Team of 20 Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This 20 year team has some flaws, especially the absence of Scott Hill.

Review of each player:
1. Billy Slater (It's Billy Slater... enough said)
2. Marcus Bai (No brainer he had to be on the wing, but why he was named in the number 2 jersey was weird)
3. Will Chambers (has probably been the best centre the Storm has seen so he definitely deserved a spot)
4. Matt King (I was surprised by this, great player but more sentimental selection. I would have had GI here rather than at five eighth)
5. Suliasi Vunivalu (also a surprise selection as he has not even played 50 games yet, but I guess his tries to games ratio is astounding, why is he in the 5 jersey though, when he always wears number 2 and Marcus always wore number 5)
6. Greg Inglis (This is the biggest call of the team, to leave out Scott Hill, probably one of the greatest ball players the club has had, who owned the 6 jersey for 8 of 9 years from 1998-2006 [exception being 2000 when he played lock]. I think this is a very wrong decision. GI was only five eighth for two years [yes he won a churchill playing there, but that's only one game of over 500 the club has played]. GI always deserved a spot in the team as he was one of our greatest players, just he should have been wearing the number 4 jersey. I guess they wanted to fit Matt King in somewhere, whereas I probably would have left Kingy out)
7. Cooper Cronk (It's Cooper Cronk... enough said)
8. Jesse Bromwich (Arguably our best ever prop, well deserved selection)
9. Cameron Smith (C) (It's Cameron Smith... enough said)
10. Glenn Lazarus (Surprising that a player who only played 44 games in 2 years can still get a spot in the starting line-up, I would have had him on the bench but he was our founding captain and was instrumental in our late 90s success, so it's understandable he made the team)
11. Stephen Kearney (Probably the greatest recruit from another club we ever receieved (not counting 1998 foundation players) when he came from the Warriors for the start of 1999, always deserved a starting second row spot and was a great captain for the club in the early Bellyache years 2003-04)
12. Ryan Hoffman (Our greatest second rower, without a doubt. His longevity and the fact he has had three stints at the club is remarkable)
13. Dallas Johnson (Probably the toughest hardest player the Storm has ever had. Tiny tackling machine who could smash the biggest players. Deserved a spot here, however it was an each way bet that this spot could have gone to Nikau and DJ went to the bench)

14. Matt Geyer (If it weren't for Vunivalu, Geyer would have been a no brainer for the other wing spot. However, he was our most versatile player we've ever had, he played in every position in the backs and even played hooker later on. After only being a bit part fringe player in 1998, he got his big start in 1999 and was a constant in the team for the next 10 years. He rarely missed a game and was the heart and soul of the club and last remaining 1998 foundation player)
15. Tawera Nikau (Always deserved a spot in the team, he like Lazzo was instrumental in our late 90s success. Probably only reason on the bench is due to DJ being at the club longer)
16. Robbie Kearns (One of our greatest props, no brainer he had to be somewhere. Captained the club, and was a driving force in the front row and a true clubman)
17. Michael Crocker (One of the greatest recruits from another club we have ever had, however I probably would have chosen David Kidwell here as he was a more constant figure in the team. Crocker only played 44 games and spent a lot of time off the field due to suspension and injury)

Coach - Craig Bellamy (for a bit of a joke... imagine them choosing Muppet Murray over Bellyache :lol: )
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Crocker, Suli and King selections surprised me too. Harris very unlucky. Are we shitty at him for leaving? Thought Hinchy would have got a gig too. Hill penalised for what, missing the 99 GF like that was his fault?!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At the end of the day, you can see Bellamy's hand in the selections which is absolutely fair enough as he is the most qualified person to select this team but Crocker was a favourite of his and that probably got him across the line if it came to a choice. Not knocking it, just saying there had to be a tiebreaker and that was most likely it.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote:Crocker, Suli and King selections surprised me too. Harris very unlucky. Are we shitty at him for leaving? Thought Hinchy would have got a gig too. Hill penalised for what, missing the 99 GF like that was his fault?!
I just think it's a joke they don't take this seriously. Scott Hill was by far and away our best number 6. This shouldn't be just about grand final success (5 games out of 532 including world club challenges). Robbie Kearns also missed 99 GF with injury but made the team however. It should be consistency over period of time and skill and ability. Not sentimentality and purely grand final success. Even David Kidwell should have snagged the final bench spot.

This would have been my team:
1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Will Chambers
4. Greg Inglis
5. Marcus Bai
6. Scott Hill
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Robbie Kearns
11. Stephen Kearney
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Tawera Nikau
16. Glenn Lazarus
17. David Kidwell
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Love it Mattstormy.

I’d have Nikau at 13.
Tohu and Finucane on the bench over Kidwell and DJ.

King, DJ and Crocker were always Bellamy favourites. And that’s fine.

Hill’s omission was most surprising. Geyer riding the pine for Vunivalu cuts me a little bit. Obviously Vunivalu has far greater natural footy ability but Geyer should still be in front based on the criteria.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I have no real problem with the Crocker selection. While yes he didn’t play a lot of games, he had a lot of success in the Storm jersey. He hardly lost a game while playing for Melbourne. Hill should of definitely of been in the side as well
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I said to my wife that I couldn't believe Hill wasn't five eighth. She said but you didn't like Hill. I said I wasn't his biggest fan but he was clearly our best five eighth.

I love DJ so happy for him to be at lock. Would have liked to see Hinchy on the bench. Geyer should have been wing ahead of Suli. Though when we do 25 year team if Suli continues his form he would leapfrog Geyer.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes, it is a big hill to climb for the selection panel (Bellyache) if Hill is not 5/8th

He was 5/8th for the Aussies and easily the most talented.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder if titles beyond premierships were considered e.g minor premierships, world club challenges, club championship, nyc premiership.

With that in mind we have:
1.Slater - 4 prem, 6 min prem, 3 wcc, 1 cc (14)
2.Bai - 1 prem, 1 wcc (2)
3.Chambers - 3 prem, 4 min prem, 2 wcc (9)
4.King - 1 prem, 2 min prem (3)
5.Vunivalu - 1 prem, 2 min prem (3)
6.Inglis - 2 prem, 3 min prem, 1 wcc (6)
7.Cronk - 4 prem, 6 min prem, 2 wcc, 1 cc (13)
8.Bromwich - 2 prem, 3 min prem, 3 wcc, 1 cc, 1 nyv (10)
9.Smith - 4 prem, 6 min prem, 3 wcc, 1 cc (14)
10.Lazarus - 1 prem (1)
11.Kearney - 1 prem, 1 wcc (2)
12.Hoffman - 3 prem, 3 min prem, 2 wcc (8)
13.Johnson - 2 prem, 3 min prem (5)
14.Geyer - 2 prem, 3 min prem (5)
15.Nikau - 1 prem (1)
16.Kearns - 1 wcc (1)
17.Crocker - 1 prem, 3 min prem (4)

33 premiership wins
44 minor premiership wins
20 world club championship wins
5 players there in 2011 for our club championship
1 nyc premiership

103 total titles
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:
Mattpoet wrote:Who got voted as fan favourite player?
Mattpoet some guy called Cameron. (And his surname was not Munster).
Is he any good? Must be new haha.

Thanks Scooter.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-me ... 43c4a1fb2b

Melbourne Storm 20-year team named, Suliasi Vunivalu already makes the cut

MELBOURNE Storm have marked the club’s 20-year anniversary by naming an all-time team of its finest players - including beloved grand final heroes and a young flyer who is yet to crack 50 NRL games.

SIX current players - plus Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis - and six members of the 1999 premiership side have been named in Melbourne Storm’s 20-year team.

Announced at a celebration night at Crown Palladium on Friday, the team honoured 2018 squad members Billy Slater, Will Chambers, Suliasi Vunivalu, Jesse Bromwich, Cameron Smith and Ryan Hoffman. Vunivalu, 22, has played just 47 games, though is already a premiership winner with 46 NRL tries to his credit.

Marcus Bai, Glenn Lazarus, Matt Geyer, Tawera Nikau and Robbie Kearns were also named, having played in the club’s inaugural 1998 team and the maiden premiership side of the following season. Former captain Stephen Kearney made the line-up, having played in the 1999 GF victory over the Dragons.

Old favourites Matt King, Dallas Johnson and Michael Crocker also made the cut.

Grand final-winning halfback Brett Kimmorley could be considered an unlucky omission, though the starting No.7 was rightly filled by Cronk. Israel Folau was another big name left out.

The team was picked by a six-man panel comprised of Storm coach Craig Bellamy, chief executive Dave Donaghy, football director Frank Ponissi, club founder and inaugural CEO John Ribot, inaugural assistant coach Greg Brentnall and former coach turned Fairfax media columnist Roy Masters.

The criteria for selections was contributions on and off the field, legacy at the club, success/premierships and accomplishments in a Storm jersey.

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Cronk there I'm surprised Smith didn't make up another family holiday excuse to not show up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hahaha. I was watching the Live Facebook stream throughout the night (great idea by the way) and was looking for any interaction between the two. Didn't see any though...

Did anyone on here get to the dinner?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Seriously Mate; I think that is sooooooooo harsh on Cameron Smith.

How much time did he have to take a family excursion last year?

About 6 weeks; that is all.

After the World Cup and before early training due to the World Club Challenge.

Cooper too; only had about 6 weeks to get married and have a honeymoon which by any stretch of imagination was probably also rushed (due perhaps to Tara’s pregnancy) and therefore Cameron probably already had booked his family holiday.

There is no conspiracy here. Just a lack of time due to their joint projects during the year.
Last edited by Cameron on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/05/sto ... f-success/

Storm legends reflect on 20 years of success
Andrew Marmont
Mon 5 Mar 2018

"We all came up here as nobodies," Marcus Bai remembers.

"Looking back, with AFL in Melbourne, it was going to be hard. We know we had to work hard – and just to make it to the 25- or 21-man squad was really something."

As the Storm reflected on 20 years of consistent success it begs the question: why has the club been so successful after such humble beginnings?

1999 premiership-winning captain Glenn Lazarus says it's the Storm's constant improvement and knack for choosing wisely in key positions.

"They've had the right people in the club for 20 years," he told NRL.com.

"I think (John) Ribot and (Chris) Johnsy, (coach) Chris Anderson and the players were just committed to the place. To win a grand final, the first one in our second year, was a pretty big feat. The club's continued to rise and grow and is the envy of the NRL. They keep improving because you have to, and they continue to do so with the people they bring into the place.

"I think their fans have played a big part here too. Particularly early, we struggled to get any notoriety or recognition in Melbourne, and we had a really strong core base of fans that stuck with us. They go to know us and respect us, and see what we were all about, and continue to do that today. It's a good feeling to know what we started 20 years ago is just getting better."

Tawera Nikau, who was part of the 1999 side and named on the Storm's 20-year team bench, spoke about the organisation's culture.

"I think one of the key things is they've got a great culture on and off the field. They've got a strong history, in terms of the old boys. I'm just very privileged to be part of it."

Storm's current players dominate 20-year team

Can the Storm of 2018 win back-to-back titles?

"Yeah I think so," said Lazarus.

"It's very difficult as you've got the target on the back, and you're the benchmark. The issue will be whether they have the hunger and passion as last year.

"One of the things Melbourne are is very consistent. They'll be in the top four and on their day could quite easily win it."

Nikau has faith in the emerging talent to do a good job.

"All the teams are competitive, but I know Craig Bellamy and the boys will be striving to do their best every week," he said.

"I don't know they would be talking too much about that. They've obviously lost some quality players, but that's the nature of the game. They've got some outstanding young talent."