Bellamy soon to make Storm call

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

lima lima lima duck yeah!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We'll know when it is the end. This never felt like the end.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is the greatest day in the history of the Storm.

Craig is a master coach

perhaps the greatest of all time

our future is secured.

Cameron Munster will re-sign now

well done to our administration on this great day

To all you *lima lima lima ducks* out there

bless you all
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/bel ... 4zlwv.html

Melbourne has beaten Brisbane for the signature of Craig Bellamy, ending months of speculation about the supercoach’s future.

Bellamy will remain with the Storm for a further three years on a deal worth about $4.5 million. The decision ensures he will remain at the helm to oversee the transition to the next generation of stars as Billy Slater and Cameron Smith approach the end of their careers.

The Broncos had identified Bellamy as the man to replace Wayne Bennett, who was promised the chance to see out the end of his contract until the end of 2019. It would have been a case of the apprentice taking over from the master given Bellamy had learned his trade, in part, under the seven-time premiership winning clipboard holder.

However, Bellamy wasn’t keen on the prospect of sitting out next season, which he would have had to do in order to shift to Red Hill.

It is a timely boost for the Storm ahead of their clash against Newcastle. An official announcement is expected on Sunday.

The 58-year-old had been in protracted negotiations with Storm CEO David Donaghy, who was always hopeful of completing a deal, even after Brisbane’s interest became public.

The Broncos, having indicated Bennett is not their long-term preference, now have to look elsewhere for his successor. The Rabbitohs are aware of Brisbane’s interest and have fast-tracked negotiations to keep him in Redfern.

Siebold’s stocks are on the rise and he is an ideal fit for Brisbane. He is a Queenslander, has been part of the Maroons brains trust in recent years and represents the new generation of coaches rising through the ranks. He is in just his rookie season but his Rabbitohs team sits atop the premiership ladder, an incredible feat given Dane Gagai is the club’s only off-season recruit.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has long been considered Bennett’s successor, but is no certainty for the gig. He was an assistant to Bennett but quit earlier this season, citing a desire to focus solely on State of Origin. However, it’s understood he walked away over frustrations he was being sidelined by Bennett - unable to make a meaningful contribution to the team.

If Walters is snubbed it would be all the more shattering given he wants to coach at NRL level and dipped out of the running for the Titans gig in the belief he would eventually take over the Broncos.

Bellamy’s focus now will be to work on succession planning for his roster. Slater is tipped to retire at the end of the year while it’s unclear how long Smith will play on for.

Many of the NRL’s current coaches have learned their craft under Bellamy - including Brad Arthur, Michael Maguire and Stephen Kearney. His current assistant, Adam O’Brien, is considered another first grade coach in waiting.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't know who wrote that article but they nee a fact checker, Maguire no longer coaches in the NRL. Former assistant Seibold does though.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy re-signing with Storm is official. Just received email from Storm.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I bet our premiership odds will now shorten
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To state the obvious, wonderful news . We are so lucky to have Craig as coach, and his vote of confidence in the club is fantastic .
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... eovo157uox

The new three-year deal commits Bellyache to the Storm until 2021, which will be his 19th season with the club.

Ahead of his side's clash with the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, the 58-year-old revealed the reasoning behind his decision.

"It is (a relief), it's been going on for a while but there was a fair few things, footy-wise and family-wise that needed to be sorted out," Bellamy said.

"Everyone's glad the decision is made and everyone can move on. It was a really tough decision, there was a lot of things to think about, but it's a relief for everyone that it's done and dusted now.

"I wouldn't think there was one major factor (that got the deal over the line), there was a whole heap of things.

"The main thing would be that the Storm gave me my opportunity to coach in the NRL, and I feel a real bond with the players down there, probably more so the older players as well.

"In this career, I don't go looking for challenges, they happen every day. It will be a difficult time for the club when those guys (Billy Slater and Cameron Smith) go, they give the club such a big profile in a place that needs it (rugby league in Melbourne).
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... eovo157uox

The new three-year deal commits Bellyache to the Storm until 2021, which will be his 19th season with the club.

Ahead of his side's clash with the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, the 58-year-old revealed the reasoning behind his decision.

"It is (a relief), it's been going on for a while but there was a fair few things, footy-wise and family-wise that needed to be sorted out," Bellamy said.

"Everyone's glad the decision is made and everyone can move on. It was a really tough decision, there was a lot of things to think about, but it's a relief for everyone that it's done and dusted now.

"I wouldn't think there was one major factor (that got the deal over the line), there was a whole heap of things.

"The main thing would be that the Storm gave me my opportunity to coach in the NRL, and I feel a real bond with the players down there, probably more so the older players as well.

"In this career, I don't go looking for challenges, they happen every day. It will be a difficult time for the club when those guys (Billy Slater and Cameron Smith) go, they give the club such a big profile in a place that needs it (rugby league in Melbourne).
I'm all in Cameron. I reckon he'll stay at Storm. You heard it here first.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes