With Cronk and Harris and McLean gone, we must be heaps under our salary cap

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

MELBOURNE STORM

Melbourne Storm 2018 Gains: Ryan Hoffman (New Zealand Warriors, 2018), Sam Kasiano (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2020), Patrick Kaufusi (North Queensland Cowboys, 2019), Ryan Papenhuyzen (Wests Tigers, 2020)
2018 Losses: Jesse Arthars (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Dean Britt (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Charlie Galo (released), Slade Griffin (Newcastle Knights), Tohu Harris (New Zealand Warriors), Jeremy Hawkins (released), Jordan McLean (North Queensland Cowboys), Mark Nicholls (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Robbie Rochow (Wests Tigers), Jake Turpin (released)
Re-Signed: Josh Addo-Carr (2021), Nelson Asofa-Solomona (2019), Cheyse Blair (2020), Jesse Bromwich (2022), Kenny Bromwich (2020), Will Chambers (2020), Brodie Croft (2020), Dale Finucane (2021), Jahrome Hughes (2020), Ryley Jacks (2018), Felise Kaufusi (2019), Billy Slater (2018), Brandon Smith (2022), Joe Stimson (2019), Suliasi Vunivalu (2020), Christian Welch (2019)
Off Contract 2017: Cooper Cronk, Nate Myles

I am trying to crunch the numbers and it seems I have a gap.

We must still be quite a bit under our salary cap.

Cronk would have been on a million, Harris on $420,000 and McLean on $390,000

We have picked up Sam Kasiano for about $600,000

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1508836336

and Ryan Hoffman for about $260,000

Patrick Kaufisi for about $200,000

Assume we resigned players for an extra $300,000

that means we are approximately $400,000 to $500,000 under the salary cap.

Surely we can afford a really decent big front row forward for that amount which is what we are lacking imo.

or any player that will help us go back to back?

Can anyone else help me our with the $$$$$ numbers.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron I spoke to Nate Myles at the Player of the Year night and he said he will be at Storm next year.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Scooter wrote:Cameron I spoke to Nate Myles at the Player of the Year night and he said he will be at Storm next year.
Sally asked someone on Twitter about this today and they said he hadn't been offered a contract
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well if that is true, even more so we must be at least $500,000 under the salary cap - looking at the whole of the capanomics equation.

Surely we should have enough cap space to go after one more forward, especially a bi forward to complement our pack and replace the now Australian player Jordan Mclean.

I would hate to see us lose next years premiership because we didn't use our full cap entitlement.

Especially with the way the Roosters seem to be manipulating theirs.

and the fact North Queensland can have Thurston, Morgan, Scott and Jason Taumalolo and still have enough room to steal Jordan Mclean.

With the players going and the players coming in and the relative salaries of both; We still seem to be one player short, if my sums are correct.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

No idea where you get your figures from. As far as I can tell player salaries are a mystery and when you factor in Third Party Agreements and any incentive bonus clauses in player contracts it's nearly impossible for an outsider to estimate what the club may or may not be spending.

The club upgraded the contracts of a bunch of youngsters this season and as far as I can tell no actual dollar terms were reported.

You can't even go by market value for players because each club realistically plays to a different budget (depending on their access to TPA sponsors) and different value systems (valuing local talent, rebuilding a roster, trying to gain commercial buy-in, etc). A player may be paid $1m by their club but their market value (the average amount other clubs would be willing to pay for them) could be a lot lower eg Ben Hunt.

I think it would be great if the club financials were more transparent but it's not something the RLPA are supportive of and unless that happens any speculation around surplus or deficits would be largely unfounded.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Surely Kasiano was about $150,000 more than Mclean. Harris would be more than Hoffman by about $100,000. Patrick Kafusi would come at about $250,000

But surely Cronk would be on $1,100,000 and Croft on only about $300,000.

That leaves approximately $500,000.

Also Nate Myles is off the books.

We would not have upgraded other players contracts by $500,000 SURELY.

We must have some salary cap space and maybe we are waiting for the Cronk/Pearce fall out or see who needs to be released off other teams books before we pounce and buy another player.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

We signed up JAC, Vunivalu, NAS, Croft, B Smith, Hughes, Finucane and Jacks on new and improved deals during the year. Plus there is always front loading and back loading of contacts.

So yeah salary cap space estimating is just pure guess work. Impossible to know how much we have.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

You might be right. We might have front ended some deals to give us extra cap for the 2019 season.