Round 6 - Storm vs Knights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How good was that fend from Curtis Scott on Danny Levi. Thought he was fantastic tonight. Still wanna see Brandon Smith get more minutes, but I suppose a handful of minutes is better then none
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maybe there's a reason for it but I just cannot understand why any winger would stand so far inside his opposite number. Anyone have an explanation?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The worst thing to happen to Suli was being given a jumper in the 20 year storm side. He may well get there by the end of his career but right now it's a shocking selection and has probably made him complacent. He's certainly got ahead of himself.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just back from the game. good night. Reckon we turned the corner.

no extravagance. just completions and defense.

Old school Melbourne Storm.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Jacks did very well at securing the 7 spot. I wouldn’t say he’s a world beater but for his first game for the season he seemed to make our right edge look a bit more calm and settled, we seemed to have more time and also be “reading from the same playbook”.

I think Jesse played with a bit more fire in his belly. His previous performances were full of silly errors and penalties, he has begun redeeming himself and leading again.

Curtis Scott once again, winning or losing he goes 100 miles an hour and does not stop - severely underrated but only because of who he plays alongside of.

I think the improvements came down to attitude, it’s the most important factors in each of our losses. I think a great example was when Young T rushed and made a clutch tackle, it was like he scored a game winning try - very good to see.

I would also say Munster was 10x more active than he usually is and did an excellent job.

Credit where it is due to the players they’ve really responded - however the realist in me knows that we came up against an extremely ordinary Newcastle side.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Big Sams eyes lit up for his first Storm try.

May there be many more.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Suli's defence has always been terrible. I can't believe it hasn't improved. Nearly all of them aren't even missed tackles he doesn't even get in a position to attempt a decent tackle.
I didn't catch the whole game but from what I seen Munster was superb as was Jacks who just played it simple.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Simple but effective.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

J Brom and NAS were strong. Ran hard and made Metres after contact. As did big Sam in his lesser minutes. I enjoyed seeing Smithy take some darts out of DH.

Billy was dangerous all night and Jacks played his part perfectly.

Much better overall team effort.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think Sam knew what to do for a second when he found himself in open space haha.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Better in the second half.

Billy was superb tonight. Set up a number of tries, kicked well, drew the sin bin with a quick penalty tap, and pulled off a try- saver on Ponga.

Loved seeing Brandon Smith out there. First hitup he grabbed 15 metres. The balance on the bench looks so much better when he is there.

Glad Will is back next week, but Young did make one cracking tackle.

Felise and Sam finding a bit of form. Munster in everything. Jacks a safe pair of hands.

Still far from their best, but encouraging .
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good win against good opposition.
Thought we looked much better in attack.
Those last 10 minutes before half time were not great though.
Jacks was great at 7.
Slim Sam scoring a try was awesome.
God Slater got some genuine hate on social media last night. One idiot wanted someone to break his jaw. Saying he is a cheat for diving. Ummm, he was allowed to tap and go in that situation and he got tackled when the tackler was offside.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The people having a sook about Slater are idiots. If Fitzgibbon doesn’t grab him then he doesn’t go to the bin. You can’t blame Slater for that. I’ve also heard people complain about Slater didn’t get to his feet to play the ball when he got the penalty, but he clearly did
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... e-bellamy/

It's not rocket science: Bellamy
melbournestorm.com.au
Sat 14 Apr 2018

Footy is a simple game sometimes.

Get the ball. Hold on to it. March up the field. Put it down over the line.

Those four simple steps have eluded Melbourne Storm in patches early on season but on Friday night against Newcastle it all came together.

On the back 58 per cent possession, which was as high as 80 per cent after the opening 20 minutes, Storm enjoyed their highest completion rate of the season.

So it came as no surprise to the coach that his side managed to run in seven tries in the match for a convincing 40-14 win.

“We had scored one try in two weeks and all of a sudden we’d scored seven tries tonight,” Craig Bellamy said.

“We completed 87 per cent, the last four weeks we’d been completing at 60 per cent. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out what works.”

Ever the perfectionists, this side is always looking for areas to improve on their performance.

A lapse towards the end of the first half allowed the Knights to run in two of their three tries in the game.

That period from the 28th minute to the 40th will likely be a focus of the review for the upcoming week.

“I was extremely pleased with the way we started the game, there was no doubt about that, that was more like the team I know we can be,” Storm skipper Cameron Smith said.

“I agree with Craig, I am a little bit disappointed in some of the efforts in defence. We made some special efforts to hold the Knights up on the line but a couple of their tries were soft tries.

“That was certainly something we have to address quite quickly, that is something we have always had high standards on, our defence, particularly on our goal line.”

Last edited by yourhero on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote:The people having a sook about Slater are idiots. If Fitzgibbon doesn’t grab him then he doesn’t go to the bin. You can’t blame Slater for that. I’ve also heard people complain about Slater didn’t get to his feet to play the ball when he got the penalty, but he clearly did
Exactly. This is THE only relevant point. Don't touch Billy in this situation, not even with a finger.

when in an off side position, Fitzgibbon has NO right to lay a hand on Billy taking a quick tap from a penalty.

The morons have missed the point completely
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time