World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Neldog
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cameron wrote:Hi Neldog,

It depends if you are in the city or in Richmond.

the precinct that AAMI Park is in; also has the MCG and Rod Laver Arena as well. So it is one of the great epicenters of sporting environments in the world.

There are some great pubs around the Swans St, Punt Rd and Bridge Rd precinct near the MCG and AAMI that supporters or all sports drink at.

The Swan, the London Tavern, the Cricketers Arms, the Mountain View, the Royal, The Windsor Alehouse, the Arcadia, the Sporting Globe, the Bridge, the Royal Oak, the Spread Eagle to name a few.

They are all within walking distance.
Hi Cameron, thanks for this info much appreciated. We are planning on doing the MCG tour on the Thursday so we will get chance to see some of the area. Really looking forward this, any news on ticket sales?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hope you enjoy the MCG tour. It is only a couple of km from the city and you can walk through the beautiful Treasury Gardens to get there. All the pubs mentioned are within 2kms of the MCG/AAMI. It is a lovely precinct.

Advanced ticket sales have been good but there will be a lot of "walk up starters" to this game on the day imo. People at my work are just getting back from their long summer holidays down the coast or up the Murray. They are only just starting to plan their 2018 sporting calendar.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Leeds kick off the Super League season away to Warrington at 6:45am tomorrow (Friday) your time. The game is on Fox League so if you want to see what kind of opposition you'll be up against, throw it on record and give it a watch.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I will be watching it with bells on.

The Leeds players I am especially interested in are Richie Myler and see if he is really that good. Myler has the organisational game to suit the Rhinos, having provided 17 try assists last season in a struggling Catalans side. He will partner Joel Moon in the halves, and that combination should provide the ideal amount of flair and solidity.

Also, Matt Parcell who was relatively unknown when he arrived from Manly Sea Eagles, but he ended the season as a key component in Leeds' champion team and with his name in the Super League Dream Team.

Matt looks like a genuine superstar; he was Leeds' top try scorer with 17, Parcell also made the most tackles for the Rhinos, being the only player to notch up over 1000 tackles forming a critical part of Brian McDermott's attack and defence.

And especially Adam Cuthbertson who I think can really trouble the Storm with his off-loading. Cuthbertson had 121 offloads in 2017, the most in Super League by a long way.

It makes Leeds so difficult to defend against, especially if they get support runners either side of their prop. Cuthbertson formed a key partnership with Matt Parcell last year, offloading to his hooker whenever possible, giving their attack that edge of unpredictability
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

One thing thats frustrated most leeds fans for the last few years has been their inability to get the ball quickly to the centres. Kallum Watkins is one of the best young centres in the world and as he showed in the world cup, when he gets the ball in space he can be unplayable. Hoping Myler and Moon can change this and get him more involved. Leeds dont often get beaten if Watkins makes over 100m.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5464825/ ... otivation/

NEXT STEP Leeds Rhinos ace Kallum Watkins to use World Cup heartache as motivation
Rhinos skipper was agonisingly close to breaking Australia's line as England lost an epic final 6-0

EXCLUSIVE
By Gary Carter

KALLUM Watkins hopes to take the extra step as Leeds look to defend their Super League crown.

For had he taken just one more stride, he may be entering this season a World Cup winner.

Kallum Watkins went agonisingly close in the World Cup final

England fans in Brisbane rose when the centre broke the Australian line with the scores at 6-0.

However, he crashed to the ground with Elliott Whitehead screaming for a pass which would have led to a try, the scores probably being level and maybe an England win.

And Watkins need no reminding of just how close he came until being halted by Josh Dugan’s desperation.

“His fingertip brushed my heel but I thought I was clear,” he recalled.

“I never thought, ‘I’m going to fall over here.’ I just couldn’t get that step over and stumbled.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm watching the WARRINGTON vrs LEEDS game live and Leeds have scored 3 tries to one atm.

The player impressing me is Ryan Hall. He is 6ft 2 (188cm) and 105kgs. He can catch and run. He scored a long distance try. Played as an English international for 10 years. Ryan could present a problem with his size and speed.

One of the Warrington players had to leave the game as his wife went into labour. She was at the game too!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Leeds win 3 tries to 2. Leeds have a “bend but don’t break” style of defence which Warrington couldn’t crack more than twice because Warrington made so many last gasp errors. One of the Warrington players went for a glory swan dive in the corner and was smashed into touch. A couple of times if Warrington got the last pass in; they would have scored. Both teams move the ball around well. Entertaining game.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Brian McDermott playing mind games

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/leeds-coach ... ow-us-away

Leeds coach Brian McDermott was satisfied with his side's opening Super League win but says they won't trouble the Melbourne Storm.

Leeds coach Brian McDermott admits his side will get beaten by the Melbourne Storm in the World Club Challenge later this month if they don't improve quickly.

The Rhinos began the defence of their Super League crown with a 16-12 victory at Warrington on Thursday night and have one more league fixture - at home to Hull KR next Thursday - before flying to Melbourne to take on the NRL champions in the annual world title decider on February 16.

"I don't think Melbourne will be shaking in their boots looking at that," McDermott said.

"It's no secret that we're going to have to go to Melbourne and do something a little bit more, something different. I'm not going to do that in the first two rounds of Super League.

"We're going to have to hit Melbourne with something that they've never been hit with before and sustain that. There is no training for that. We just parachute ourselves in there for a week, go try and do it and get back out again.

"But what I don't want to do is get to Melbourne and have to explain away two awkward performances in Super League. So I want to get through these ... and then board the plane towards Melbourne with not too many concerns about Super League."

Leeds agreed to forgo home advantage in an effort to keep the World Club Challenge alive after Melbourne showed little interest in travelling to England for the fixture, which has been on the calendar off and on since 1987..

The match at AAMI Park will be only the second to be held Down Under in the last 19 years.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I enjoyed thursday nights game. Thought we played well and on another night could have scored 30 plus. Warrington weren't too bad either though and made us work for the win. Its the first time in 11 visits and 7 years that weve won there too so that was an added bonus. Something the commentators didnt mention was that the wind was very strong and ice cold too which i reckon had a big factor on play.

Anyway, next Leeds game (and last before we fly to the summer) is friday morning against Hull KR on Fox League at 6:45am. We are playing at the soccer ground for the start of the year while Headingley is getting redeveloped and they're looking at a 20k plus crowd
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sooooo I was stuck at AAMI park all weekend doing a course to help my local club and possibly park of a new job but while there on Sat and Sun we had an hour for lunch ..nothing exciting happened on Sat except seeing a few players milling around before going out to the family day and Frank Ponessi and Craig saying hi to us all but the thing that caught my eye on Sunday was the 3 hugeeeeeee folders sitting on the desks of one of the trainers and in Craig bellamys office ...they have gone to town with information ...the top folder on the trainers desk said Leeds rhinos players and was really thick the top one on Bellamys desk said Leeds Rhinos 2017 games and also was huge ...I couldn't read what the other one said but every time I walked past and it was like 50 times throughout the day I was sooooo ducking tempted to have a look but as we were leaving the trainer was at his desk I assume he must have been in the change room cause there was noise in there earlier in the day anyway I'm excited to see what happens and for the game
Go wolves and Storm
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Nate Peteru is out for up to 12 weeks woth a torn bicep for the Rhinos. Thats a timely injury for ex Storm forward Mitch Garbutt though who will more than likely take his place on the flight over to Australia
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Josh Massoud

Verified account

@josh_massoud
12m12 minutes ago
More
INJURY NEWS| Concern for new @storm recruit Sam Kasiano after today’s trial. Fears that he might have re-aggravated an ankle injury that sidelined him from training for a month in December. In doubt for next Friday’s #WCC against @leedsrhinos @7NewsSydney
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

8 replies 7 retweets 64 likes
Reply 8 Retweet 7 Like 64

Melbourne Storm

Verified account

@storm
25m25 minutes ago
More
Introducing acclaimed artist @itisnathaniel as our pre-game entertainment for the Downer World Club Challenge! Check it out -
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a5bb5431d3

With the NSW Origin playmaker running the show in the first half, Pearce produced two tries for his new team.

His second assist was by far the most impressive.

With an entire new-look spine consisting of Kalyn Ponga, Connor Watson, Slade Griffin and Pearce, the crafty half linked with his fullback for their second try.

Having earlier shown his finesse with the ball in hand, Pearce used the boot to put Ponga over.

The likes of Aidan Guerra, Herman Ese’ese, Chris Heighington and Jacob Lillyman also lined-up in the new-look Knights outfit in the trial which was closed off to the public.

The Storm decided to rest the likes of Josh Addo-Carr, Brodie Croft, Curtis Scott, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Will Chambers.

Cameron Munster started the match amid reports Melbourne were considering releasing the talented playmaker.

It was first real chance for the Knights and Storm to test out some of their new combinations ahead of the 2018 NRL season.

KNIGHTS 26 (Fitzgibbon, Ponga, Sio, Buhrer, Cronan tries; Ponga 2, Lamb goals) bt STORM 22 (Finucane, Glasby, K.Bromwich, Olam tries; Stimson 2, Munster goals) at AAMI Park