Cam Smith - 356 Games

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote:
yourhero wrote:Talk about a Sliding Doors moment for the club. Had Smith not been signed, what would have happened and where would we be now? I don't even really want to think about it...
You'd have a different avatar, but what / who?
:lol: I would say Slater but without Smith, it’s hard to imagine what the club looks like. Who knows if we ever hold onto Billy/Cronk. Who knows if Bellamy coaches his entire career here. Etc.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron Smith will play on in 2019, making the 400-game milestone an achievable feat

AAP
30 August 2018

CAMERON Smith has announced he’s planning to play on in 2019, paving the way for the future Immortal to become the first player to reach the 400-game milestone.

RETIREMENT may be looming for good mate Johnathan Thurston but Cameron Smith won’t be joining him.

The 35-year-old Melbourne Storm captain admits he was emotional looking back at his time with Thurston before his close friend played his 323rd and final NRL game on Saturday - North Queensland’s clash with Gold Coast.

However Smith isn’t tempted to follow Thurston’s lead, confirming he wants to sign on for an 18th NRL season with the Storm.

The off contract No.9 is now on track to become the first player to reach 400 games in 2019.

“I have got plans to play on next year no doubt,” the ex-Test and Queensland captain told Fox Sports’ League Life on Wednesday night.

“And the club are aware of that. That is just something the club and my management need to work out.”

Smith’s future appeared in limbo after he was honoured with a pre-season testimonial match along with Thurston.

He announced his representative retirement just weeks before the State of Origin series and there was then little news on his NRL contract talks.

But the veteran hooker is showing no signs of slowing as Melbourne look to seal their third straight minor premiership with victory over Penrith on Friday night.

“(Retirement) is definitely getting closer, being 35 now,” Smith said. “(But) I am really keen to play on. I don’t feel like I am slowing down that much.

“I feel like I am playing as good as I have ever played.”

Not even 35-year-old Thurston’s NRL swansong could tempt him to consider hanging up his boots.

The pair first crossed paths at the age of 10 as Brisbane junior league rivals before becoming close representative teammates and even closer mates.

“It’s really hard to believe that he’s got one game left in the NRL, particularly watching him still performing well,” Smith said.

“He will no doubt finish as the greatest player ever.

“We have certainly complemented each other’s game for a long time for Queensland and Australia together.

“I will always have memories of on-field achievement but I think it is more the friendship that we built over a long period of time (that is valued most).”

Smith insists he hasn’t got a retirement date - but he does have a bucket list drawn up with Thurston.

“Maybe head over to the (US) Masters... (then) go watch a Super Bowl together, tick off a few golf courses around Australia,” he said.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brilliant news to wake up to this morning when I read that before!
Daeman
Squall
Squall

Stoked he's decided to go around again, hopefully he continues his good run and makes it past the 400 mark.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... b2a352ea51

Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith refuses to rule out retiring after the NRL grand final

IS he playing games? Melbourne captain Cameron Smith has once again refused to rule out a shock retirement from the NRL after the grand final.

CAMERON Smith insists he wants to play on at Melbourne in 2019 but has again refused to confirm that Sunday’s grand final against the Sydney Roosters won’t be his last NRL match.

A week after dropping a bombshell that he could consider retiring alongside Billy Slater if the Storm win back-to-back titles with a victory on Sunday, the Melbourne captain steered away from the topic in Thursday’s joint press conference.

With coach Craig Bellamy beside him adamant he wanted the superstar hooker to remain at the club next year, Smith again pushed home the fact he remains unsigned for 2019 when asked about last week’s comments and if he would retire if the Storm won.

“I don’t have a contract for next year. I don’t know,” Smith said. “I worry about this week and preparing well. Hopefully helping the team prepare well and go out and play well on the weekend.

“That’s all I asked to do for my coaches and teammates and whatever happens after the year will happen.” Pushed on whether he wanted another contract, Smith said: “I’ve said this year several times that I would like to play on next year but at the moment I’m not in that situation.” Bellamy claimed he hadn’t spoken with Smith about his future since Friday’s press conference, but admitted he’d be mad not to want to the former Kangaroos captain at the club next year.

The 35-year-old has played a record 383 NRL games, and will almost certainly become the first to pass the 400-mark if he plays on in 2019. He still shows no real signs of letting up, and has been just as influential in the Storm’s run to this year’s grand final as he has in their other seven appearance during his tenure with the team.

However some have argued the fact he retired from representative football at such short notice earlier this year gives some credence to the suggestion he could retire with a win.

“He knows I want him to play on, but it’s up to Cam and his management and our club have to come to some sort of agreement,” Bellamy said.

“There is no doubt in my mind that Cameron going on is the best thing for our club.

“I want him to play on and I can’t see any reason why he can’t go on for another couple of years to be quite honest, but at his age he will go year by year. “We all know what he has done for the game and our club and the sides he has played for and he is still playing as well as he has ever played. “I’d be an idiot if I didn’t want him to play on next year.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Personally I think Smith is just toying with the media, I am almost 100% convinced he will play on... Hell, a couple of weeks ago, the Storm website ran a piece here Smith was "almost signed" (off the back of Sydney media sayng much the same).

If he does intend to go on, I'm just not sure what the point is of leading the media to believe he may pull up stumps.

Pressure on the club to up the deal?
Take media attention away from some aspect of GF week? (wrestling, etc)
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Take media attention away from some aspect of GF week? (wrestling, etc)
Yep for sure....off the Club and off Billy...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Personally I think Smith is just toying with the media, I am almost 100% convinced he will play on... Hell, a couple of weeks ago, the Storm website ran a piece here Smith was "almost signed" (off the back of Sydney media sayng much the same).

If he does intend to go on, I'm just not sure what the point is of leading the media to believe he may pull up stumps.

Seems it is the former. Smith apparently isn't happy with the deal on the table, hence the delay in getting it sorted.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote:
yourhero wrote:Personally I think Smith is just toying with the media, I am almost 100% convinced he will play on... Hell, a couple of weeks ago, the Storm website ran a piece here Smith was "almost signed" (off the back of Sydney media sayng much the same).

Seems it is the former. Smith apparently isn't happy with the deal on the table, hence the delay in getting it sorted.
Source?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I personally don't think there's any chance whatsoever he won't re-sign. Now that the season is over and when the dust settles on the GF loss it'll all get sorted. What are the alternatives? He can either retire which he obviously doesn't want to do given he said he wants to play on or he can sign elsewhere which I think is fair to say there's a snowflakes chance of that happening.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What is the likelihood of his re-signing being announced at Player of the Year Awards like Billy did last year? I would say more likely than not.