Team of 20 Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Afterall it is his website. :)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Two weeks until the team is announced.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone going to the dinner?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ticket prices;

Foundation members - $195.00
Melbourne Storm Members - $225.00
Non-Members - $275.00
Table of 10 - $2,500.00

Be there for the official Melbourne Storm 20 Year celebration, as we honour an important milestone in the Club's history. Join players past and present as we unveil the Team of 20 Years, marking the start of an exciting year ahead at Melbourne Storm.
Enjoy a first-class experience at Crown Palladium, including live entertainment, three-course meal and premium beverage package. Amidst a sea of Storm legends, it's an event not be missed!

Head Coach Craig Bellamy, Football Director Frank Ponissi, CEO Dave Donaghy as well as inaugural CEO John Ribot and rugby league greats Greg Brentnall and Roy Masters head up the panel charged with the task of selecting the side.

Night Includes;
- 20 Year Team presentation
- Hear from players past and present
- Three course meal
- Premium beverage package
- Live entertainment
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All things considered, that pricing is very reasonable.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The pricing sits about where it needs to be. I work in the sports industry... and I was shocked when I found out how little money is made from the actual ticketing of these types of events!

I've only got myself and my girlfriend coming, but I'm sure whatever table I get put on will be full of great people (after all, they're Storm fans!)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just realised Bellamy is picking the team and nominated as coach
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Just realised Bellamy is picking the team and nominated as coach
Yeah true. But he is “nominated” in the same way Smithy is “nominated” :lol:
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The 'unlucky' 17 - players who were not nominated:

1. Matt Duffie
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Steven Bell
4. Aaron Moule
5. Marika Koroibete
6. Blake Green
7. Brett Finch
8. Jordan McLean
9. Nathan Friend
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Adam Blair
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Matt Rua
14. Tim Glasby
15. Ben Roarty
16. Tony Martin
17. Sika Manu

The real surprises for me are that Bell, Waqa, Norrie, Blair and Rua did not even get a nomination. Especially Bell and Blair. Surely they are worth a nomination if not a spot in the team, in fact, I'm sure Blair would have been one we all considered a real chance for a bench spot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Regarding the nominations...

Fullback - All notable FBs were nominated. A tip of the hat to Munster and even more so, Ross.
Wing - Yeah, Waqa unfortunate to not get nominated, especially after going close to the CCM in 2012. Quinn could also be a bit miffed at not getting at least a mention over Vunivalu.
Centre - I'd have both Bell and Moule nominated at Centre ahead of Folau. Folou already has nomination on the wing and he was obviously most effective there. I can't see Folau making the team at all though to be honest.
Halfback - All notable HBs nominated. Interestingly, after Cronk/Ox/Noddy, Brodie Croft is our next most capped career Halfback with 5 caps :lol:
5/8 - If they were going to have three nominees for the 5/8 award, I would have preferred Finchy to have got a nomination rather than Inglis (who should be centre). Yes I know he got a CCM here.
Prop - Happy with those nominated. You may argue for Noz ahead of Lima... I just don't think it is a good argument at all :)
Hooker - All notable Hookers were nominated.
Second Row - I would have had Rua instead of Crocker but meh. That Stewart shot gets him a shout out :lol:
Lock - All notable Locks were nominated.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Loving that the club is broadcasting on Facebook Live. Very much appreciated!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... year-team/

Storm announce 20 Year Team
melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 2 Mar 2018, 10:14 PM

Melbourne Storm have announced their team of the 20 years during a celebratory night at Crown Palladium on Friday.

The 17-man line-up is made up of the greatest players to have pulled on the purple jersey over the last two decades.

A total of five players from Storm’s inaugural 1998 season were selected in the side; Marcus Bai (wing), Glenn Lazarus (prop), while Matt Geyer, Tawera Nikau and Robbie Kearns earned bench positions.

The team also includes six players from the Club’s current 2018 squad. Cameron Smith (hooker) was named captain of the 20-year team that also includes fellow teammates Billy Slater (fullback), William Chambers (centre), Suliasi Vunivalu (wing), Jesse Bromwich (prop) and Ryan Hoffman (second row).

Former captain Stephen Kearney was selected alongside Hoffman in the second row while cult hero Matt King was named in the other centre position.

A superstar halves pairing comprises of multiple Premiership-winning playmakers Greg Inglis and Cooper Cronk.

Tireless Hard man Dallas Johnson claimed the lock position while enforcer Michael Crocker earned the other bench spot.

A six-person selection committee was formed to select the team, comprising of Storm head coach Craig Bellamy, CEO Dave Donaghy, Football Director Frank Ponissi, Club founder and inaugural CEO John Ribot, inaugural assistant coach and later development manager Greg Brentnall as well as legendary coach esteemed Fairfax media collumist Roy Masters.

The committee used four key criteria to select the line-up:

- On and off field
- Legacy that was left at the Club
- Success/Premierships
- Accomplishments in a Storm jersey
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Billy Slater

299 Storm games (2003-present)
183 tries
2007, 2009, 2012, 2017 Grand Final winner

Slater came to Melbourne as the gangly teenager that grew into arguably the greatest fullback rugby league has ever seen. The boy from Innisfail made his debut on the wing, announcing himself to the NRL world in that game in Round 1, 2003 with a long range try against the Sharks. Slater scored eight tries in his first 10 games playing predominantly at centre. By Round 9 of that year he was given the purple No.1 jersey and has held it ever since. The superstar holds the record for most tries in NRL Finals history and the second most all-time. His decorated career has seen him become a two-time Clive Churchill medallist, three-time Dally M Fullback of the Year as well as a Golden Boot and Dally M Player of the Year winner. The 34-year-old has undergone his fair share of adversity in recent years, with shoulder injuries in 2015 and 2016 leading many to questions whether Slater would ever return back to his best. It is fair to say that he answered that question emphatically when he returned last year to help guide his side to Premiership glory once again.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

2. Marcus Bai

144 Storm games (1998-2003)
70 tries
1999 Grand Final winner

You know you have earned the status of Club legend when they name a stand at Olympic Park after you. The ‘Marcus Bai’ Stand was a tribute to the Club’s original try-scoring machine and fan favourite. The sight of him running down the right touchline of Olympic Park as the purple army rose as one is a memory fond enough to make the hair stand up on the back of the neck of every Storm fan. Bai was an instrumental cult figure who helped put Storm on the map in Melbourne during those formative years – his raw power was simply unstoppable. He left his nine siblings back home in PNG to pursue his dreams of a rugby league career. Based on his six incredible seasons with Storm it is fair to say he accomplished that goal. A player who could single handily lift teammates and fans alike, Bai was a once in a generation winger.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

3. Will Chambers

172 Storm games (2007-09, 2012-2017)
72 tries
2009, 2012 and 2017 Grand Final winner

It is hard to remember a Storm side without Will Chambers in it. It feels as though the boy from the Northern Territory has grown up in front of our eyes to now stand as the Australian and Queensland No.3. At the top of his game Chambers can stake a legitimate claim to being the best defensive centre in the NRL. The 29-year-old is a proven big-game player, having been among Storm’s best in the Club’s last two NRL Grand Final appearances. Chambers has also helped Storm to incredible success, being a key part in three Grand Final-winning teams.