Team of 20 Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So it's been announced that a best team will be named as part of our 20 year celebration next year. I don't know what the criteria for selection will be but I thought it would be fun to discuss the various positions and pick a team. I will begin with fullback.

Candidates:

Robbie Ross (1998-2003) - Ross was a star for us in our early days, scoring 20 tries in 1999, winning a premiership the same year and a world club challenge the next and also gaining selection for NSW and Australia.

Billy Slater (2003- ) - He's done it all really, two time player of the year, six? time leading tryscorer, four premierships, two Clive Churchill Medals, a Dally M, a Golden Boot, 2nd highest tryscorer of all time, Qld and Australian selection.

Cameron Munster (2014 - ) - The only other player who qualifies as a regular fullback by virtue of Slater's two seasons of injuries. Munster has nonetheless achieved a bit in his time at the club with a premiership and selection for both Qld and Australia.

The verdict:

Were it not for Slater, Ross would probably be an almost unanimous choice for such a team, but, Billy Slater has been one of the greatest players in his position of all time and so gets the nod as fullback. Ross is unlucky though, at most other clubs after 20 years, a premiership winning rep fullback would be in the discussion.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ross was brilliant at his peak but lacked longevity due to injuries. But even if he had never missed a game he was always going to be second to the guy who is probably the best full back not only of our club and not only of the last 20 years, but ever.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, obviously a few of the positions will be no-brainers... but it is good to reminisce about some of the other guys. Robbie Ross' hit on Adrian Lam still enters my mind occasionally and brings a smile to my face.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yes, a second xvii might be interesting to pick too though.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater clearly but boy Robbie Ross could play. Mattpoet agreed that a second XVII would be interesting to. So Slater at number 1 in the first team and Ross at number 1 in the second team.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote:Slater clearly but boy Robbie Ross could play. Mattpoet agreed that a second XVII would be interesting to. So Slater at number 1 in the first team and Ross at number 1 in the second team.
My word he could play. A huge favourite in the early days - hence my adoption of his name for this forum !
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

has to be Billy
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote:has to be Billy
Thanks
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote:Yes, a second xvii might be interesting to pick too though.
Absolutely. I think this is a great thought
So:
Storm 20 years Fullback - Billy Slater
Storm A Fullback - Robbie Ross.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

RobbieRoss wrote:
Scooter wrote:Slater clearly but boy Robbie Ross could play. Mattpoet agreed that a second XVII would be interesting to. So Slater at number 1 in the first team and Ross at number 1 in the second team.
My word he could play. A huge favourite in the early days - hence my adoption of his name for this forum !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-Qc0niB2s
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we're agreed on fullbacks. What position should be next?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wing. Go in order. Wing should at least have a few more legitimate options. Will likely have people thinking about where certain players will end up in the team if they have played decent stints in multiple positions.

Storm 20 Year - 2x Wing
Storm A - 2x Wing
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Marcus Bai is a lock.

Steve Turner

And the two current ones who are on world record pace to both score 200 tries.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Slater
2. Vunivalu (Geyer was a great clubman to be sure... but Suli is the best Storm winger since MArcus Bai).
3. Chambers
4. King
5. Bai
6. Hill
7. Cronk
8. Lazarus
9. C. Smith
10. J. Bromwhich
11. Stephen KEarney
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Tawera Nikau
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ok, candidates for the wings are (sorry, not time to do more than list them at the moment):

Bai
Duffie
Folau
Fonua
Geyer
Koroibete
O'Neill
Quinn
Turner
Vunivalu
Waqa

I tend towards Bai and a choice between Vunivalu, Waqa and Geyer.