Cam Smith - 356 Games

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He would know, played with a lot of guys by now haha.

Wedding day, yay - couldn't resist, sorry, excited.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/12/cam ... rne-storm/

Smith getting used to building combinations at Storm

Building combinations: it’s not something Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith is used to, but that’s been the team’s focus leading up to the World Club Challenge against Leeds this Friday night.

The Storm’s young brigade - the likes of centre Curtis Scott, Josh Addo-Carr and halfback hopefuls Brodie Croft and Ryley Jacks - all benefited from increased game time last year, and Smith is keen to see how his new group of Storm players respond to the challenge.

“They all performed fairly well on the big stage, but there’s going to be an opportunity for a couple of guys to play in their first big game (on Friday), Smith said.

“I know that's happened in the past - the last time we played in the World Club Challenge was Tohu Harris’s first match in the top squad, and he went on to become quite an elite player in the competition.

“We’ll be looking for a couple of the younger guys in the squad to step up again. If you allude to players like Curtis Scott, Josh Addo-Carr and Suliasi Vunivalu, I think they are all very much looking forward to this game.

"They all played extremely well last year. This is a new season, and they’re into their second or third year in the elite competition, so they should be looking to make a mark on this match as well.”

With experienced players like Harris, Jordan McLean and Cooper Cronk moving on, the team’s focus during the last few weeks has been about learning a new game plan and getting familiar with each other.

“The most important thing for myself and the other boys returning later was building those combinations with the new players,” Smith said.

“We lost four or five from the premiership team last year, so there are new faces in our team, and it’s been a short preparation for such a big game.

T
“That’s been our focus in the last month or so, and hopefully it will work out OK on Friday night.”
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was full of praise for his two biggest players, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater, after last night's demolition of the Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Challenge.

Bellamy paid tribute to both players, who have pretty much won every individual and team accolade there is to be won in the past 12 months.

However, the 2017 Premiership winning coach couldn't help but deliver a cheeky backhanded compliment to both Smith and Slater.

In the past 12 months Smith and Slater have combined to win:
•2017 NRL Minor Premiership
•2017 NRL Premiership
•2017 State of Origin Series
•2017 Rugby League World Cup
•Dally M Medal (Smith)
•Golden Boot: World Player Of The Year (Smith)
•Clive Churchill Medal (Slater)
•2018 World Club Challenge
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:In the past 12 months Smith and Slater have combined to win:
•2017 NRL Minor Premiership
•2017 NRL Premiership
•2017 State of Origin Series
•2017 Rugby League World Cup
•Dally M Medal (Smith)
•Golden Boot: World Player Of The Year (Smith)
•Clive Churchill Medal (Slater)
•2018 World Club Challenge
Literally cannot be more dominant that that... Every possible championship and award.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

EDIT - * Wally Lewis Medal.

Smith/Slater missed out on that one. They must be sh*t... :lol:
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Did anyone see Cam Smith on 360 last night

Could not believe how hurt and personal he took Cooper Cronk moving on.

It was a great interview

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a46137e03d

While the pain of losing Cronk still appeared to be raw when asked about the subject, Smith said as the leader of the club, it’s his responsibility to embrace the change.

'“I was as upset as anyone at the club when he came over my house and told me he was leaving, I was quite shocked and taken aback,” Smith said.

“I would’ve loved for Cooper to finish his career at the Storm., it wasn’t to be so my mentality now as captain and one of the leaders in our team is to do the very best we can with the squad we have at the moment and that’s by not thinking about wishing Cooper was here.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Broncos still filthy Cam Smith didn't play for them.

Evidently he was going to go there in 2015 but Barb talked him out of it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9f1af4959c
Broncos great Kerrod Walters laments that Cameron Smith ever had to leave Brisbane

What might have been had Cameron Smith played his career under Wayne Bennett at the Broncos.

SHOULD Cameron Smith’s durability carry on unabated, by the end of the 2018 Telstra Premiership regular season the Storm skipper will have made 50 appearances at Suncorp Stadium; one Broncos great has lamented that it wasn’t many, many more.
Smith will share Queensland’s hallowed rugby league cathedral with close mate Johnathan Thurston for the final time in Friday night’s testimonial match titled, ‘A Night with Cam and JT’.

It is a fitting acknowledgment to two men who have provided Queensland footy fans with so much joy but who never once wore the colours of the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL.

The pair grew up playing against each other in Brisbane junior league competitions but while Smith was an unabashed Broncos fan the NRL powerhouse narrowly missed the jump on securing his signature, Melbourne sneaking in to snare a player who would shape the future of the club in an extraordinary way.

Not only did Smith reject the overtures of Wayne Bennett as a teenager, he revealed last year that he had decided to return to Brisbane for the 2015 season only to stay loyal to the Storm thanks to the support of his wife Barb.

Since moving to Melbourne and making his NRL debut in 2003 Smith has played 166 games for the Storm at their home grounds of Olympic and now AAMI Park, legendary Broncos hooker Kerrod Walters left to wonder what might have been had the Queensland and Australia captain never left Brisbane.

“I said to him once that it was a shame he didn’t play for the Broncos because we would have won more premierships while he was there,” Walters told foxsports.com.au.

“Obviously growing up in Brisbane I’m sure ‘Smithy’ was a Broncos supporter but obviously he’s done wonderful things for the game in Melbourne and Victoria.

“He’s been a great ambassador for the game, it’s just a shame it wasn’t as a Broncos player.

“But that’s how his career panned out. He’s been an ornament to the game and a once-in-a-generation player.

“I wouldn’t say I’m close with him but I respect him and think he’s been such a great ambassador for our game. I’ve got nothing but praise and admiration for him.”

In 46 games for the Storm, Maroons and Kangaroos at Suncorp Stadium Smith boasts a winning percentage of 71.74 per cent, that number rising to 76.47 per cent in NRL games for the Storm.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He debuted in 2002
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron wrote:Did anyone see Cam Smith on 360 last night

Could not believe how hurt and personal he took Cooper Cronk moving on.

It was a great interview

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a46137e03d

While the pain of losing Cronk still appeared to be raw when asked about the subject, Smith said as the leader of the club, it’s his responsibility to embrace the change.

'“I was as upset as anyone at the club when he came over my house and told me he was leaving, I was quite shocked and taken aback,” Smith said.

“I would’ve loved for Cooper to finish his career at the Storm., it wasn’t to be so my mentality now as captain and one of the leaders in our team is to do the very best we can with the squad we have at the moment and that’s by not thinking about wishing Cooper was here.
Thanks for the link Cameron. Will watch this tonight.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/storm- ... 4z20f.html

The Sydney Morning Herald

Storm star Cameron Smith given honour of launching 2018 NRL season

By Adrian Proszenko
27 February 2018 — 7:55pm

Affter the way he closed out last season, it’s only appropriate that Cameron Smith opens the new one.

Fairfax Media can reveal that Smith has been given the honour of officially launching the season on behalf of the players at the NRL’s season launch on Thursday. The Melbourne Queensland and Australian skipper has accepted the governing body’s invitation to speak on behalf of the stars of the 16 clubs at First Fleet Park at The Rocks.

Smith compiled the greatest individual season ever in 2017. The veteran hooker secured another State of Origin series victory, won a premiership, was awarded the Dally M medal, earned Golden Boot honours as the best player in the game and led Australia to victory at the Rugby League World Cup.

Having surpassed Darren Lockyer’s records for premiership games and wins, Smith is tipped to become the first man to break the magical 400 first-grade appearances mark.

For all his playing exploits, Smith was to launch the year because of the way he conducts himself. One of the game’s great ambassadors, he was honoured last weekend, along with great mate Johnathan Thurston, in a Storm-Cowboys pre-season testimonial match. The accolades and awards keep on coming, with Smith collecting the Harry Sunderland medal as the Kangaroos player of 2017 after his testimonial at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Smith is also a fitting representative of the players given he is also the general president of the Rugby League Players Association. The 34-year-old championed the cause of the playing group during the recent collective bargaining agreement negotiations, which resulted in a win for all parties.

Having achieved every conceivable honour in the game, it’s only a matter of time before Smith is elevated to Immortal status. The NRL has taken over and will apply a proper framework to the Immortals concept, although protocols currently dictate that it is not to be bestowed on those still playing.

The NRL has had little luck with its choices as the face of the game over the years. Most notably, Ben Barba was suspended for undisclosed “behavioural issues” two days before he was set to open the 2013 season. But in choosing Smith, powerbrokers at Rugby League Central have gone for not only the best player in the game but also a cleanskin who won’t be keeping them up at night worrying about potential misbehaviour.

The NRL will also unveil its advertising campaign at the season launch. The theme for the coming season is ‘'This is how we lead'’, with several stars involved in the series of commercials that will be rolled out throughout the season. The campaign will have a social media component to it as well and there are activations throughout the year that will highlight the tribal link between the clubs and their fans.

More fans will be able to access the 2018 season after the NRL added Crocmedia to a list of radio partners that will continue to include Macquarie Media, Southern Cross Austereo and the ABC - have re-signed for a further five years.

The Crocmedia deal will result in live calls returning to 2SM, as well as other regional markets.

“This will allow more people to listen to rugby league matches and that will be great for the game,” NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said of the new five-year broadcast arrangements.

“It means we can reach fans who ordinarily would be unable to attend matches regularly.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/one-se ... 4z2c3.html

I fear playing one season too many: Smith

NRL ironman Cameron Smith has given the first hint he might not play beyond this season and chase down the mind-boggling 400-game milestone as he dreads the prospect of being remembered for going on one season too many.

On the eve of the Storm's title defence - in which they are gunning to become the first team in 25 years to win back-to-back premierships - the NRL's record games holder has given his only indication that extending a decorated career beyond a 17th top grade season is far from a formality.

The NRL statesman was widely tipped to sign an extension at Melbourne to play in 2019, to stagger the departures of the Storm's "big three", but a candid Smith cast doubt on that with a fear his powers might dim in the twilight of his career.

"I have always thought I would never stay too long," Smith said at the official launch of the NRL season on Thursday. "I don’t want to go a season too long, not play well and everyone say you should have got out.

"I would rather finish while I am still playing strong. Family is a big part of my life - a bigger part of my life than what rugby league is now. That will play a huge part in my decision about whether I play again next year.

"At the moment, in my mind, I am not clear about whether I will play next year."

A bullish Smith last year said there was no reason why he couldn't smash through rugby league's previously unthinkable 400-game barrier, having eclipsed Darren Lockyer's 356 matches during the 2017 finals series.

It would require Smith playing for another two seasons - primarily injury free - and would also help usher in Melbourne's "Generation Next" after Cooper Cronk's exit to the Roosters.

Billy Slater, who is likely to play his 300th NRL game in an opening round clash against the Bulldogs in Perth, depending on a troublesome shoulder injury, is yet to make a call on whether he will play beyond this season.

Having already announced his retirement after this season, Smith's longtime Australian and Queensland teammate Johnathan Thurston said there was no reason why the 34-year-old should call it quits soon.

"I think he could easily go around another year and I hope he does, actually," Thurston said. "I’m being selfish but I’d like to see him go on and make 400. It’s within reach but I’m sure his wife has got other ideas."

The Storm have already started their succession planning with rookie No.7 Brodie Croft expected to step into Cronk's role. Brandon Smith is tipped to be a lead contender to replace his namesake at dummy half.

Melbourne officials will be desperate to avoid losing Cronk, Slater and Smith in the space of 12 months, but the skipper said Slater's decision would have no bearing on his own plans.

"If I wasn’t to play with the Storm next year that would probably mean my retirement," Smith said. "So there’s not going to be as much speculation around my future as with Cooper. But there are always going to be questions about what I am going to do next year.

"As far as Billy’s position and whether that impacts on what I do, it doesn’t have any impact at all because I don’t know what Billy is thinking, I don’t know when he will decide what he is doing.

"He might wait until the last game of this year to decide what he is doing, like he did last year. No one knew last year until after the grand final - including the coaches and his teammates.

"If the discussion arises around my future sometime soon, and I am happy to go ahead with those discussions, I will have those discussions without knowing what Billy is doing."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In all honesty - he has to play on.

The 400 game allure is just too much. Plus he has just come off his most dominant year, in a very dominant career.

I get the whole 'timing' thing and not wanting to go one year too long and start to stain an impeccable career. But on the other hand, you are a long time retired and you would hate to be sitting on the sidelines in March thinking, "Man, I really could have gone one more year".
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could see him pulling up stumps if we go b2b. Surely getting to 400 games is enough to play on though.

There is no reason to play him 80 minutes a game now with the other Smith looking ready for a bigger role.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2cdfc6a73c

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith hints 2018 might be his last season

CAMERON Smith has for the first time hinted 2018 might be his last season, telling media at the NRL launch that it was “not clear” in his mind that he would play on next season.

It’s a possibility that puts the games-record holder’s extraordinary pursuit of 400 in doubt, with the Storm champion — currently sitting on 358 NRL appearances — tracking to hit that milestone next year if he plays on and stay healthy.

Having just had arguably his greatest ever season, scooping the pool of individual awards including the Dally M Medal and the Golden Boot, on top of tasting the ultimate team success at club, Origin and international level it would be a shock if Smith decided to hang up the boots at the end of this season.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

THE (LATEST) REBUILD
I’m excited by what 2018 has in store for us.

In my entire time at the club, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a young squad. Some of the guys in the squad are 18. I signed with the Storm in 2000, the year they were born! I was having a laugh about it with Ryan Hoffman the other day.
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/wp-cont ... TICLE2.jpg

I’m confident we’ll have another good year. This year will most definitely be harder than last year – being the reigning premiers always means you’ve got a target on your back – but I’m confident we’ve got the squad to be competitive in 2018.

People have been talking a lot about the rebuild here but, really, it’s like this every year.

We were runners-up in 2016 and lost four players – Kevin Proctor, Blake Green, Marika Koroibete and Ben Hampton from that grand final team. We were premiers in 2017 and lost Cooper Cronk, Tohu Harris, Jordan McLean and Slade Griffin from that grand final team.

It’s an annual project. We’ve approached it like every other year. Of course, it’s a little bit different given the calibre of the players we’ve lost, but the challenge of fitting new pieces into the existing ones has been a constant in all my seasons at the Storm.

Some of the guys in the squad are 18. I signed with the Storm in 2000, the year they were born! I was having a laugh about it with Ryan Hoffman the other day.

I like what I’m seeing around the club. I reckon Jahrome Hughes will have a big year. He played a couple of games for us last season and picked up an injury in the testimonial game. He’ll make an impact when he’s back in a few weeks.

And I think we’ll get a chance to see Billy Walters in action this season.

He’s the son of Kevvie and he’s really impressed the coaching staff with his effort at training, his resilience and the hard work he’s put in throughout the pre-season. He’s been asked to train at several different positions in the off-season and hasn’t whinged about it. He’s just gone in and worked hard.

There might be the second generation of Walters in first grade in 2018.