Travel plans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

nacho wrote:when driving to NSW do I have to arrange for anything with my car as it's registered in VIC? Such as toll roads?
Toll roads are clearly signposted (the NSW government takes delight in reminding you while they rob you blind). If you drive on a toll road you have 3 days to pay. this can be done by phone or online - https://www.roam.com.au/before-you-trav ... ors-e-pass
Alternatively, the nice lady on Google Maps gives you the option of a no tolls route - depending on where you are staying this might work but it means you'll have to stay off most of the motorways, link roads/tunnels and the coathanger.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote:when driving to NSW do I have to arrange for anything with my car as it's registered in VIC? Such as toll roads?
Do you have an E Tag or Eastlink Tag? They'll all work on all Toll Roads in Australia.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very happy to revive this thread!

I am doing a repeat of my Melbourne > Goulburn > Homebush route. I found that was excellent. 11 hours driving in the one day is a bit taxing but all worth it in the end. 6 hours Goulburn > Melbourne on Monday is a breeze haha!

Just checked tiger and its approx $400 return per person... bit exy for a Sydney trip IMO when you also factor in cab fare and accom (sydney rates)
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know it's the law of supply and demand but the Tiger flight, 0905 ex Melbourne on Sunday jumped from $117 to $195 in the space of two hours, similarly for the return on Monday, luckily (and somehow) we've snagged $333 return. How I wish they had an afternoon or even early evening (1730) start time.
What would've been great if we could've got the requisite number of people together, and the railways had some flexibility, and chartered a train there and back. I seem to recall the Crows fans doing that in 1997 or 1998.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone know a way I could be back at Epping by 7.30am Monday. I have to eork but I want to go.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Anyone know a way I could be back at Epping by 7.30am Monday. I have to eork but I want to go.
Truckie speed and drive all night 8)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Now the mighty Pies have also got through to the big dance and already securing a ticket for that I won't one flying up until the morning of the game. We've always gone on the Saturday and in a perfect world I wouldn't be flying on Sunday for the risk of delays but obviously have no choice if I want to attend both games.

I could fly out Saturday night I guess but IF Collingwood win I'd like to be able to celebrate it here.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Catching the overnight train on Saturday night - staying in the CBD Sunday night - catching the overnight train back on Monday night. Not a lot of difference in price for two to drive or train and there are plenty of cheap hotels in Sydney, as long as you don't want too many stars.

This way get a day and a half to 'sight see' but I'm planning on getting to the ground early to see the Women's game and hopefully the Tigers in the interstate club challenge (fingers crossed).

Now just waiting for tickets to go on sale.

I did promise myself to book refundable accommodation earlier, and also considered putting a few hundy on the Storm making the GF as an insurance policy against the expense - good ideas that I didn't follow through with. I felt accommodation was a lot more 'normal' than the last few years.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nuh I’m not going ...I don’t have the money I’ll watch from home I’ve got the Monday off though so go to the airport or fed square when they come home
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well now that Richmond are out (sad face), I'm heading up at 3pm Saturday (so I can avoid that other game) and coming back 1.30pm Monday.
Staying at a pub in Botany.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm hoping to go down for the game, and it'll be my first time doing so. Does anyone have any tips on where to look to stay, and how to access the ground? Ideally I'm hoping to use public transport as much as possible, but I don't know my way around Sydney too well.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:I'm hoping to go down for the game, and it'll be my first time doing so. Does anyone have any tips on where to look to stay, and how to access the ground? Ideally I'm hoping to use public transport as much as possible, but I don't know my way around Sydney too well.
I've been fortunate enough to see every Storm GF and have always just stayed in the CBD. There's still options for all budgets so you won't have an issue with anywhere to stay, also if you stay in the CBD you won't need to catch public transport as you can get around by walking.

As for getting to the ground it's very easy, just jump on a train at Central station which is their main one up there and the train takes you straight to the ground. It's all very simple so do yourself a favour and try and get down, it's a great experience, especially given we're guaranteed to play a Sydney team and even more so if we win ;)
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

And in previous years the game entry has included the cost of public transport - well the train anyway. Dunno about this year.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ice wrote:
brisbanestorm wrote:I'm hoping to go down for the game, and it'll be my first time doing so. Does anyone have any tips on where to look to stay, and how to access the ground? Ideally I'm hoping to use public transport as much as possible, but I don't know my way around Sydney too well.
I've been fortunate enough to see every Storm GF and have always just stayed in the CBD. There's still options for all budgets so you won't have an issue with anywhere to stay, also if you stay in the CBD you won't need to catch public transport as you can get around by walking.

As for getting to the ground it's very easy, just jump on a train at Central station which is their main one up there and the train takes you straight to the ground. It's all very simple so do yourself a favour and try and get down, it's a great experience, especially given we're guaranteed to play a Sydney team and even more so if we win ;)
Excellent, sounds great. Thanks a lot for that! Glad that you can get the train straight to the ground.

Yeah, I'm definitely very keen to head down. Think it's a great way to treat myself in my last semester of uni haha
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:

Excellent, sounds great. Thanks a lot for that! Glad that you can get the train straight to the ground.

Yeah, I'm definitely very keen to head down. Think it's a great way to treat myself in my last semester of uni haha
All good mate. The more purple in the crowd the better