Cam Smith - 356 Games

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He is still quite handy running from DH, he probably just doesn't do it enough - same as Smithy.

Out of interest I had a look at both players and how much they have run from DH this year as opposed to Damien Cook - a true running hooker.

Smith - 33 Metres Per Game
Griffin - 45 Metres Per Game
Cook - 109 Metres Per Game
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder how much of that stopped with the knee recos?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would love to know what Smith averages in big games. Reckon it would be 60-70m.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Smithy's top running efforts in 2017:
114m - Rd 17 vs Broncos [Played at Suncorp, prior to SOO Game 3 team announcement]
87m - Rd 6 vs Sharks [Grand final rematch]
81m - Rd 24 vs Knights [to secure the minor premiership]
79m - Rd 9 vs Dragons [Munster's 50th game, Smith breaks all time goal kicking record]
73m - Rd 21 vs Sea Eagles [Smith's 350th game]
71m - Rd 8 vs Warriors [ANZAC day]
61m - Rd 10 vs Titans ['Home' game at Suncorp]
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That excludes his running efforts in the GF.
- 12 Runs
- 131 Metres
- 3 Tackle Breaks
- 1 Line Break

Not to mention his other non-running related stats...
- 44 Tackles
- 1 Try Assist
- 2 Line Break Assists
- 5/6 Goals
- 119 Possessions (next best 88)
- 12 Kicks (474 Metres)
- 0 Missed Tackles
- 0 Errors
- 0 Penalties Conceded

Who got the CCM again???
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah I couldn't find the stats on his finals appearances... ???

I think Smithy probably deserved the CCM but I was very happy for Billy to get it given his comeback from injury, etc. We're very lucky to have had two of the best players ever in their respective positions playing for us at the same time.

And yeah, I do think Smithy runs the ball more in big games. I think he touches the ball more and probably kicks the ball more too. He's the typical definition of the 'big game player'.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/18/as- ... -constant/

How Cameron Smith turned around his public persona
Konstantopoulos Timestamp Fri 18 May 2018, 12:00 PM

I am ashamed to reveal this, but I was once a rugby league fan that disliked Cameron Smith.

To be fair, my distaste was not just about Cameron. It extended to the entire Melbourne Storm team, particularly Smith, then Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

As a Parramatta Eels fan, it was very easy to be bitter and jealous of a team that had beaten my own in the 2009 Telstra Premiership grand final.

I did not go into that grand final expecting to win. The Eels had given me enough joy that season after a seven-game winning streak, which saw us just scrape into the finals.

But when it was later revealed the Eels had been beaten by a team that had, for a sustained period, engaged in conduct that breached the salary cap, I remember feeling very angry, then hollow, then disappointed and then ripped-off.

Consider how little footy Cameron has missed over his career. It is no coincidence. He is an extremely clever player, who is always a couple of plays ahead of all the others on the field.

When he becomes the first player in rugby league history to reach 400 career games, it will be an exceptionally significant milestone and a milestone which is fitting for a man whose achievements in the game may never be repeated.

I had the opportunity to meet Cameron last year at the Rugby League Players Association Awards.

Unfortunately, it happened to be the week after the Storm had beaten the Eels in week one of the finals series.

After I introduced myself and mentioned casually that I was an Eels fan, he apologised. I laughed and then took the opportunity to thank him for everything he has contributed to our game – both on and off the field.

At one point (and rightly so), the Storm were accused of playing boring, robotic, structured footy. Some people still throw that accusation at them.

When I am old and grey (and still waiting for that Parramatta premiership), I will be able to tell the younger humans in my life about how I had the opportunity to watch Cameron Smith – one of the greatest of all time in a similar way to how my dad tells me about the likes of Ray Price and Peter Sterling.

As for players like Cameron, JT, Slater, Inglis and Cronk we absolutely need to cherish them.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cam is also a great teacher.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/17/bra ... rne-storm/

He's the heir apparent to the Storm's ageless skipper Cameron Smith, and 22-year-old Brandon Smith is happy to bide his time and keep learning from the master.

The young utility knows it could be another two or three years before he gets an extended chance in the No.9 jersey but in the meantime, he's hanging off the former Queensland and Australia skipper's every word.

"My thought process is I'm learning from the best player in my main position," he told NRL.com.

"If Cam plays on for another four years, then I'm learning for another four years. I'm not too fussed at all. If I get some opportunities to start through injuries, for now, I'm just sitting back and enjoying my football at the moment.

"As long as I progress into a better player and a better hooker, I'd be very excited about that."

And he's already starting that process. After featuring in three games last year, Smith has played 10 Telstra Premiership games in 2018. He's thrived on that extra responsibility.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scouting Stories: Cameron Smith

melbournestorm.com.au
Thu 16 Aug 2018, 10:30

Richard Swain or Cameron Smith?

Melbourne Storm's international star at the time who had taken the Club to its maiden premiership or a little-known kid from Brisbane with two NRL games under his belt.

That was the difficult decision weighing on the Storm hierarchy towards the back end of the 2002 season.

It was Smith's debut season in the NRL and he managed two appearances early on in Rounds five and six but was playing predominantly in reserve grade for Norths Devils.

He was first spotted by then Storm coach Mark Murray and Anthony Griffin, who would go on to coach the Brisbane Broncos and Penrith Panthers.

"Cameron was this young kid was from Brisbane who played halfback but he had No.9 written all over him," Storm founder and inaugural CEO John Ribot said.

"From our point of view we had Richard Swain there at hooker who played for New Zealand. It got to a stage where (Cameron) had his first year with us but Richard was still there so we had to make a tough decision about which way we were going to go."

Swain was Melbourne's original No.9 and the year before he had become the first player in NRL history to make 1,000 tackles in a single season.

To top it off he was an outstanding person and a wonderful leader that help build the Storm culture that still thrives to this day.

Yet there was no denying the enormous potential of his understudy.

"All the recruitment people within the Club who identified Cameron just knew he was potentially a long-term player for us," Ribot said.

"Cam just had something about him. There was an aura about him and you just saw that he was going to be one heck of a player.

"It got to a stage where a lot of Club's realised he was a good player so there was a bit of pressure on us to make a decision.

"In negotiations we spoke to both of them but there was only room for one. It was a tough call but we went Cameron's way."

Once decision was made public it was not a popular one.

Swain was extremely popular with the purple army, who wanted to know why one of their favourite players would not be at the Club any longer.

"I remember after a game I had to go an explain to our supporters why we would possibly think of letting Richard Swain go," Ribot said.

"I just tried to explain to them to believe what we were about because we just thought he is going to be something really special."

'Really special' turned out to be an undersell.

Cameron Smith has gone on to play the most games in NRL history (378), with the most win (268), captained more games than any other player in Premiership history (275) and has been named Storm Player of the Year and Dally M Hooker of the Year seven times.

It cannot be understated though the impact Swain had on Smith's career during that debut season, helping him to lay the foundation to become arguably the greatest player the game has ever seen.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Talk about a Sliding Doors moment for the club. Had Smith not been signed, what would have happened and where would we be now? I don't even really want to think about it...
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: arguably the greatest player the game has ever seen.
No argument here...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

*Argued by bitter fans (99% of the time NSW fans) who have had their teams spanked by Cam for 17 years and counting.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's amazing to think that a lot of us (me included) doubted the decision at the time - says something about how good Swainnwas really
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: "I remember after a game I had to go an explain to our supporters why we would possibly think of letting Richard Swain go," Ribot said.

"I just tried to explain to them to believe what we were about because we just thought he is going to be something really special."
I remember that aftermatch, and also a fan day where Reebs and CJ had the unenviable task of trying to sell us on letting Ritchie go.
In the end it came down to, "You'll just have to trust us". And they certainly delivered.

Always felt really sorry for Ritchie though.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Talk about a Sliding Doors moment for the club. Had Smith not been signed, what would have happened and where would we be now? I don't even really want to think about it...
You'd have a different avatar, but what / who?