Major RL Events in Melbourne

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... overnment/

NRL secures deal with Victorian government
melbournestorm.com.au
Sun 15 Apr 2018

The NRL has secured a seven-year deal with the Victorian Government which will see a number of major events played out of Melbourne.

The package will see two State of Origins, two Test matches and an All Stars contest all played out of Melbourne between 2019 and 2025.

As part of the new agreement:

- Holden State of Origin will be played in Melbourne in 2021 as well as 2025;
- Test matches involving the Kangaroos will be played in Melbourne in 2022 and 2023;
- The Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars will be played in Melbourne in 2019.

“This agreement will see some of our biggest events played in Melbourne over a seven-year cycle,” NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

“State of Origin is the biggest sporting rivalry in the country and it will be great to further set in stone the schedule over the next period with two more matches in Melbourne.

“State of Origin will now be played at the MCG this year, followed by Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne again in 2021 and 2025.”

Mr Greenberg said the Andrews Labor Government’s strong desire to see marquee matches showcased in Melbourne was a significant boost for the game not just in Victoria but generally.

“All Stars is a celebration of Rugby League and will for the first time be played outside of NSW or Queensland,” Mr Greenberg said.

“The Rugby League World Cup showed there is real passion for international Rugby League across the country and it will be on show in Melbourne in 2022 and 2023.

“I’d like to thank the Andrews Labor Government as well as Visit Victoria for their continued support of Rugby League.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we get the All Stars next year but in it's revised format... Basically the Indigenous team vs a new team (not the NRL All Stars). No idea what this game will look like or whether it will actually be something people want to see. People already weren't overly interested in the current concept with all the stars* of the game.

*Not always stars.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I liked the Indigenous All Stars vs Maori All Stars they had as an opener to one of the previous World Cups. Wouldn't mind watching that. At least they would be playing for pride in their jersey unlike the NRL All Stars who wouldn't care about the game at all.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To be honest, I have only watched one half of NRL All Star footy ever. The concept just doesn't appeal to me in it's current/old format.

Two Indigenous teams playing (Aboriginal vs Maori) at least has cultural pride on both sides and something to take interest in.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm in the same boat. No interest at all in watching the "All Stars" (ie. whatever fringe first-grader gets leave from his club to participate) but the Indigenous vs Maori (maybe even Pacific All Stars?) would be something I might actually go to.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Am I the only one who doesn't want Origin in Melbourne? I wish it would stop entirely, just sit there and hope for no injuries.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry Mattpoet, not there with you on that one. I love Origin and all that it brings to the game. It is unique. It is passionate. It is all encompassing. It has it's presence felt throughout the game.

In some ways I do hold my breath and hope for no injuries, but to focus too much on that would just take away from such a magical sporting spectacle.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:I liked the Indigenous All Stars vs Maori All Stars they had as an opener to one of the previous World Cups. Wouldn't mind watching that. At least they would be playing for pride in their jersey unlike the NRL All Stars who wouldn't care about the game at all.
I'd like to see an Indigenous and a Maori side in the Wold Cup one of these days.

Chuffed about the All Star game coming here.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't want Origin in Melbourne? I wish it would stop entirely, just sit there and hope for no injuries.
Why would you want to do away with the single biggest sporting event in the country?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm Victorian, why should I care about NSW vs Qld? Additionally, I pay my membership to the Storm to see the best 17 run out each week and Origin ruins that for 2 months every year. I hate it to my core. Sorry.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:I'm Victorian, why should I care about NSW vs Qld? Additionally, I pay my membership to the Storm to see the best 17 run out each week and Origin ruins that for 2 months every year. I hate it to my core. Sorry.
As long as the elite players get 50k in their retirement fund for every origin they play I doubt it'll go anywhere any time soon.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote:I'm Victorian, why should I care about NSW vs Qld? Additionally, I pay my membership to the Storm to see the best 17 run out each week and Origin ruins that for 2 months every year. I hate it to my core. Sorry.
I get what you're saying but I also think that playing Origin gives our players some valuable experience in big game situations like finals football. I think playing with and against the best can help players improve their game back in club land.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maybe if it wasn't in the middle of the season I'd be less opposed to it. I don't know.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne Storm are always decimated by Origin - it has probably cost us one or two premierships due to losing games in this period, injuries, attrition of our best players which doesn't manifest itself till the finals.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The alternative is you don't have Origin calibre players in your team and you probably struggle to make it to finals anyway. I know which I would prefer.