Round 22 - Cowboys vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Four forwards is the way to go. Having an outside back on the bench is a total waste. Concerned about injuries? Don't play anyone.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree however I will say this, it is possibly worth a go later in the season if we have top two sewn up just as an experiment to see how it goes and potentially open up another option going into the finals.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ok so I thought Brandon Smith was out for the year but Frank Ponnisi mentioned hopefully by round 26. Not sure why I thought he was out for the season.
Tohu week to week but hopefully in 2 weeks and Munster by next game.
Happy with that
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:I agree however I will say this, it is possibly worth a go later in the season if we have top two sewn up just as an experiment to see how it goes and potentially open up another option going into the finals.
Gotta come up with a really crazy team in round 26 if we have a top 2 spot already locked up. The only player that should be confirmed no matter what is Cronk because it's his last home game.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Danger D wrote:Also good to have Griffin around in case Cam's shoulder/pec problem gets aggravated. I'm not Slade's biggest fan but I feel he did a decent job against Manly.
He went well as a bench back rower. I actually think he's a pretty good footballer; it's just he's not a hooker.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Be interesting to see if he gets re-signed
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Be interesting to see if he gets re-signed
Yes this.

wondered the same today.

No contract for 2018...strange for a player that Craig supposedly loves.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Brandon Smith the bench hooking option - and a real useful option too given the impact he can provide - is there realistically even a spot for Slade?

In the squad? Maybe. In the regular 17 or even first drop replacements? I'd say no.

His defence is good. Running game from DH solid. Service from DH mediocre. I definitely don't think he is a backrow option worth carrying over other larger guys.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To be fair to Slade, he was a much more dynamic player before the injuries.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair play to Griffin, coming back from the horrific run of knee injuries, he has done exceptionally well. He has heart.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I heard Newcastle Knights are interested in Griffen
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

bula wrote:Ok so I thought Brandon Smith was out for the year but Frank Ponnisi mentioned hopefully by round 26. Not sure why I thought he was out for the season.
Tohu week to week but hopefully in 2 weeks and Munster by next game.
Happy with that

Yes agree that is good.

Re Brandon, the initial estimate had him returning around rounds 25 or 26 or week 1 finals, so seems he is still in that ball park
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:With Brandon Smith the bench hooking option - and a real useful option too given the impact he can provide - is there realistically even a spot for Slade?

In the squad? Maybe. In the regular 17 or even first drop replacements? I'd say no.

His defence is good. Running game from DH solid. Service from DH mediocre. I definitely don't think he is a backrow option worth carrying over other larger guys.
I tend to agree with this assessment but I think he would be a decent depth signing given he's had a run in first grade and knows our systems and structures.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RobbieRoss wrote:I am looking at Hughes as backup for Billy or indeed Jacks , and if Cam has an issue then Bill and Kenny could share dummy half with Jahrome to FB.
Wanting to carry Hughes on the bench is a totally valid viewpoint given the outstanding form he's been in but him replacing Billy at fullback is sheer sacrilege! No one moves Billy out of fullback - in fact I would petition that we break with rugby league tradition and retire the number 1 jersey as no mortal would ever fill Billy's boots! Of course I jest. I think what you've proposed is totally viable but just of the opinion that we have a better option.
Mister M
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

blazza18 wrote:
Mattpoet wrote:I agree however I will say this, it is possibly worth a go later in the season if we have top two sewn up just as an experiment to see how it goes and potentially open up another option going into the finals.
Gotta come up with a really crazy team in round 26 if we have a top 2 spot already locked up. The only player that should be confirmed no matter what is Cronk because it's his last home game.
That sounds like a HORRIBLE idea.

If you are going to rest players prior to finals, spread it out over a few weeks but have most of the core group back for the Round 26 game. The Round 26 game is really important for consistency and match practice at that time of the season.

If a player is rested on Round 26 they can go from 27th August (day after the Round 25 game) to potentially the 22nd/23rd September (Prelim final weekend) having only played ONE game (the qualifying final). Players need to play more regularly than one game within a month.