Vossy loves us

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/20/why ... -40-years/

Why the Storm are the NRL's most entertaining premiers in 40 years

AuthorAndrew Voss Fox League Commentator Timestamp Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:00 PM

Andrew Voss on the NRL's brilliant premiers as well as a teenage England star on the rise and a dream for the rugby league world.

It's time for a Tuesday league feast folks. The BBQ is smoking… Let's talk a little footy.

Awesome Storm

I have covered rugby league in the media for the last 30 years, and followed the sport since the early '70s.

I love the sport. I am a student of the game's history and, as a result, feel qualified to make the following statement.

The Melbourne Storm of 2017 were one of the best club sides I have been privileged to watch. And based on their terrific performance in the World Club Challenge, the remodeled 2018 version is going to be just as much fun to see play.

Will they be able to match the degree of excellence of their premiership-winning season is something that remains to be seen. But they have a host of players who are better for the experience of last year. There was evidence of that against Leeds through the likes of Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Felise Kaufusi and Suliasi Vunivalu.

Brodie Croft is obviously a very special talent. There's the precocious Cameron Munster. The sizzling Josh Addo-Carr. And of course a host of senior players at the peak of their powers.

Melbourne Storm 38-4 Leeds Rhinos

But back to my original point, and I don't necessarily base it just on their superb win/loss record of the last 12 months.

I simply love watching the Storm play. There is no other team I want to see more. In 2017, in my opinion, they were better to watch than in any of the many successful previous seasons in the club's history.

And when I then try and compare them on that entertainment level to the various premiers of the last 30 years; I might find the equivalent, but can't think of one better.

I loved the Wests Tigers' playing style in their 2005 charge to the title. The Penrith Panthers of 2003 with stars such as Rhys Wesser and Preston Campbell doing their thing were brilliant to see play. The Canberra Raiders team of the early 1990s is one I would say was the equivalent. Belcher, Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Walters… wow, what a team.

And then to go back through the '80s and '70s, comparisons become harder because the game has changed dramatically since then. Yes I was enthralled by some of the great Parramatta Eels and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs sides, but I don't have them as better to watch than the modern-day Storm.

From their chairman down to the CEO, coach, and captain… this is a great footy club.

Long may they reign.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Remember a few years ago when they all called us the most boring team ever to watch. Those were the days
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NevilleB there are still plenty of people in NSW (ie the brainwashed brigade) that think we only win because we wrestle. Not sure how we score 30+ points by wrestling.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote:NevilleB there are still plenty of people in NSW (ie the brainwashed brigade) that think we only win because we wrestle. Not sure how we score 30+ points by wrestling.
I know people who will argue til the sun goes down that the Storm are the most boring thing to watch and all they do is wrestle but at the same time admit that they don’t watch the Storm play. Some people just wanna hate for the hell of it
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Vossy is about 12 months behind but that is okay.

Some people, especially in Sydney, are even further behind.

We re-invented ourselves 12 months ago to be more attack and try scoring focused.

With Josh Addo-Carr and Suliasi Vunivalu scoring tries from over half way or making spectacular dives in the corner; we are now the Harlem Globetrotters of Rugby league.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Vossy is giving a call to arms to all supporters to watch the Storm and kinda make them your second team because they are so "special" and fun to watch.

Just like in the 70s and 80s, in Gridiron, the Dallas Cowboys were dubbed America's team.

Vossy is saying that the Melbourne Storm are now kinda like Australia's team.

Everyone should watch them just because they are so much fun and play the game at such a high level - the way it should be played!!!

the Melbourne Storm - Australia's Team.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I quite like Vossy. Always have.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I reckon the Melbourne Storm should create their own TV channel on Foxtel.

Just dedicated to Melbourne Storm news.

I am tired of everything going through the Sydney media mafia and our names being dragged through the mud - all the time

Vossy gets us

Vossy is us

We hire Vossy to head the Melbourne Storm foxtel channel

24 hour Storm

Vossy calls all our games

Vossy does an hour and a half show every night from 7 - 8 30 pm and interviews and gets in Storm players past and present to talk Storm..

Sort of a Melbourne Storm news and variety hour.

Then we get Robbie Kearns to do an hour show from 8.30 - 9 .30 telling us what is going on behind the scenes and in the corporate area and say special days and how they went; interviewing people etc.

Also get some of the ladies on the show - Billys missus and maybe even Barb.

Have the Barb half hour where Barb talks to all the wives and the new players etc.

But the mainstay is Vossy.

He would virtually run the channel with his insightfulness and warmness and love for the Storm.

After all; we are the Best Team in the World atm. People around the world love us. We are up there with the New England Patriots and Barcelona as the most successful teams of the new millennium.

Surely we deserve our own TV channel on Foxtel.

I reckon it could work!

Vossy could make it work.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Doesn't the club do videos on their website and social media? I'm not really on social media so wouldn't know but I vaguely recall that they post interviews with players and similar tidbits on their website.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes, they do a great job there. No doubt.

But I want to take it a step further for blokes like yourself who don't do social media.

We are World Champions and our ambition should be World Domination.

If we get a channel on Foxtel; it can then be shown all around the world.

My brother rang me and evidently the AFLX could be seen in Romania because it was in the Murdoch system.

That is how we have to think.

If stupid old AFLX is being shown in Romania then the Worlds Greatest Rugby League Club should be 24/7 in Romania.

The only way this can happen is if we create our own Foxtel channel.

Then the Murdoch system can beam us out to the World.

We then get GLOBAL exposure.

And that is not even mentioning the huge United States market.

Then the offshoot if the whole world being a Melbourne Storm fan is the huge increases in merchandising and the like.

Vossy is quite right

We are the best thing to watch in the whole of the WORLD OF SPORT

we need to get our product our to EVERYBODY

anyone in the world who sees us will be enchanted and mesmerised by us

we are captivating; we are hypnotising, we are seductive, we are the best thing on tv sport in the world atm bar maybe Manchester City.

anyone who watches us will fall in love with us

just like Old Mate Vossy
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like most media personalities, Andrew Voss' opinion is flexible and the stories he writes can vary considerably.

It wasn't that long ago he was a vocal critic.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think that was the whole Sydney Media mafia and Vossy was just towng the line

this love of Storm is about a decade too late.

but finally Vossy is leading the charge.

I believe in Vossy

he has seen the light

and it is not only Vossy but Micheal Ennis as well

I hated Ennis as a player but I reckon he is an aboslutely fantastic commentator.

same as Blocker Roach.

He is a good commentator as well as long as it isn't Tigers games.

all over Sydney; these intelligent blokes who know footy are starting to sell the Melbourne Storm gospel.

the whole outlook of the educated and intelligent Sydney media (there aren't many of them but there are a few) is "yep, Storm are good for the game!"

We should have been getting this type of praise way back in 2007 but we were hated for who we were

we were NOT SYDNEY

but now the commentators are slowly getting more nuanced in their opinions

and Old Mate Vossy is leading the way.

Good on Ya Vossy.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rugby League has taken its first tentative steps to go Global as per the below.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/media-cent ... 4bc657b20d

the Storm should jump aboard with Vossy and launch Global too.

this is the future.

we need to become omnipresent if we are going to stay one step ahead of the goons.

we are competing with the American basketball, the English soccer, the All Blacks etc as the biggest selling brands in the world.

we need to be on the front foot here.

Vossy can lead the charge

he is compelling and engaging as the is a fan first as well as a rugby league historian and fantastic wordsmith and would represent the Storm on the world stage very well...

especially when we take our first tentative steps.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A channel might be a step too far at first - although long term that's a good goal, but a show for each club each week should be on Foxtel as is.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bingo, it has got me blowed.

As someone mentioned, we have almost got enough from our website to do a show.

Look at that program "Inside the Wolf Pack" about the Toronto team

they are a group of rank B grade nupties but with a good producer and a good directorr and a good voice over man and a good film editor their show makes for fantastic viewing

now multiply the drama by a billion and you have got our Storm.

Surely a weekly program on the life and times of the Melbourne Storm would be amazing.

Look at all we have gone through in the last 12 months; the highs and lows...Even Sandor...even Billys comeback...

Premierships; World Cups, World Club champions....it goes on.

Better than Married at first sight and I'm a Celebrity get me out of here put together.

I don't know if any of you get ESPN but it could be done like one of those 30 for 30 shows which is brilliant.

Everything..

and get Vossy to host it.

He is a champion "born again" Storm believer..

and he could preach the Storm gospel.