Rd 2 vs Wests Tigers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can see a late change for Kenny to start this week in his 100th game.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy in. Who is out? Jacks played very well imo. But he probably goes.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When you look at the Tigers pack (dare I say the entire team), there is not much to write home about. I was critical of the Dogs line-up last week but really, the Tigers are the only other team that look really, really bad on paper...

Having said that, the Tigers effort last week should be enough to show you cannot just rock up on game day and expect a win...

The Tigers defensive line speed was very good last week. Forced the Roosters into errors and stopped them gaining any real momentum in the game.

Our forwards will need to be ready for that and return serve when defending. Or we risk our pants being pulled down like the Roosters.

Storm by 20, regardless of line-up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roosters only completed at 68%. Tigers completed at 84%.

Tigers only missed 21 tackles.

Tigers also had Luke Brooks in the sin bin for 10mins.

Early rounds - Hold the ball, you drastically increase your chances of winning.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigers pack last start;

8 Russell Packer
9 Pita Godinet
17 Matthew Eisenhuth
11 Chris Lawrence
12 Robbie Rochow
13 Elijah Taylor

10 Ben Matulino
15 Alex Twal
16 Michael Chee Kam
18 Matt McIlwrick

Hardly awe inspiring, but they did the job.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looking forward to system back rower bouncing back and creating havoc on the right edge.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Todays paper has a story that to celebrate Storm's 20 years. This week Aami Park will be renamed The Graveyard. bringing back memories of the games we played at old Olympic Park. Nice touch, loved The Graveyard.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:Todays paper has a story that to celebrate Storm's 20 years. This week Aami Park will be renamed The Graveyard. bringing back memories of the games we played at old Olympic Park. Nice touch, loved The Graveyard.
I might be the only one... but I didn't like The Graveyard. I mean, I appreciate the nostalgia, the memories and the outstanding record we had there... but I just didn't think it was the best ground to watch RL at and the facilities were average. *awaits the hate :lol:

I was so excited and happy when I walked around AAMI Park on the opening day. We are quite lucky, it really is an amazing venue. I may be partially swayed by my purple bias, but I honestly don't think I have attended a better ground to watch RL at.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yourhero, I agree Olympic park was a horrible venue to watch Rugby League. It was cold and windy, not many seats, which do not have great views of the game, nearly no cover, bad lighting and the faculties were not good. But I loved going there. Aami Park is great in every way Olympic Park was not and it is one of the best grounds in the country watch Rugby League at. But I still have a very soft sport for the Graveyard, I do not know why. Maybe I am a just getting old and remembering things through rose colored glasses.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was our club's childhood home in many ways and that's probably why we have the fond memories despite the archaic conditions
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I remember when we were leaving the Graveyard one of my biggest concerns was how Storm Man would manage without hooning his quad around the athletics track!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Awesome can't wait to head home to the graveyard
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

From the press conference called earlier today...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... e23e3d55b2

Billy Slater overcomes shoulder injury, to play his 300th game against Wests Tigers

Ben Glover
FOX SPORTS
MARCH 13, 2018

BILLY Slater has overcome a shoulder injury to take his place in his 300th NRL game for the Storm.

The champion fullback will run out in front of his home crowd and become the 31st player in history to notch the illustrious milestone in Melbourne’s clash with the Wests Tigers on Saturday night.

Slater was absent for the Storm’s impressive Round 1 win over the Bulldogs, with Cameron Munster starring as his replacement in the No.1 jersey.

Addressing the media on Tuesday, Slater said he was very close to proving his fitness for the season opener in Perth and had always been confident he would be ready to go for Saturday despite his recent history of shoulder injuries.

“I was close to playing Round 1 so I was pretty sure I’d be right for this Saturday night at AAMI Park,” Slater said.

In some ways it makes reaching the milestone all the more special, with Slater able to salute his loyal home faithful.

His return will trigger a switch in the halves with Munster likely to pair young No.7 Brodie Croft as the Storm’s new-look spine belatedly runs out for its first game together.

While Munster filled Slater’s shoes superbly against the Bulldogs, Craig Bellamy said he “couldn’t imagine a better fullback than Billy Slater”.

“Few players have been able to accomplish what Billy has in the game and that quite simply is down to how hard he works,” Bellamy said.

“His attitude towards and ability to embrace hard work sums him up as a player and as a person.

“From the first week he came to Melbourne to trial for a contract he has always been hungry to improve himself and help this team to be as successful as it can possibly be.

“It has been a privilege to coach him for all these years.

“Both our club and the competition have been lucky to see perform with such class and commitment week in and week out.”
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Almost our best team.

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich