Round 3 - Storm vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

NAS is my new favourite player, what an absolute beast!!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Loved what I saw from Brandon Smith in limited minutes too, should be in the 17 again next week
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith needs to be in the 17. He's an absolute bulldog!
Suli rocks and diamonds and usually in the same play. Not sure if he should be dropped dont like the replacement options.
How did we honestly score 30 and our halves had nothing to do with it!
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

When Brandon came on it was just pure energy and he got us going to score those 2 tries. Has to be in the 17 each week. Piss Hoffman off
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What was the deal with cam Smith not kicking in the second half. Kickoffs we're gone by Munster and Croft did the goal kicking and touch finders
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Can we please keep Brandon Smith in first grade? Please? If he gets some time then he would surely by favourite for rookie of the year
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS has been a real standout 3 games in. Just wish he could get more minutes. Not sure if it’s a development thing or Bellamy doesn’t think he can go more than 30-35 minutes but he needs more. He’s legitimately our best forward atm with Jesse continually just going through the motions.

71 minutes it took for Smith to come on. Made an immediate impact. Should be in our strongest 17. Should play more.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bellamy said in the press conference that he is looking to give NAS more minutes. Said the HIA to Kasiano really messed with his interchange plans
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ok, so these NQ Cows have helped themselves to a lot of our recent playing roster. I cite Hampton, O’Neill, McLean. It’s probably only fair that Cohen Hess comes to us. I can even think of a swap 2nd Rower to sweeten the deal.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think we played tremendously well given the context of the performance the week before and the fact the Cowboys are premiership favourites.

We brought

a) energy
b) effort

I can cop mistakes as long as the guys are busting their guts.

Last night, we made a quality Cowboy forward pack look average because we out worked them.

Belemay's game plan was brilliant and reinforced the "new Storm"...

Sideline to Sideline at every opportunity for the first 20 minutes and then through the middle for the next 20 minutes - in both halves.

Munster on Thurston - Munster showed how good he is! Munster is a star.

Other than Hess; we were brilliant in defence too.

We out worked them and we out hustled them.

and we ran out the game as well.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Green savages Cowboys players after Storm loss

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... z93wj1k1pe

Green declared his men were beaten on effort rather than talent as the Storm continued their recent dominance over the Cowboys, including a 34-6 victory in last year’s grand final.

“Regardless of who we played tonight if you turn up with that attitude where you’re hoping or you’re looking for an easy night, against a good team you’re going to get (beaten),” he said.

“It disappoints me because I know we’re better than that but until we’re prepared to work hard for it, it’s not going to happen for us.”

“… We weren’t anywhere near consistent enough in our effort and at the moment, in the last two weeks in particular, we’re getting beaten in effort areas – not on skill or talent.

“We’re just hoping for an easy ride at the moment.”

While NRL fans and pundits focused their anger on the referees after they blew a whopping 20 penalties in the contest, Green focused his ire squarely on his own players with a rare public spray.

“Stop reading the headlines for starters and just a more consistent effort in the little areas of the game – the little tough areas of the game,” Green said when asked what his players need to do to turn things around.

“And obviously defence is the first area for that, we’re just conceding too many easy points and tries at the moment.”
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Jesse really going through the motions. Smith was good when he came in, Nas is our best forward by far this year. Hoffman had a good game, I'm happy with his effort and lift from last week. Should play 80mins again next week. Stimson unlucky to be out for Felise when fit
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Good!

92.5% tackle completion

When your percentage of tackles made is that high it is rare you will lose any football games. A sore point out of last week’s loss was the 32 missed tackles Melbourne committed however against the Cowboys that stat was down to a more respectable 19. Ryan Hoffman led the way with a game-high 32 as the purple wall were back with a vengeance.

The Bad!

70% completion rate

To put 30 points on the Cowboys with a low completion rate of 70 per cent is a sign that this Storm attack has plenty of improvement still in it. The men in purple seemed likely to score almost every time they ventured deep into Cowboys territory, it was just a matter of holding onto the ball long enough to get up there. Craig Bellamy wants his side up in the 80s for this stat so expect this to be focus point for Melbourne moving forward. Cleaner ball will equal more points so it is an exciting sign for the weeks ahead.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote:Ooh, Hoffman caught out badly on Hess's second try and i think he was just as much to blame as Munster for the first.
Yup. Having said that, it was definitely his best game in Storm colours for a long time.
B Smith was fantastic: put Hess on his bum with a great under the ribs solo tackle.
C Smith needs to adapt to the new ref interpretations. They're cracking down on dummy half passes and aren't shy about calling them forward. He's getting slower service from the play-the-ball because the tackled player is extra careful about playing the ball with his feet. Those micro-seconds are enough for the block runner to overrun the play so they really need to get their timing right.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote: The Bad!
70% completion rate
To put 30 points on the Cowboys with a low completion rate of 70 per cent is a sign that this Storm attack has plenty of improvement still in it. The men in purple seemed likely to score almost every time they ventured deep into Cowboys territory, it was just a matter of holding onto the ball long enough to get up there. Craig Bellamy wants his side up in the 80s for this stat so expect this to be focus point for Melbourne moving forward. Cleaner ball will equal more points so it is an exciting sign for the weeks ahead.
Yes and no.
With ball promotion and movement comes risk, risk can equal reward but it can also give more chances for error - low completion rates.
Some of the real impulsive, rush of blood moments where players needed to settle and just play the ball properly, give the pass earlier just didn't need to happen. Being selective will, I think, be worked extensively on.