Round 1 predicted line ups

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We're almost into 2018 so here's my round one line up:

1.Slater
2.Vunivalu
3.Chambers
4.Scott
5.Addo-Carr
6.Munster
7.Croft
8.J.Bromwich
9.Cam Smith
10.Glasby
11.F.Kaufusi
12.Stimson
13.Finucane
14.B.Smith
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Kasiano
17.K.Bromwich

Reserves
18.Welch
19.Hoffman
20.Blair
21.P.Kaufusi
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/30/mel ... 1-line-up/

NRL.com expert Jamie Soward says:

"This could be the year we finally see someone go back-to-back. Everyone will talk about the change from Cooper Cronk to Brodie Croft but you've still got Cameron Smith and Billy Slater, around them guys like Will Chambers and Ryan Hoffman coming back, and they pick up a guy like Sam Kasiano. There's no real weakness in this side.

"The only change from week to week is around the bench if someone's not performing. Croft will obviously have questions asked of his early on in the year but from everything we've seen of him he's a Cooper Cronk clone. Melbourne are looking formidable heading into the 2018 season.

"This year they handled the Origin period really well – can they handle that again? I know Slater isn't playing but these young guys will be playing a full season this time, not just coming in for three or four games."

NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:

1 Billy Slater, 2 Suliasi Vunivalu, 3 Curtis Scott, 4 Will Chambers, 5 Josh Addo-Carr, 6 Cameron Munster, 7 Brodie Croft, 8 Jesse Bromwich, 9 Cameron Smith, 10 Tim Glasby, 11 Ryan Hoffman, 12 Felise Kaufusi, 13 Dale Finucane.

Interchange: 14 Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 15 Kenny Bromwich, 16 Sam Kasiano, 17 Christian Welch.

Reserves: 18 Joe Stimson, 19 Patrick Kaufusi, 20 Cheyse Blair, 21 Tui Kamikamica.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1. B. Slater
2. S. Vunivalu
3. W. Chambers
4. C. Scott
5. J. Addo-Carr
6. C. Munster
7. B. Croft
8. J. Bromwich
9. C. Smith
10. S. Kasiano
11. R. Hoffman
12. F. Kaufusi
13. D. Finucane

14. N. Asofa-Solomona
15. K. Bromwich
16. T. Glasby
17. J. Stimson

18. B. Smith
19. P. Kaufusi
20. C. Blair
21. R. Jacks

Not necessarily the team I would go with but the team I think Bellamy will go with, baring injuries of course. Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see him include either B. Smith or R. Jacks on the bench just to keep a little bit of pressure off of Croft.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

How do you guys reckon Patrick Kaufusi will go next year? Could he be as good as Felise?

I think Joe Stimson could be the big improver next year.

After he scored the game-winning try in the Storm's 16-13 win over the Sydney Roosters with three minutes to play, I have high hopes for him.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon he'll be thereabouts
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Are we thinking B Smith might get in at dummy half a bit while he's on? Would give Cam a bit more freedom to help out in the halves and do some organising off the ball. I know we experimented with Cam at 6 years ago and it didn't work out but I think this would be different because we wouldn't be relying on him heavily as a half and he could just jump back into the hooking role as needed.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Pat will be huge for us... Probably too good to miss out.

The team I personally hope runs out Round 1:
1. Slater
2. Vunivalu
3. Chambers
4. Scott/Blair
5. Addo-Carr
6. Munster
7. Croft
8. J Bromwich
9. C Smith
10. Kasiano
11. F.Kaufusi
12. Stimson
13. Finucane

14. B.Smith
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Glasby
17. P.Kaufusi

18. Welch
19. K.Bromwich
20. Hoffman

In all likelihood though, Kenny will probably retain a bench spot at the expense of P Kaufusi or B Smith. That will also ensure Stimson has some coverage (from an edge backrow perspective) should he not be capable of an 80 minute transition as Felise was. Welch may even get a bench spot ahead of both as well. So bench may end up being;

14. K Bromwich
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Glasby
17. Welch

I just think the bench looks stronger with Brandon and Pat on it. Particularly Brandon.

Curtis Scott will likely keep his centre position as well after the GF win. I do prefer Cheese's defence though...
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Stimson, Hoffman, Patrick and Kenny..

Pick 2 of those 4 players. The other two will get their chances through injury a suppose.

How they handle Cheyse Blair this year will be interesting.

Before the injury; he was overall No 1 centre over Curtis by some way.

But Curtis brings a bit of "X" factor.

Cheyse will probably be first back up for centre and wingers.

How do you see the line up if Brandon Smith is no the field with Cameron Smith? They never really tried it last year. Does Brandon become a backrower? or does Cameron become a half back?

Will be very interesting when Brandon and Cameron are both on the field together.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would think it would be a little bit different to how we have done things in the past (i.e. Hinchcliffe).

I would think Brandon spends some time at DH - quick, strong legs taking darting runs.
Cam spends some time at first/second receiver. Organisation, support to two young halves, take the pressure off Croft in tight situations, help with kicking game until Munster can develop this area of his game.

I would probably try and time it that Brandon runs on at the same time as Kasiano's second stint (assuming he starts). Sam can get quick PTBs and Brandon can jump off the back of them.

It would leave us one true running forward short on the field so we would have to be getting a good return from the runs Brandon takes during his time on the field.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Agree. last 10 minutes of the half when oppositions are tired; Brandon can jump out of DH and make some easy metres for us. Especially on the back of some big bodies taking the ball up like Kasiano. Linking up with either Munster, GoldenBoot, our stud wingers and/or BillySuperman on broken players through back-peddling tired defences.

Not sure how good Brandon's defensive work is though? This is an area he must improve on.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure if we can get both Smith and Stimson in the same 17 unfortunately.

I had this weird thought the other day that Hughes will start the season at halfback.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hughes will play plenty of footy this year.

Part of Bellamy's assignment this year is to make sure all the new young enthusiastic players get plenty of game time without losing.

Everything is a balancing act.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can see Hughes getting a game off the bench at some point if injuries don't get him into the team.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I reckon both Stimson and B Smith will be in the lineup.

Same structure as in the GF:

Stimson direct swap for Harris
B Smith for Griffin
Croft for Cronk
Kasiano for McLean

I think Craig might pick Hoffy ahead of Kenny for the last bench spot. I would be ok with that.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Slater
2. Vunivalu
3. Chambers
4. Scott
5. Addo-Carr
6. Munster
7. Croft
8. J.Bromwich
9. C.Smith