Round 3 - Storm vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with that!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rugby League is way more popular now in Melbourne... Storm have been awesome for RL. Loads of people get behind them and as I stated before media identities.

As for heckling... I've never experienced that once as an RL fan in AFL territory. My AFL mates that were born in Melbourne and Adelaide all like RL now.. yes thanks to me.

The only thing between the codes I notice comes from some RL fans that seem to have a deep seeded hatred towards AFL.
And if the powers that be at the NRL were smarter the Grand Final rematch would of been huge... so frustrating that something like that can be so easily overlooked. In the end the crowd wasn't THAT bad. It was 13K against one of the lowest drawing teams in the league on a Thursday night. I think there is a good chance that will be the storms lowest crowd this year which would be a good result IMO.

Sydneysiders might not know that there is not one RL club within 27KM of AAMI Park. There is no opportunity for juniors or families to get involved in the sport. It is not going to grow significantly.

Would it have been better on another night not against possibly the biggest game of AFL outside of the finals this year? Obviously but it's not the end of the world.

Edit: there is way too much doom and gloom about the popularity of the storm in Melbourne. The fact that they can still attract 13K against 90-100K fans at the MCG with who knows how many watching on TV shows how strong the core supporter base is. The match couldn't have been on at a worse time and it still did ok. Even the ratings were pretty steady compared to last week despite the competition.

I think the fact they still got 13k despite the Tigers playing across the road is testament to their growth. They couldn't have avoided going head to head with any Round 1 game - Essendon tonight, Collingwood Saturday, Melbourne Sunday. I doubt they would've got anything north of 15k on any other night.

Crowds averaged 18k last year in Melbourne. The averaged 11k in the last year at the old Olympic Park. To say the sport has no traction or that the new stadium hasn’t increased crowds is not correct.

How many Sydney teams does the 2017 Storm average beat again? In a city dominated by AFL, Storm still manages to beat out every single Sydney team, a RL city. If that question needs to be asked of Melbourne does it need to be asked if it has enough RL traction in Sydney?

What I agree on is making it Thursday. Poor choice for a GF rematch IMO
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Happy with the win. Good to see some effort in the running game and defence after last week.

Still loads of improvement though.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Main difference for mine was that we made positive errors trying to create last night as opposed to the negative ones against Wests.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

I think the fact they still got 13k despite the Tigers playing across the road is testament to their growth.
Great to have an atmosphere that could of easily been something under-whelming and on a Thursday night. It surpassed my expectations.

One thing I would like them to add, they have some music they play at the end of the game specially written just for the Storm, but they should be playing it more through out the night, wee snipets of it here and there.
I mean the cow-bell is ok to do on occasions but if that's the only chanting that goes on ? Fans deserve a wee bit more lol.

Great to have your views put out there Cameron.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is great to have a bad loss then come out and storm (pun intended) over the joint premiership favourites on a Thursday night and then sit back and have the weekend to enjoy.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cameron wrote:Rugby League is way more popular now in Melbourne... Storm have been awesome for RL. Loads of people get behind them and as I stated before media identities.

As for heckling... I've never experienced that once as an RL fan in AFL territory. My AFL mates that were born in Melbourne and Adelaide all like RL now.. yes thanks to me.

The only thing between the codes I notice comes from some RL fans that seem to have a deep seeded hatred towards AFL.
And if the powers that be at the NRL were smarter the Grand Final rematch would of been huge... so frustrating that something like that can be so easily overlooked. In the end the crowd wasn't THAT bad. It was 13K against one of the lowest drawing teams in the league on a Thursday night. I think there is a good chance that will be the storms lowest crowd this year which would be a good result IMO.

Sydneysiders might not know that there is not one RL club within 27KM of AAMI Park. There is no opportunity for juniors or families to get involved in the sport. It is not going to grow significantly.

Would it have been better on another night not against possibly the biggest game of AFL outside of the finals this year? Obviously but it's not the end of the world.

Edit: there is way too much doom and gloom about the popularity of the storm in Melbourne. The fact that they can still attract 13K against 90-100K fans at the MCG with who knows how many watching on TV shows how strong the core supporter base is. The match couldn't have been on at a worse time and it still did ok. Even the ratings were pretty steady compared to last week despite the competition.

I think the fact they still got 13k despite the Tigers playing across the road is testament to their growth. They couldn't have avoided going head to head with any Round 1 game - Essendon tonight, Collingwood Saturday, Melbourne Sunday. I doubt they would've got anything north of 15k on any other night.

Crowds averaged 18k last year in Melbourne. The averaged 11k in the last year at the old Olympic Park. To say the sport has no traction or that the new stadium hasn’t increased crowds is not correct.

How many Sydney teams does the 2017 Storm average beat again? In a city dominated by AFL, Storm still manages to beat out every single Sydney team, a RL city. If that question needs to be asked of Melbourne does it need to be asked if it has enough RL traction in Sydney?

What I agree on is making it Thursday. Poor choice for a GF rematch IMO
Great post.
I am an AFL and NRL fan.
My first love is Australian Rules Football, but I fell completely in love with rugby league about 10 years ago.
My teams are (obviously) Storm and Richmond.
I went to round 1 vs Wests Tigers.
But as a lifelong RIchmond fan nd to see our flag being raised at the MCG, it was a no contest for me as to which game I would attend.
That may not be popular on here, but I am at least honest.
Why the NRL scheduled the two teams that played in the GF on AFL opening night was a mystery to me, until me mate, who is very knowledgeable when it comes to leage, said "It was a bumper game for Channel 9. They run the show now."
Just a pity I had to choose.
I would have played our round 2 game as an away game. Therefore you don't clash with AFL round 1.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forgot about Captain Smith not taking the last kick. Wonder what happened to him? He's started the season slow so I wonder if he's carrying an injury?

Storm are very upfront with all this so expect to know in a month or two.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hi said in the press conference he got a knock to the leg just before half time and he not kicking was a precaution. Munster also did the restarts and Croft took the penalty kicks for the touch line. So there much be a injury somewhere because does everything usually.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ah true cheers. Hopefully nothing serious then.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stats that Matter - Round 3

Suliasi Vunivalu played his 50th game on Thursday night and the milestone also doubled as a record breaker. The Fijian Flyer has now scored the equal-most tries after 50 NRL games of any player in rugby league history since the stat was first recorded in 1980. His career tally of 48 from 50 appearances has him tied with his fellow countrymen Semi Radradra at the top of the list and one suspects Vunivalu will occupy that top spot for a very long time to come.

Most tries after 50 first grade games (1980-2018)

Suliasi Vunivalu (Melbourne) - 2018 - 48
Semi Radradra (Parramatta) - 2016 - 48
Alex Johnston (South Sydney) - 2016 - 44
Steve Ella (Parramatta) - 1983 - 44
Nathan Blacklock (St George Illa) - 1999 - 41
Phil Blake (Manly) - 1984 - 40
Curtis Rona (Canterbury) - 2016 - 39
Noa Nadruku (Canberra) - 1995 - 38
Scott Donald (North Queensland) - 2004 - 38
Billy Slater (Melbourne) - 2005 - 37

When your percentage of tackles made is that high it is rare you will lose any football games. A sore point out of last week’s loss was the 32 missed tackles Melbourne committed however against the Cowboys that stat was down to a more respectable 19. Ryan Hoffman led the way with a game-high 32 as the purple wall were back with a vengeance.

To put 30 points on the Cowboys with a low completion rate of 70 per cent is a sign that this Storm attack has plenty of improvement still in it. The men in purple seemed likely to score almost every time they ventured deep into Cowboys territory, it was just a matter of holding onto the ball long enough to get up there. Craig Bellamy wants his side up in the 80s for this stat so expect this to be focus point for Melbourne moving forward. Cleaner ball will equal more points so it is an exciting sign for the weeks ahead.

That is seven straight wins in a row for Melbourne over North Queensland. For as close as these two teams have appeared in their form over the last few years it is hard to believe the recent head-to-head has been so one sided. There will be no complaints though from Storm who will hope to continue their run and make it eight straight when they meet again in Townsville in Round 12.

In his 38th NRL game Christian Welch produced his maiden NRL try and boy didn’t his teammates love it. The 23-year-old collected the ball from Cameron Smith out of dummy half and with just five metres between him and home, there was simply no stopping him. Every single teammate ran over to celebrate with Welch as the moment was the perfect cherry to top off a fantastic comeback after missing most of last season with an ACL injury.

Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Stats that Matter - Round 3

Is that the pass that wasn't? :oops: