Round 6 - Storm vs Knights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote:I too feel confident that we will win this week. Not by much and it will be ugly but but the end of the season, who cares how we win. As long as we get the points. I agree we haven't played well but when I believe when you add context to the game ( reffed out of the Cronulla game and one single act by JAC leading to a try) it's not all doom and gloom. One single bounce of the ball going the right way (Eddie to JAC) and he's off to score the winning try.

Maybe I'm being to optimistic but I believe that some players are responding ( Suli not trying to continually attempt the miracle try/Intercept). I feel a bit sorry for Croft but I saw a Matty Johns interview where he said that a half back needs more time to dominate his role than five games ( he actually said 20 or 30 games but I hope that's not right.) I cannot remember just when Cooper Cronk went to half back (I'm guessing 2005 Mattpoet?) so maybe I'm a little bit optimistic that Croft still has time to grow into the role.
Start of 2006 but he'd probably had 20-30 games, mostly off the bench.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy not planning ahead better with Croft/Smith and instead playing Griffin token 10 minutes a game has accidentally hurt us now.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:Bellamy not planning ahead better with Croft/Smith and instead playing Griffin token 10 minutes a game has accidentally hurt us now.
Croft/B Smith or Croft/C Smith?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brodie Croft and Pat Kaufusi drop out of the 21 man squad.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Young Tonumaipea
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Ryley Jacks
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nelson Asofa Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Joe Stimson
15. Tim Glasby
16. Christian Welch
17. Sam Kasiano

18. Brandon Smith
21. Justin Olam
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy reveals halves decision

melbournestorm.com.au
Thu 12 Apr 2018

Ryley Jacks is set to wear the No.7 jersey for Melbourne on Friday night.

Craig Bellamy made the decision to select Jacks in place of youngster Brodie Croft when Storm take on Newcastle at AAMI Park.

It is a healthy competition for the halfback role than can only benefit the team and the players throughout the year.

Jacks played 12 games in his debut season in 2017 while Croft’s outstanding pre-season saw him earn first crack at the No.7 to start the year.

Now Jacks is back with another chance at the position.

“Last year he did a really blue-collar job for us – he played his part without a doubt,” Bellamy said.

“Last season there was always going to be someone come back from rep footy or back from injury. This is probably a real chance for him to grab something a little bit more permanent. Having said that we have a lot of belief in Brodie as well.”

Croft will likely line up in the Queensland Cup, where he will look to gain further experience having played just 10 first grade games at 20 years of age.

His coach is certainly confident the move to feeder level will help his development.

“It didn’t give me any joy to leave him out but I just thought it was the best thing for the team and perhaps the best thing for Brodie at this stage,” Bellamy said.

“As I said at the start of the season, we never expected him to play the whole season but after the last couple of weeks I thought it was the right thing to do.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bit in bold is particularly interesting...
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote:Bit in bold is particularly interesting...
Especially when on the foxsports website, there was an article a couple of weeks ago suggesting Jacks wanted out to join Brisbane as he wasn't getting enough quality first grade time.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jacks will have his shot now. Because of the way the cards have fallen; he will have his shot to prove he is a big time player with us a year early rather than having to change teams. And other teams had noticed him' make no mistake.

All the has to do is make sure he does the basics well.

Sure he is playing out of position but he is a really good tackler and kicker.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Have you ever watched Ryley Jacks before?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Not sure Jacks brings anything to our attack which is where we've been lacking.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Watching the Bunnies / Roosters game last night highlighted how valuable a good dummy half runner can be. Both Damien Cook and Victor Radley were electric after their forwards got them a quick play of the ball.
If only we had someone in our squad who could do something similar...
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jacks brings consistent effort and good fundamentals relating to the basics.

That is exactly what we have been lacking.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Watching the Bunnies / Roosters game last night highlighted how valuable a good dummy half runner can be. Both Damien Cook and Victor Radley were electric after their forwards got them a quick play of the ball.
If only we had someone in our squad who could do something similar...
A player the late mail suggests wont be in the 17 again.