Bellamy soon to make Storm call

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Will Bellyache walk?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bellamy-soo ... coach-call

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy says a busy pre-season has delayed a decision on his future but he hopes to make one in the next few weeks.

Updated Updated 3 mins ago

Premiership-winning coach Craig Bellamy says he's hoping to make a call on his future at the Melbourne Storm in the next few weeks.

In his 16th season at the NRL club, Bellamy's deal with the Storm finishes at the end of the year and the Storm are desperate to extend his tenure.

The 58-year-old has has guided the Storm to seven grand finals since taking charge of the Victorian club in 2003, winning four of them including last year's emphatic defeat of North Queensland, and would be the hottest coach in the open market in 2019.

Bellamy said his decision had been delayed by Melbourne's busy pre-season, which included hosting the World Club Challenge against Super League champions Leeds and then a testimonial match for captain Cameron Smith and Cowboys legend Johnathan Thurston.

"I must say I haven't really given it a whole heap of thought," Bellamy told AAP.

"I thought I would have by now but it's been pretty hectic here in the last month so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll know what I want to do."

While he came close to retirement before his latest deal in 2016, it's believed he's reinvigorated by the success of the young talent in his line-up including Cameron Munster, Brodie Croft, Brandon Smith, Curtis Scott and Jahrome Hughes.

Bellamy has close ties to Melbourne outside of football with his son Aaron one of the Storm's development coaches.

Veteran stars Smith and Billy Slater, both 34, are also off contract this year.

The durable Smith is tipped to play on and reach an unparalleled 400 games, while Slater may opt to retire.

While they are still to show their hand, losing all three in one go would be the worst case scenario for the club.

Bellamy said the duo hadn't given him any indication of their plans and he wasn't approaching the season like it would be their last.

After already losing halfback Cooper Cronk, who shifted to the Sydney Roosters this season, the Storm are hopeful at least two of the trio will be around for another season to guide the youth brigade.

Source: AAP
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Obviously keeping Bellamy is critical - I hope he still has the drive and energy to go again for 3 years.

It's really an exciting time and I hope that plays a part in keeping him around. He has just locked in most of our young guns for a decent length of time and has an opportunity to mould generation next into great players and even better people. It's hard to stay motivated when things are doom and gloom but it really is the opposite here - the future is so bright. Croft, Munster, Smith (and possibly Hughes) - the sky is the limit.

Bellamy's legacy is already quite amazing... Imagine what it would be overseeing a successful, full transition to the next playing group. A GF appearance once Smith and Slater are retired would just about cement him in history as the greatest coach of all time.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would like to see him go elsewhere and replicate his success and systems if only to shut up the Sydney centric asshole's claims that he's incapable of doing anything sans The Big 3.

Gold Coast or New Zealand would benefit from him the most but also Dragons if only for how delicious it would be for my Saints friends and family to get up in arms over it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:but also Dragons if only for how delicious it would be for my Saints friends and family to get up in arms over it.
All the b*tching and complaining about 'the wrestle' and how Bellamy invented it, destroying the game magically disappear by Round 4 :lol:

Sh*t coach only successful because of the players would suddenly become a god.

RL fans, particularly Sydney RL fans, are hilarious in their hypocrisy sometimes.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not looking forward to the next few years...im upset already and they (billy cam craig) haven't even left yet
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I always thought CB was a better coach when he was given time to develop players/processes/training regimes to Storm standard rather than having to create a program which would guarantee instant success. This means IMO, that if he went anywhere else, it would be at least a season or two before the club he was working with would have any degree of success. Instantly this would open him up to a barrage of criticism about the players made him and his coaching processes were irrelevant. An example of this could be his ill fated State of Origin coaching tenure ( that and he was facing a truly legendary QLD team.) Therefore IMO, his coaching legacy as one of the truly great coaches of the modern era seems that when he ends his stay at Storm, retire from coaching and always be a legend or take the incredible risk of going somewhere where he doesn't have the Storm stability in the main office and doesn't have the players that best take his processes on board.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote:I always thought CB was a better coach when he was given time to develop players/processes/training regimes to Storm standard rather than having to create a program which would guarantee instant success. This means IMO, that if he went anywhere else, it would be at least a season or two before the club he was working with would have any degree of success. Instantly this would open him up to a barrage of criticism about the players made him and his coaching processes were irrelevant. An example of this could be his ill fated State of Origin coaching tenure ( that and he was facing a truly legendary QLD team.) Therefore IMO, his coaching legacy as one of the truly great coaches of the modern era seems that when he ends his stay at Storm, retire from coaching and always be a legend or take the incredible risk of going somewhere where he doesn't have the Storm stability in the main office and doesn't have the players that best take his processes on board.
The whole "he did nothing at Origin level" claim is a joke.

By that logic Laurie Daley would be a supercoach.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. The "coaching" required at State and International level is vastly different from that at NRL level. It becomes much more focused on team cohesion, pride and gelling on the big stage.

As great as Mal was for QLD, does anyone honestly think he could step back in and successfully coach week to week in the NRL?

Anyone that argues Bellamy's coaching credentials are heavily tarnished by his SOO tenure, are either being intentionally disingenuous, or simply don't understand the game.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I vaguely recall when reading his book that Bellyache hinted that he would like another crack at coaching the Blues. I think he talked about understanding now (or when he was writing the book at least) that it's a different kettle of fish to the club scene.
I personally hope he retires from club coaching and works with one of the rep teams. He's given so much to the game (and our club) that he deserves to take it a easy for a while.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was listening to the Sydney "Grill Team" last night.

Sounds like both Bellyache and Felise Kaufusi are both about to re-sign with us in the next few weeks.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/ne ... h-the-club

Evidently Bellyache has split with his management company and that is why there is a little delay there.

Felise is pretty happy Patrick has come down to play for us. Very close family and I believe Felise is very happy at the Storm.

Great signature to lock up imo.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here's hoping that all gets done then.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just came across this article to share RE Craig's future at the club: https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/d-day ... amy/427492

To sum up the article: he still hasn't decided if he wants to go on again next year.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tough call and Bellyache may think he is too old to rebuild a side. The current cycle for the Melbourne Storm is almost up and if he enters the next cycle teaching young players it will be tough.

We saw how he reacted when Brodie Croft didn't go for the kick off after that penalty. He went for the longest walk ever.

That was the first time I ever thought Bellyache was second guessing coaching on.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disagree. We have some of the best young talent in the competition. That alone is motivation and a challenge.

Filling the void of Slater, Cronk and Smith was always going to be an impossible task - but we do have a brilliant base to work from. Then as Slater/Smith retire, money to chase established stars to add to our foundation. Just because Bellamy gets frustrated in a tight game, you are convinced he is going to give it away? Please... I've seen much bigger blow ups from Bellamy after we have scored a try.

Since 06, we haven't had a 'Premiership window'. The concept doesn't really apply. The wider team do what they need to do to ensure every year we are a credible chance at taking the Premiership out.

I think you are just trying to get a rise from people. Sad really.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

No rise. Facts are facts. Whatever the potential talent level; turning that into reality is something else. Bellamy needs to think if he is prepared to reteach the kids the Storm way. Coaching is all encompassing. To dedicate yourself to it; you almost have to shut yourself out to everything else. Does Bellyache want to do this as a new group comes through?