Official Injury Updates Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Honestly think this 2-3 week break isn't a terrible thing for Brandon and may even do him some good. He'll be absolutely chomping at the bit by the time he's cleared to play again. Look out!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ract-blow/

Welch takes LA Lakers tips after cruel ACL contract blow
Dan Walsh
NRL.com Reporter
Thu 30 Jan 2020

Christian Welch's recovery from the ACL rupture that cost him a lucrative move to Parramatta has taken him all the way to the multi-million dollar facilities of NBA powerhouse Los Angeles Lakers.

Welch has resumed a full training load with the Storm and is hoping to get back on the paddock in their February 29 trial against North Queensland in Casey, putting him in the frame for a round-one NRL return.

The Queensland Origin prop had his 2019 campaign ended, and a three-year offer from the Eels scotched, when he suffered a second ACL tear against Brisbane in August.

Welch then activated a contract option in his favour to remain at Melbourne this year, having feared an earlier knee injury in May was also season-ending.

Having been through a gruelling rehab process already after undergoing a knee reconstruction in 2017, Welch travelled to Los Angeles last month for 10 days of rehab at UCLA, working out of the same facilities used by the Lakers.

Welch's work with UCLA's Kevin Zapanta, who has previously trained athletes in the NFL Combine, has complemented his Storm rehab program and has him bidding to return eight months after going down at Suncorp Stadium.

The 25-year-old is already well-versed in the fickle ways of rugby league fate.

His previous ACL rupture cost him a place in a grand final winning side, while his latest setback has him coming back from injury with his contract beyond 2020 up in the air.

"It can just change so quick. Last year I was pretty close to signing elsewhere and obviously I did my knee and from there you just need to work hard at getting back, playing well and then assessing your options," Welch told NRL.com.

"I just need to get back and play well, then see what's out there and where things sit.

"It's a bit of an unstable time for me, I haven't been in this position before. We broke up into small groups in [Storm] pre-season camp where we were talking about personal experiences, and it's something that came up and it is something that scares me a little bit.

"A lot of it is out of your control. You can do all the work and it can still go again.

"But being back around the main playing group training again, I'm reminding myself not to take this for granted.

"It's such an amazing job we do and we're so privileged to do it, you remember to enjoy the pre-season and gearing up for what's hopefully another successful season."

Welch's 2019 campaign had a bit of everything, with 16 games around the two knee injuries and a cherished Maroons debut in the Origin III thriller.

A post-season trip to Uganda with Ryan Papenhuyzen and Tim Mannah for Compassion Australia broke up his rehab, with the UCLA visit to follow.

Welch has switched up his running technique as a result of the Stateside insight.

"We did some biomechanics testing and identified that I'm a quad dominant runner and I need to strengthen up my posterior muscles, and we worked on rebuilding the lower leg muscles so I'm not as reliant on my quads to stop and do all the work," Welch said.

"It's been a different program with some ideas after doing some rehab in LA.

"The Americans do things a little bit differently, over there I was doing almost a physio session through weights, I was doing weights in a running position compared to things here in the gym which is more squatting and lifting.

"Ideally it will build up my other muscles and keep me on the paddock."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Welch to be ready for a trial in late Feb and then ready for Round 1. Quite incredible given he only did his ACL in early August.

Interesting to see that he is looking to change his running style to avoid pressure on his ACL. Not sure how feasible that is but hopefully he can dodge any more bad luck. Fingers crossed for a huge year.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m hearing Brandon Smith will miss the first ~4 rounds with a broken cheekbone. Horrific news.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Craig is apparently livid.

Happened 2 minutes into the Indigenous game.

Craig allegedly wasn’t keen on Brandon playing in the All Stars game but let him, as Brandon wanted to play alongside Isaac Luke who he looks up to. Craig requested 25mins max for Brandon. The Maori played him 55mins with a broken cheekbone...

Un-f*cking-believable.

Doesn’t bode well for future rep teams that want to use Storm players. Craig will (quite rightfully) be reluctant.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 am Craig is apparently livid..

Doesn’t bode well for future rep teams that want to use Storm players. Craig will (quite rightfully) be reluctant.
Even if he was injured and nothing has been said anywhere Craig would never EVER EVER stand in the way of a player playing for representative squad EVER weather they did a little finger or an ACL he would never stop them playing for their country state or for the man on the moon so go somewhere else and make up stories
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Injury update on Brandon Smith.

Scans have revealed he suffered a facial fracture in the All Stars game.

He will not need surgery and is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.

5 minutes later this come out from the storm...I’ll apologise

One good thing is we didn’t let Harry go...now Harry gets at least 4 weeks in first grade
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
yourhero wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 am Craig is apparently livid..
so go somewhere else and make up stories
Make up stories??? You want to calm the f*ck down? Where is my history on this site of 'making up stories'? Also, did I say he would refuse players playing in rep teams? No, I said he would be reluctant and I don't blame him if rep coaches not affiliated with the Storm put players at considerable risk.

::)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I did delete that but some things don’t get deleted that quick on this forum...either way I apologised in my next post and I’ll apologise again

Let’s stay Cheesy RD 1 is coming quick and it’s exciting
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 ameither way I apologised in my next post and I’ll apologise again
No problem, accepted.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am I did delete that but some things don’t get deleted that quick on this forum...either way I apologised in my next post and I’ll apologise again

Let’s stay Cheesy RD 1 is coming quick and it’s exciting
Can never doubt yourhero's information.

It's always accurate.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hearing Brandon's recovery has gone well and he looks likely to be back early (this week). Great news.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The gash(es) on Finucane's head from the Manly game. Gruesome. One of the worst I have seen.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 3ec2vJUnMW
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... und-three/

Injury Report - round three

melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 18 May 2020

Football Operations Coordinator Ryan Hoffman has the latest on injured players as we head into the long-awaited third round of the Telstra Premiership.

Prop Tui Kamikamica has been nursing a minor back injury since training resumed but is expected to play in round three.

The powerful forward scored a try in round two and averaged 98 post-contact metres in the opening two rounds of the season.

"Tui should be right for the first game back against the Raiders, he's just had a back niggle," Hoffman said.

Premiership player Nelson Asofa-Solomona is also expected to suit up in round three despite a minor hamstring injury.

"We're confident both Tui and NAS will be good to go for round three," Hoffman said.

A run of bad luck has sidelined Aaron Pene since mid-2019 and he will likely miss another three to four weeks (achilles), while Sandor Earl will miss at least one week (hamstring).
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Poor Aaron hopefully he gets right at some point this year