World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Leeds Rhinos‏Verified account @leedsrhinos · 1h1 hour ago

Brian McDermott proud of players after well earned win

Leeds Rhinos Head Coach Brian McDermott said he was proud of his players after they fought back to earn a 20-11 win over Hull KR at Elland Road

youtube.com

The Leeds 19 man squad for Melbourne trip:-

Golding, Briscoe, Watkins, Sutcliffe, Hall, Moon, Myler, Cuthbertson, Parcell, Singleton, JJB, Ablett, Ward, Dwyer, Delaney, Keinhorst, Ormondroyd, Walker, Walters

No Garbutt, Galloway, Mullally, Ferres, Oledzki, Peteru

Leeds Rhinos 20 Hull KR 11
https://www.therhinos.co.uk/report/leed ... ull-kr-11/
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We're coming over very light. 5 props injured. Only travelling over with 3. Be interesting to see what he goes with in the pack
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Who do you think your Pack will be? Most of your top players are coming.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Normally you would expect Moon to play at centre if fit. But given the way Keinhorst played yesterday surely he plays. If that's the case does Moon play at 6?
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Moon is a 6 now. Hes been a good running five and adds a different dimension to the team. Myler controls things and Moon, with his footwork, makes teams lives hard in the middle.

Sutcliffe is the starting left centre. I reckon Keinhorst might play as an interchange second row next week. Hes well experienced there. Or he plays centre and Sutcliffe plays as a ball handling lock. Thats another possibility.

So we are missing every single big prop anyway now. The 3 guys coming over are the mobile props we have.

Anthony Mullaley
Nate Peteru
Mitch Garbutt
Mikolaj Oledski
Keith Galloway
Brett Ferres

Theyre the guys missing. All big losses too. I really feel gor Mullaley. By all accounts he snapped his finger last night. Hes really become one of our best in the last 12 months too and deserved to be playing next week
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Harrigan didn't realise Moon was playing permanently at 6. Still creates interesting selection consideration with Moon, Sutcliffe and Keinhorst.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Yeah, well thats where he started his career before moving to the centres but as good as he is woth the ball, hes actually a poor wingers centre anyway. The move back to 6 was great for the all round ballance of the team last season.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Its in the main English RL paper that 14,000 tickets have been sold for Friday. Would have hoped for more personally. Hopefully a big push this week will get it up a few K
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne is an AFL town so there would be a lot of people who wouldn't even know that the game was on yet.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

harrigan wrote:Its in the main English RL paper that 14,000 tickets have been sold for Friday. Would have hoped for more personally. Hopefully a big push this week will get it up a few K

As an ex-pat i feel i can say that the 'thrill' of seeing 'Super leagues' best players (i.e Rhino's) for an Australian audience dose not match the thrill of seeing 'NRL's best for UK fans.

With all due respect (as they beat my team Hull KR last week) Is there one World Class superstar in the leeds team that would attract people to come.

I went to a few WCC in England to see the stars of the game play, by that i mean big name Australians who i only saw on TV.

As has been said NRL is not the number one sport in Melbourne, and is probably not the number one sport in australia contrary to many peoples thought s in UK. So the bulk of the attendance will be Storm fans, with a few loyal followers of Leeds, plus a few more ex-pat league fans. If the game is held in Leeds/huddersfield/hull/ M62. then fans would travel an hour or two from other towns to the game. so realistically i think an attendance of 14-16K would be quite good
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Plus the game is going to be live on Channel 9 anyway; so a lot of people would rather sit at home on a Friday night after a long week and crack open a “tinnie” and “throw another shrimp on the barbie” and watch the game on the telly.

https://www.nineentertainmentco.com.au/ ... ge-on-nine

“For the first time, fans right across Australia will also get access to LIVE streamed rugby league matches on Nine via 9Now on all devices. It’s a huge year on the ‘Home of Rugby League’ and we can’t wait for it to start.”

Phil Gould will be joined in commentary by rugby league Immortals Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis, along with former Australian, Queensland and Broncos captain Darren Lockyer and the host, James Bracey.

Expert commentator Phil Gould said: “I’ve run out of superlatives for the Melbourne Storm. They continually set the standard in the NRL and face a new challenge in 2018 with the departure of Cooper Cronk and the emergence of Brodie Croft in his place.

“Playing this at home in Melbourne is a huge advantage. It’s a tough enough challenge for interstate NRL teams let alone a team from the north of England. Interestingly, the Leeds Rhinos are the Super League equivalent of the Storm with their run of success over the last decade.

“Unlike the highly structured style of modern-day NRL teams, the Rhinos like to play an expansive and unpredictable brand of football that may prove unorthodox to the Storm. It’s an interesting match-up and a great way to start rugby league in 2018.”

As happens in our great country; the rival football codes come out firing to try and knock each other off and the AFL is planning to showcase their new game AFLX on the same night. Plus you have got the AFL woman’s competition which has become hugely popular here in Oz with over 43,000 turning up to a recent game of women’s footy.

Us Aussie men now, due to political correctness or great marketing would just as much like to watch a females play as males.

And that is why the NRL has to as it’s main priority make sure it has a women’s league by next year.

Once again; the AFL has got a head start here.

Struth Cobbers!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

harrigan wrote:Its in the main English RL paper that 14,000 tickets have been sold for Friday. Would have hoped for more personally. Hopefully a big push this week will get it up a few K
Sadly most Melbourne people would rather attend a low scoring game of women's AFL.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Correct. The media is to blame here as well. In the “local Murdoch rag” the Herald Sun, the last 6 pages of the sports section is devoted to women’s AFL football games of dubious quality where the scoring and tactics have been dodgy. Meanwhile a World Championship Rugby League game is about to be held in their backyard and there is not even a column about it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When is the team named? Anyone know?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hopefully soon. I went to the Rodger Waters concert at Rod Laver Arena last night which for the Melbourne-uninitiated is about 250 metres from AAMI Park. And there is very little fanfare or advertising near the ground or around the promenade.

I know us Aussies like to do things "low key" but we need some sort of media attention before 8pm kick off on Friday night.