Official Injury Updates Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, great news!
storminghome
Squall
Squall

Does anyone have the stats on what players have been out injured this year and the number of weeks missed? We seem to have a number of “fresh” players heading into the Prelim with our top 17 available.

Cheers
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scott Drinkwater officially ruled out for 3-4 months with torn pec :'(
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... f67cc0cbbc

Melbourne Storm fullback Scott Drinkwater set to miss 3-4 months after scans confirm pec tear
Gilbert Gardiner, Herald Sun
4th March 2019

WINGED Melbourne Storm fullback Scott Drinkwater will be sidelined for 3-4 months after scans yesterday confirmed a torn pectoral muscle.

WINGED Melbourne Storm fullback Scott Drinkwater will be sidelined for 3-4 months after scans yesterday confirmed a torn pectoral muscle.

Drinkwater, who firmed as the replacement for retired icon Billy Slater after a standout preseason, will see a surgeon this week to plot the recovery.

The budding 21-year-old speedster sustained the injury last Saturday night in Mackay while sliding to make a regulation tackle.

Storm football director Frank Ponissi backed Drinkwater to “restart again” following the lengthy rehabilitation ahead.

Drinkwater could be available again for selection towards the end of June, giving the Terrigal junior scope to push a spot in Craig Bellamy’s starting 17.

“He’s had such a fantastic preseason, done all that work, to really put himself in the picture to challenge for the No. 1 jersey,” Ponissi said.

“We’re shattered for him. It’s a big loss for us as well, while we weren’t totally settled in the fullback spot at some stage he was going to feature.”

Versatile back Jahrome Hughes will slot in for next Thursday night’s NRL season-opener against Brisbane Broncos at AAMI Park barring any further setbacks.

Hughes debuted for New Zealand last year and had long been touted as Slater’s natural successor prior to Drinkwater’s eye-catching preseason.

The talented playmaker will train fully this week after been nursed back from a tight calf, experienced during the NRL All Star Game, and head knock.

Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona, who had to bide his time to debut for the Kiwis following injury setbacks early in his career, said Drinkwater will “come back stronger”.

“I really feel for Drinky, he put so much work into the preseason to fill in the boots for Billy,” Asofa-Solomona said.

“Whoever fills in that role, I’m not sure who that will be, but he will do a good job for us.

“I was having a chat to him the other day and he said to me this is his first big setback so I think the person that he is, he’ll come back stronger and take in that experience of a big setback like that and use it to his advantage when he comes back.”

Storm veteran Will Chambers has also resumed training following a slight ankle complaint.
shorton
Squall
Squall

That’s basically season over for him.

Disastrous for our team
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

shorton wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:05 pm That’s basically season over for him.

Disastrous for our team
Just a couple of points:

1. Regular season runs until 8th September. If we make it all the way to the GF that's 6th October. That's seven months. Even if he's out for four, that still not "season over".
2. Hardly disastrous. While very talented, at the moment he's a fringe first grade player - nothing more. We have other good options at fullback and number 7 - absolutely no need to worry.

Oh, and

3. You are Cameron and I claim my 5 pounds.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ry-update/

Storm forward Tom Eisenhuth was taken to hospital last night after receiving an accidental elbow to the throat in the final stages of the NRL clash with Brisbane at AAMI Park.

He was having breathing difficulties post-game.

Tom is being assessed by medical professionals and will remain in hospital today.

A further update will be provided by the club when more information is available.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hopefully he's ok
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That’s a weird one with Tom...he literally played 6 minutes after getting hurt in the tackle walked all the way around the ground taking photos with fans talking to them then went up to the social club and did the fan meet and greet and interview on stage then went back to the change rooms ...if he couldn’t breathe he didn’t look like it
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

His throat muscles would have been slowing swelling. He would have just thought it was bruised from a knock and would not have worried until he couldn't breathe because it was so swollen it was almost closed
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When did it happen? Was it the incident where he gave away the penalty? I thought he may have been hurt then but he got up and seemed fine.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 am When did it happen? Was it the incident where he gave away the penalty? I thought he may have been hurt then but he got up and seemed fine.
Apparently it was that tackle
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He definitely reeled out of the tackle. My first thought was a sternum injury. Rough penalty to get when you have an injured player in a tackle.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tom Eisenhuth sidelined with injury for 'indefinite' period

melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 18 Mar 2019

Melbourne Storm forward Tom Eisenhuth has undergone surgery on a fractured larynx sustained in last Thursday night’s NRL season opener against Brisbane at AAMI Park.

The 26-year-old left hospital this afternoon and will be out of the game for an indefinite period.

Storm General Manager – Football Frank Ponissi said everyone at the club wished Tom all the best with his recovery.

“We were all excited that Tom made his debut for Storm on Thursday, especially after such a long wait between NRL games since his debut in 2012, and it’s very unfortunate that he has suffered this setback,” he said.

“Tom has shown us plenty of resilience and determination since he joined us midway through last year and we know he will bounce back, but it will take some time.”