2018 Playing Roster

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:I really want us to give Sandor Earl a chance...only problem with that is our outside back are obv doing a good job and Sandor only wants to come back and play NRL ...I don't think he would be happy to wait around for a spot in the NRL while playing QCup...he needs a club that need a centre or wingers immediately
There's way too much of players wanting these days.
That's one of the things that makes Storm so consistent, is the players who play for each other and are genuinely interested in what's best for the team.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Think we still have a need for a veteran half, and probably some dudes who can play in the backrow who aren't 34.
sandor earl to the back row.

he's now 195cm and 114kg
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't want him
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote:Think we still have a need for a veteran half, and probably some dudes who can play in the backrow who aren't 34.
Jacks is 26 next year. He's our veteran half.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote:
Jacks is 26 next year. He's our veteran half.
Luke Kelly is off contract... Might turn into a decent depth signing if he can apply himself to a solid preseason.

Otherwise I'm hoping Cooper stays on as halves coach and helps the younger lads with their development.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

John Sutton apparently is still looking for a new contract so could be a decent signing. Can cover backrow too
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Doubt he would leave Souths though.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On NRL360 they said that Sutton instructed his manager to only deal with Souths and just get a deal done. Apparently not interested in other NRL clubs.

Either way, not someone that would bring a whole lot to our club IMO.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:On NRL360 they said that Sutton instructed his manager to only deal with Souths and just get a deal done. Apparently not interested in other NRL clubs.

Either way, not someone that would bring a whole lot to our club IMO.
pass big time.

why pay big $$$ when we have home grown talent that will be better and more consistent
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Patrick Kaufusi confirmed by club, just waiting for cooling off period to pass for official announcement.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Really optimistic about our chances next year too. I'm bullish about Croft and B Smith if he can stay fit. And think Hughes could be amazing too if we can give him enough game time.

I wonder if we could use Blair off the bench as a utility? Too good for feeder club but wouldn't play him over Scott or Chambers.

1 slater
2 jac
3 Scott
4 chambers
5 suli
6 munster
7 croft
8 jesse
9 cam
10 glasby
11 felise
12 stimson
13 finucane

14 nas
15 kenny
16 kasiano
17 ????

???? = blair, Hughes, b smith, pat kaufusi, Jacks, young t, papenhauzen, welch, Walters, tui, leuleui, etc

Good depth.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd probably go with;

1. Slater
2. Addo-Carr
3. Scott / Blair
4. Chambers
5. Vunivalu
6. Munster
7. Croft
8. J Bromwich
9. C Smith (c)
10. Kasiano
11. F Kaufusi
12. Stimson
13. Finucane

14. Asofa-Solomona
15. Glasby
16. K Bromwich / P Kaufusi
17. B Smith

I'd start with one of NAS or Kasiano, then let the other come on ~25mins in as an impact bench prop.
I'm really hopeful with another pre-season under his belt, Brandon Smith will lock down the bench utility spot. His spark will be valuable.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I spoke to Nate Myles last night and he is staying at Storm in 2018.

Not playing related but off field you may have read that Nick Maxwell has taken a role at Collingwood as a leadership and culture coach. This job replaces his job at GWS Giants. He will remain in his leadership coaching role at the Storm.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The forward depth concerns me a little if injuries hit. Hopefully Kasiano proves me wrong and NAS take another step in his development. Think someone like Tui Kamikamica could have a real crack at a bench spot too. And yes to Smith off the bench.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Radical idea but could Cheyse play back row a la chris Lawrence?