.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith once again excellent in limited minutes.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to every one with a rule book. It is a try. So they say it is not in the spirt of game. Do we play to the rules of the game or the spirt of the game. Deliberately throwing a ball into a player to get a penalty is not in the spirt of game but in the rules and plenty are doing that. Not a lot of so called expects like that either. Slater was just very lucky because a dropped ball worked out for him. Others just wish they were that "skillful" to be able to make a mistake turn into something great.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Referees boss has come out and confirmed the Slater try was 100% correct
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Slater was outstanding last night and given all the preseason talk about Munster he has come out and absolutely killed it. Been our best and most consistent player.
I would also like to give Hoffman a huge wrap. I questioned his return/selection but he's turned back the clock and playing really well.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater has been good since taking the first month off.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, exceptional last night. He just looked on. A number of early touches, took the line on a number of times and looked dangerous all night.

Perhaps just a mental thing in the opening rounds. The tweak to the shoulder looked to have him a bit tentative with contact (and fair enough). That didn’t seem to be an issue last night.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Think it's clear how much both him and CSmith needed some match fitness under their belt plus Smith was dealing with that groin injury as well. Add that to the halves pairing misfiring it translated to being 2 and 3.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lodge free to play with early plea - no carry over points in past two years when he was beating up defenseless women, load of s$%#
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If it was the week after the McKinnon incident, you think that gets Grade 1? Pffft.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy Slater is a genius and everyone else is stupid but we knew that already.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Billy’s try can not bring a rule change as some of our sprit of the game commentators are asking for. Because a drop kick is use in different parts of the game when you are are not going for a field gold. Eg line drop out, 20 meter drop out and others I am sure. But as for passing into a player rolling away from the play the ball on the ground that another matter.